Corpse physics in Uncharted 2 and Infamous

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ae86ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 ae86ben
Member since 2002 • 65 Posts

Could owners of either game please comment on how the dead bodies react when shot at/walked over/blown up?

For me a lack of freemoving ragdoll physics on corpses really drop the immersion factor down a notch, to the point where I would not buy a game, or if I bought it I would resell it on eBay (Far Cry 2 and COD4 MW spring to mind). Thus it is really important to me that Uncharted 2 and Infamous have this aspect down pat, ala MGS4 and GTA4.

I'm looking at buying these 2 games in the coming weeks so your feedback is appreciated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc291bf3d647
deactivated-5bc291bf3d647

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 deactivated-5bc291bf3d647
Member since 2009 • 6466 Posts
i know u cant do anything to bodies in infamous....
Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

It matters that much to you? You must be one hell of a gamer.

nero_rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nero_rules
Member since 2008 • 738 Posts
Wow, that's a whole new level of nitpicking... I can't tell you about the "corpse physics" because it's not something I ever really paid attention to. :?
ae86ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ae86ben

Hahait might seem trivial but it matters. It's an added level of gameplay satisfaction when you shoot a body on the ground and it reacts, or tossing a grenade at a pile of dead enemies and watching them fly.

Coincidence or not, but some of my favourite games had this feature (Counterstrike Source, GTA4, Metal Gear 4, Gears of War).

nero_rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nero_rules
Member since 2008 • 738 Posts

Hahait might seem trivial but it matters. It's an added level of gameplay satisfaction when you shoot a body on the ground and it reacts, or tossing a grenade at a pile of dead enemies and watching them fly.

Coincidence or not, but some of my favourite games had this feature (Counterstrike Source, GTA4, Metal Gear 4, Gears of War).

ae86ben
I can understand it being an added bonus, but to actually determine whether or not you buy a game? Wow...
Dark-Star13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Dark-Star13
Member since 2009 • 2849 Posts

This is incredible stupid but I'll help any way......With inFamous after you kill someone they stop moving, in Uncharted 2 the body's even stay in cut-scenes!

ae86ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ae86ben

Re: Uncharted 2 bodies in cutscenes = Cool. :) But what happens if you shoot the bodies on the ground? Do they have any feel or is it just the graphical representation with no feedback?

Re: Infamous static bodies = If you throw an attack at them does anything happen at all?

3DayFinisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 3DayFinisher
Member since 2007 • 40501 Posts
In the free world type movement of Infamous, bodies don't stick around too long cause there's a lot of crap going on. But in some missions they stay there for a fair while. With that said they move around like you'd expect them to when you annihilate them.
aznpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aznpickle
Member since 2008 • 714 Posts
Wait I'm not sure about this but don't the enemies in U2 react when you nade them on the ground?
CraigyM83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CraigyM83
Member since 2009 • 648 Posts
I'd hate to think what interaction he has with actual deadbodies for that 'immersive' feel.
ae86ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ae86ben

As far as I'm concerned if a game designercares aboutattention to detail then they'd add corpse physics. The only 2 games ranked 10/10last yearhad some of the best physics seen and thedevelopers made use of itextensively throughout the game.

GingerDeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GingerDeadMan
Member since 2009 • 807 Posts

I am a physics/graphics buff as well but not buying a game because it doesn't have wacky physics (I hate to break it to you, but Havok ragdolls are overrated and not very realistic; IE. Half-Life 2, Demon's Souls, Oblivion, Fallout 3, etc.) they're fun to look at but are ridiculously flemsy and lightweight. I prefer the ragdolls that have a heaviness to them, Grand Theft Auto 4's were a little better but obviously the graphics of that game are nowhere near where they should be. There have been various attempts at proper corpse physics but the one the OP enjoys the most are probably the wacky fake ones that everyone thinks is cool when you shoot someone with a shottie and they go flying back in a pretzel-y mess.

Avatar image for chedarcheese190
chedarcheese190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 chedarcheese190
Member since 2008 • 793 Posts

let me be the first to say infamous does not have corpse physics. you just kill the body (death animation) then when it falls on the floor the corpse stays flat and the body parts dont move anymore. oblivion doesnt have the best corpse physics but you can move anything on the body or random objects with L2. im not sure about uncharted 2.

ae86ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ae86ben

let me be the first to say infamous does not have corpse physics. you just kill the body (death animation) then when it falls on the floor the corpse stays flat and the body parts dont move anymore. oblivion doesnt have the best corpse physics but you can move anything on the body or random objects with L2. im not sure about uncharted 2.

chedarcheese190
Cheers. I'm undecided on Infamous. Might wait till it's a little cheaper. Not really into RPGs so I'll give Oblivion a miss.
CraigyM83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CraigyM83
Member since 2009 • 648 Posts
Honestly, I've never gone into a game and started poking dead animations to see if they flail about, I tend to play the game. Only on MGS when you have to move bodies.
ae86ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ae86ben

I am a physics/graphics buff as well but not buying a game because it doesn't have wacky physics (I hate to break it to you, but Havok ragdolls are overrated and not very realistic; IE. Half-Life 2, Demon's Souls, Oblivion, Fallout 3, etc.) they're fun to look at but are ridiculously flemsy and lightweight. I prefer the ragdolls that have a heaviness to them, Grand Theft Auto 4's were a little better but obviously the graphics of that game are nowhere near where they should be. There have been various attempts at proper corpse physics but the one the OP enjoys the most are probably the wacky fake ones that everyone thinks is cool when you shoot someone with a shottie and they go flying back in a pretzel-y mess.

GingerDeadMan

I agree some shooters have ridiculous physics, but try Metal Gear 4 to see how it can be done right. Gun weight and feel, bullet characteristics and enemy models and feedback were just awesome. It adds a level of replayability, almost a sandbox feel to it that you can experiment with different guns and how they interact with the world. That was the primary reason I sold my copies of COD4 and Far Cry 2. Sure they offer a multitude of other in-game challenges, but sadly lack this one quality.

Half Life 2 from what I recall had decent physics for its time, and I hope the next big Valve release evolves it further. I haven't played Left For Dead by the way, not really into zombies.

LetMeGetSniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 LetMeGetSniper
Member since 2009 • 67 Posts
[QUOTE="ae86ben"]

Re: Uncharted 2 bodies in cutscenes = Cool. :) But what happens if you shoot the bodies on the ground? Do they have any feel or is it just the graphical representation with no feedback?

Re: Infamous static bodies = If you throw an attack at them does anything happen at all?

In Infamous when you shoot a body with electricity you see them getting electrocuted but there is no major body movement other than lightning pulsing all around there body. And if you get hit by a train or something similar you will go realistically flying mid-air. In Uncharted the ragdoll physics are pretty good, you see the enemy twitch as they are getting injured but once they are dead you can still kick their lifeless bodies around but bullets don't move them around much.
shani_boy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shani_boy101
Member since 2006 • 5423 Posts

This is incredible stupid but I'll help any way......With inFamous after you kill someone they stop moving, in Uncharted 2 the body's even stay in cut-scenes!

Dark-Star13
it's probably because they use the same engine in the game AND cutscenes so they can keep everything the way it is. pretty impressive that they could work the PS3 to achieve that.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

Nothing happens when you hit dead bodies on the ground in inFAMOUS

Not sure about U2

Koinuboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Koinuboy
Member since 2004 • 3447 Posts
To be honest though there hasn't really been a game that did corpse physics well. They don't really whirl like that in Halo or Half-Life.
adizorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 adizorz
Member since 2008 • 1410 Posts

hmm the progession of games

zelda > ninja gaiden

wolfenstien > killzone 2

rape sim > necrophilia sim

ofcourse!

Machine758

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Machine758
Member since 2007 • 215 Posts

Infamous throws so many enemies at you, you'll be having so much fun blowing them up to care much about their physics, man. :)

Resistance 2, however, is sort of glitched-realistic. There's a torso before an elevator in one of the levels that CRAWLS slowly on its intestines because they keep colliding.

GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts

I think in coop of u2 demo I've blown up a car and the dead bodies went flying if I remember correctly. Not much time to play with the dead ones when playing on hard lol.

ae86ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ae86ben

Doesn't anybody elsefind satisfaction unloading a 12gauge shotgun to the head of a fallen enemy 'just to make sure'?

:?