Debating finally picking up a PS3.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Scykoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Scykoh
Member since 2008 • 47 Posts

So, I've really been thinking hard about picking up a PS3. I've got the money at the moment (which is a big deal, I'm a kid with no job) but I'm not sure if there's enough to make it worth it for me.

I really want to check out MGS4, Resistance and Killzone 2. There's not a whole lot I see that I really want for now, which is why I'm so hesitant to buy it. I know I'm eventually REALLY going to want God of War 3 and FF13 Versus, if those end up being PS3 exclusive.

Anyways, the reason I made this thread, is I'm asking you guys to maybe show me more games (current or upcoming) that will make it an easier decision. I'm not the kind of guy to buy an entire console for just a couple games, which is really what it feels like to me right now.

Should I wait 'till the big games I'm waiting for to buy it, since it'll be cheaper then? Is there enough already here to make it worth buying?

Honest opinions, thanks everyone.

burock76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 burock76
Member since 2008 • 1220 Posts

Don't think of it only as a gaming console. With this machine you'll also be getting a blu-ray player which is essential if you are into watching movies. Besides that, there are other great games other than exclusives. RE5 is coming in app. 2 weeks time. After that, Heavy rain (exclusive), Uncharted 2 (exclusive), GoW III (exclusive), Infamous (exclusive) those should be enough to decide.

DirkXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 DirkXXVI
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

So, I've really been thinking hard about picking up a PS3. I've got the money at the moment (which is a big deal, I'm a kid with no job) but I'm not sure if there's enough to make it worth it for me.

I really want to check out MGS4, Resistance and Killzone 2. There's not a whole lot I see that I really want for now, which is why I'm so hesitant to buy it. I know I'm eventually REALLY going to want God of War 3 and FF13 Versus, if those end up being PS3 exclusive.

Anyways, the reason I made this thread, is I'm asking you guys to maybe show me more games (current or upcoming) that will make it an easier decision. I'm not the kind of guy to buy an entire console for just a couple games, which is really what it feels like to me right now.

Should I wait 'till the big games I'm waiting for to buy it, since it'll be cheaper then? Is there enough already here to make it worth buying?

Scykoh

If you really enjoiy a good story I'd recomend following Heavy Rain as thats going to be an exclusive. Dead Rising 2 is a multi-platform game this time around so when that comes out you'll get a chance to play it. I'm pretty sure you know that all the sports titles come out for both 360 and PS3 but PS3 apparently has a pretty good Baseball title with the Show. Of course who can forget Uncharted 2. You also got Bioshock 2 coming out on both PS3 and 360 if thats your thing. Then you got the main XIII title coming out next year.

However Metal Gear alone might be worth your while assuming that you're into Metal Gear as it really seems to be a love or hate game if thier ever was one. Mostly love though. Resistance is all right nothing special. Actually surprised to see the sequel got a 9.0.

Either way it's a good time to own a PS3.

rgallard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rgallard
Member since 2008 • 215 Posts

I'm assuming because you mentioned exclusives, that you have the "other" console. If that's the case, I can only tell you that i used to have the "other" console, and as soon as I got my ps3, I stopped playing it. Even games that are on both consoles are better graphically in my opinion on the ps3, and the controllers easier to use too. Ended up selling the "other" console for more ps3 games!

As for games:

Little Big Planet

Killzone 2

Resi 5

Street Fighter 4

MGS4

Plus many, MANY others coming out or already out. No sense wasting any more time, you've got the cash, go get one.

And as for it being cheaper later in the year, there's still no official word on a price drop anyway, so you may as well get it now as you could be waiting a while.

Tekkenloving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tekkenloving
Member since 2008 • 1546 Posts
lol GOW is owned by sony and sure you should pick up uncharted if you like action/adventure it the best in genre this gen so far
SmashingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 SmashingX
Member since 2007 • 625 Posts
god of war 3 and the versus version of ff13 are ps3 exclusive. i really love mine for reasons such as free online, most of the exclusives are good (if you're a current mgs fan mgs4 will blow your mind) you can store music/videos on it by plugging in a flash drive or mp3 player(to store music on 360, you have to rip a cd, and it can't copy tracks from your mp3 player it can only stream them), it's way more reliable than an xbox, the internet browser is pretty useful if you need game hints from your favorite FAQ site and don't wana go to your pc, theres really too much to mention but in the 1 year that i've had mine so far i can honestly say i feel that i've gotten more than my 400 dollars worth.
sa10kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sa10kun
Member since 2007 • 4290 Posts
You're a master debater.
DirkXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 DirkXXVI
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

Wondering what a thread entitled "Debating finally picking up a xthree sixty"would look like on the other forum.

Halo, Gears, multi-platform, done.

Scykoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Scykoh

Yeah, I have all the other consoles of this gen. About blu-ray, I don't have an HDTV, so I don't think there's much for me there. Having a web browser on it, while I suppose that's neat, also doesn't do much for me as my PC is literaly 4 feet from my bed where I'd play, and is always on.

As far as MGS goes, I haven't played 1 or 2, and I own 3 but haven't put more than a few hours into it (it starts very slow, and I just never got anywhere with it) but the series sounds incredibly popular so I'm thinking about picking up the 1st and 2nd and playing them all (if that's even needed to keep in line with the story?)

LBP doesn't interest me even in the slightest. I've already got SF4. And I never really liked RE4, so I don't think I'd like RE5 either, but if there's single console co-op I'll probably check it out, but it's not an exclusive, so while I may get it on PS3 if I owned one, it's not exactly a bump towards buying it.

All the bells and whistles like trophies, free online, and any other neat features it have, while maybe kind of interesting, don't really do much for me. It's all about the games.

Hearing FF13V and GoW3 are definatly going to be exclusive is definatly a bump towards buying it.

I'm going to check out Uncharted, Infamous and Heavy Rain and see what I think.

burock76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 burock76
Member since 2008 • 1220 Posts
well it seems like you have made your decision towards not buying the PS3. Why ask then? My opinion get an HDTV before getting a PS3
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts

You're a master debater. sa10kun
Lmao.

Anyways....Stop debating. Just do it. You won't be disappointed, I assure you.

Tekkenloving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tekkenloving
Member since 2008 • 1546 Posts
GOW III is definitely going to be an exclusive FFvs13 can go other way depends on se
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Wondering what a thread entitled "Debating finally picking up a xthree sixty"would look like on the other forum.

DirkXXVI

Ah i wonder how long it'll be before famboys disappear and real gamers come back. You should definately pick up the PS3 it has an amazing list of games coming out this year. What i do is go to new releases and look throughout the whole year. I'm certain you'll find plenty of amazing games.

Scykoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Scykoh

well it seems like you have made your decision towards not buying the PS3. Why ask then? My opinion get an HDTV before getting a PS3burock76
What? I haven't decided against buying, I'm actually thinking I probably will end up getting one. Also, TV resolution doesn't matter to me.

Anyways, thanks for pointing out all you have guys, definatly looking up all the games you've suggested.

Avatar image for carving_a_giant
carving_a_giant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 carving_a_giant
Member since 2007 • 1516 Posts
[QUOTE="DirkXXVI"]

craigalan23

Ah i wonder how long it'll be before famboys disappear and real gamers come back. You should definately pick up the PS3 it has an amazing list of games coming out this year. What i do is go to new releases and look throughout the whole year. I'm certain you'll find plenty of amazing games.

hey man, he's just tellin it like it is.

bukkookkub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 bukkookkub
Member since 2006 • 933 Posts

Buy a PS3, and download Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars.. I kid you not, the most addicting psn game i've ever played. And it has a cult following of people who are addicted to it like crack.

It's exclusive to Playstation, and even though it may seem silly now, you may play this $9.99 game more than you ever thought. The reviews of the game were taken early on, and don't serve the game justice. All expansions and additions are free forever, theres been plenty of bug fixes done and improvements, and theres another one around the corner.

...sorry but so many people overlook this game... visit www.battle-cars.com or you can view in game footage at youtube, just type in the game name

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts
Just get one. There's plenty of games out now that are great, and many more to come down the road. The Bluray player is just a great bonus feature.
Scykoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Scykoh

Yeah, I've decided I'm going too. Going to scrounge up my money and get it in a few days.

Now comes the tough question.. Since I'm poor, I'll only have enough money for one (MAYBE two) games, what do I get?

gangstarapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gangstarapper
Member since 2003 • 105 Posts

Yeah, I've decided I'm going too. Going to scrounge up my money and get it in a few days.

Now comes the tough question.. Since I'm poor, I'll only have enough money for one (MAYBE two) games, what do I get?

Scykoh

killzone 2 obviously, it's not even a matter of choice

Scykoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Scykoh
[QUOTE="Scykoh"]

gangstarapper

killzone 2 obviously, it's not even a matter of choice

Ehh, we'll see. I'm not a very big FPS fan. The only ones I do get are ones w/ local coop. Looks like a great game though, just not my thing.
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts
[QUOTE="Scykoh"]

Get it kid... you won't regret it! God of War will definitely be an exclusive... not sure on Versus though, might be a timed exclusive... check these games here on gamespot to help you decide... Available now: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Heavenly Sword, Valkyria Chronicles, Little Big Planet, etc... Coming soon: White Knight Chronicles, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, InFamous, etc...
Gregoric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gregoric
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts

Dude, if you're looking for a gd line-up of exclusive games then PS3 is what you want.

I mean there are great exclusives already (MGS4, Uncharted, Resistance 1+ 2, LBP) and there are also amazing exclusives coming out (Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2, GOW III, FFXIII).

As for MGS4, you'll get the best experience out of it if you play MGS1, 2 and 3. I, however, played through 1 and 2 and I still got most of the plot from 4 although I had to do a little bit of further reading afterwards. MGS4 if you're a fan, though, will absolutely blow you away, it's just filled with cool references and nods to the fans etc.

God of War III will definitely be exclusive, FFXIII VERSUS will be exclusive to PS3, although a version of FFXIII is being developed for XBOX although I hear that the PS3 version is the way to go if you want to experience FFXIII the way in which it was intended.

Anyways, right now the PS3 has an awesome year ahead, you shouldn't miss out. I see sooo many vid comments from people wishing they had a PS3 on the GOWIII and KZ2 videos, don't miss out.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#23 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

I wondered about getting a PS3 as well and opted against it. Got a PS2 instead and have had fun playing games I never got to play before like Katamari and Flatout 2. Not sure if you have a PS2 but if not, you'll certainly get more bang for your buck with an older system like the PS2 and Gamecube - there's a large game library for each and the games can be found cheap at EB/Gamestop or on ebay. If money's an issue, and for most people it is, think about this - my friend gets a PS3 and pays $60.00 for Soul Calibur IV and I pay $5.00 for Soul Calibur III on the PS2 - and regardless of what anyone says, the games aren't that different - ones just newer and when games are new, you pay through the nose.

pcbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pcbm
Member since 2003 • 611 Posts

I'm assuming because you mentioned exclusives, that you have the "other" console. If that's the case, I can only tell you that i used to have the "other" console, and as soon as I got my ps3, I stopped playing it. Even games that are on both consoles are better graphically in my opinion on the ps3, and the controllers easier to use too. Ended up selling the "other" console for more ps3 games!

As for games:

Little Big Planet

Killzone 2

Resi 5

Street Fighter 4

MGS4

Plus many, MANY others coming out or already out. No sense wasting any more time, you've got the cash, go get one.

And as for it being cheaper later in the year, there's still no official word on a price drop anyway, so you may as well get it now as you could be waiting a while.

rgallard
haha i did the same thing... traded in the "other" console and over 50 games for money to buy ps3 games!
Lobo_das_Neves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lobo_das_Neves
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Valkyria Chronicles

Disgaea 3

are enough reason for me.

But I`m not convinced with the current lineup.

Shooters, shooters, M rated games. I say ENOUGHT!

bukkookkub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 bukkookkub
Member since 2006 • 933 Posts
[QUOTE="Scykoh"]

seriously though man, get SARPBC. it'll be the best $10 you'll ever spend.
Fyrhtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Fyrhtu
Member since 2009 • 199 Posts

Don't think of it only as a gaming console. With this machine you'll also be getting a blu-ray player which is essential if you are into watching movies. Besides that, there are other great games other than exclusives. RE5 is coming in app. 2 weeks time. After that, Heavy rain (exclusive), Uncharted 2 (exclusive), GoW III (exclusive), Infamous (exclusive) those should be enough to decide.

burock76
Heavy Rain, no doubt looks rather spectacular but it will be long until it's release.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

[QUOTE="sa10kun"]You're a master debater. raven_squad

Lmao.

Anyways....Stop debating. Just do it. You won't be disappointed, I assure you.

Yeah, pick it up already. what could go wrong? You only gonna get great things out of it.