COD Modern Warfare 2: Tactical war-game or arcade game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Livestrong101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Livestrong101
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I`ve recently started playing through intro by a friend and love it! What I`m curious about is playing style. I started off defensively (not behind a door with a shotty, just looking to stand behind a barrier). Now I have an M16 I come out and attack much more to get kill-streaks (which means not dying over and over). This for me is common sense but you can also read about it in Sun Tzu`s famous book The Art of War, and see it happening in any decent war movie. Well, yesterday I started Team Death-match on Invasion ( 4vs4) and our team were middle-ranked, but Op-Force were all lvl70. At the start of the game I found a position behind a wall in front of a building while my team typically took off like lambs to the slaughter, I`m not kidding, within a minute we were about 1600 points down! Then one of my own team started stabbing me and getting in my face (obviously wants me to attack more). What ever happened to the phrase "defensive perimeter"? In The Last Samurai the samurai leader Katsumoto says he wants the American Captain Algren to be kept alive as a prisoner so he can "know his(sic) enemy". In MW2 you don`t need to send out spies, it`s written on the screen! I`m curious to know about other peoples` playing styles and to what extent tactics are important for players in general? Are most of the players actually under the recommended age for the game? Thanks in advance.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

So basically you're trying to justify your camping?

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts
yeah, cod games aren't played how you play by most people. Its more of an arcade game. Your play style would be more suited for Battlefield Bad Company 2. But hey, if your enjoying the game as is, just ignore everyone and play the way you want.
FrogMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FrogMan5000
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
And in a real war there is no respawn...get out amongst it.
Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

Totally an arcade game.

Livestrong101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Livestrong101
But don`t you want to win the game?
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

COD is, by all means, an arcade shooter. There are many different tactics - you seem to be what most people call a "camper", in other words someone who sits in one spot and shoots others who pass by. Generally this is frowned upon, but it is your style and no one can force you to change. I will say though that playing defensively, not necessarily camping, but defensively is the best way to earn higher killstreaks. But by no means is MW2 a tactical war game - it is a fast paced arcade shooter.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
99% arcade... Call of Duty is the most pick up and play and "arcade" military shooter there is.. Camping is for people who suck imo, i rarely ever camp, i always roam the map and i usually get a 3-1 or higher.
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PoisoN_Facecam0
But don`t you want to win the game?Livestrong101
If you're any good you don't need to camp to win..
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Call Of Duty is FAR from being tactical in every sense of the word...

Livestrong101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Livestrong101
When I first started playing I was only doing Free For All because I didn`t want to "let the team down" but my friend suggested I try the team one which is more fun. But yes of course I wasn`t good, my K/D rating was 1/4, but also the best players have the best weapons! If you are a beginner you are a liability to your team if you roam the map. Now I`m lvl 40, have an M16 and my K/D is 1/1 so I can go out more and win for the team, but give me four guys lvl40 with Claymores and intelligence playing tactically (I mean using the map and seeing where your mates are) against lvl 70 with meat-head style game and I`m sure I`ll win. I mean I`ve just started and already I`m 1/1. My friend is lvl 70 and he plays defensively and gets air-strikes, Predators and sentries all the time, it`s rare for him not to be top on points and he has to carry a team of beginners like me. I think if beginners want to camp then the onus is on lvl 70 guys to get them, not whine about them or hassle them in game.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#12 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Wager Matches and Gun Game are the best thing ever to happen to COD. And I say that over Sniper Fi and Zombies.

Sandallman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sandallman
Member since 2009 • 408 Posts

Call Of Duty is FAR from being tactical in every sense of the word...

Denji
This sums it up.
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PoisoN_Facecam0
When I first started playing I was only doing Free For All because I didn`t want to "let the team down" but my friend suggested I try the team one which is more fun. But yes of course I wasn`t good, my K/D rating was 1/4, but also the best players have the best weapons! If you are a beginner you are a liability to your team if you roam the map. Now I`m lvl 40, have an M16 and my K/D is 1/1 so I can go out more and win for the team, but give me four guys lvl40 with Claymores and intelligence playing tactically (I mean using the map and seeing where your mates are) against lvl 70 with meat-head style game and I`m sure I`ll win. I mean I`ve just started and already I`m 1/1. My friend is lvl 70 and he plays defensively and gets air-strikes, Predators and sentries all the time, it`s rare for him not to be top on points and he has to carry a team of beginners like me. I think if beginners want to camp then the onus is on lvl 70 guys to get them, not whine about them or hassle them in game. Livestrong101
LVL has nothing to do with it.. LVLs in call of duty represent time invested, not skill. Air Strikes PRedators and Sentries.. wow, 5 and 6 kill streaks :roll:
Livestrong101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Livestrong101
My friend`s son has just started playing and he`s 12, he runs around meleeing people and gets lots of kills but dies a lot too, it can be a tactical game if you try to play using the map to your advantage. For me, I want to use my brain while I play otherwise it`s a waste of time. Learning how to use each weapon properly takes time, and moving from assault rifle or melee style, to also using a shotty for the middle distance slowed me down too, but when you get it to an instinctive reaction it make a bit difference. Thanks for all the comments guys!
Maximus923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Maximus923
Member since 2008 • 237 Posts

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is the most unrealistic, untactical shooter to ever be mistaken as a 'warzone simulator'. While there is some method, memorization, and repetition to being successful, a chimpanzee could hardly classify said methods as 'tactics'. It is, and always will be, an experience that is purely arcade. Have fun camping, tac. knifing, and toobing bro.

oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

MW2 was good before that terrible black ops was released. It has smaller community now, so it's not as good as it;s used to be.

Anyway, back to your topic. MW2 can be tactical or arcade shooter game depending on how you play it.

You can use SMG/sliencer with marathon, light weight, and cammando. Just shoot or knife down everyone in front of you while you are running around. Or you can play like tactical American solders in Iraq or Afghanstan, take good cover or hide while killing enemies without being noticed nor confronting with much resistance. Well American solders always have air support, and so do you as long as you play in their style. 1st one is an example of arcade style and 2nd one is tactical style. Both works well on mw2.

That's why MW2 is actually a good game...cuz there is no a single play style that dominates the whole game. Camper, tuber/rpg spammer, smg, cammando, stop power shotgun, quick scope sinper, and etc...Many ppl say it's unbalanced, however it's actually quite balanced, cuzyou cant finda single build that can dominate every playstyle. Unlike Black Ops...more than half players are using ak47u...lol.

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts

So basically you're trying to justify your camping?

Vari3ty

Thats what I got out of the story. CoD is far from a tactical shooter. Just because you can justify your playstyle, doesn't meanit isa tactic. Heck anything could be a tactic by that measure!

Sure you can try to impliment real life military/war strategies...but how does that fair when a napalm randomlydeep fries your team or rabid dogs suddenly attack? Its a whole world of difference when you apply real life military tactics to an arcade game shooter.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

MW2 has many different play styles. The people that cry about campers the most are those that run around with a sub and marathon. It's kind of hard to run around with a light machine gun. There are key areas of certain maps to control choke points and such. I've done it all in the game and switch it up to keep from getting bored. My favorite thing is the riot shield and throwing knife.

Livestrong101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Livestrong101

.but how does that fair when a napalm randomlydeep fries your team or rabid dogs suddenly attack? Its a whole world of difference when you apply real life military tactics to an arcade game shooter.

Ninja_Zombie83
Well, of course we are only applying the parts which are relevant regarding military theory. I`m not sure that Sun Tsu has a chapter on "rabid dogs" or "napalm" anyway. But he does talk about battle with a superior opponent, and in the case of the game it`s a person with more experience, more firepower and equipment. Why do the US spend so much money playing War Games if games per se are not relevant? But as the thread is to discuss whether other players think of the game as an "arcade game shooter" or not your sentence presumes an answer which hasn`t been settled yet. In addition to that, yes I think that this a justification of Campers because as you all know Kill Streaks come about from people being killed over and over (unlike Campers plan to do), and Kill Streaks do indeed rain down missiles which we can`t do anything about. I think for beginners certainly it represents a responsibility to the team. Lots of players complain about Campers but don`t seem to appreciate the benefit they have of not giving up Kill Streaks, and let`s face it everyone started the game getting killed.
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PoisoN_Facecam0
firepower and equipment have nothing to do with it, a crappy player blames the opponents "superior" weapons, a smart player wins no matter what.. A large part of COD though is luck, where you spawn, if it lags or not, if the hitbox works properly.. theres to many variables that can be chalked up to poor programming to really even put "skill" as the majority contributing factor.
GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts

Wager Matches and Gun Game are the best thing ever to happen to COD. And I say that over Sniper Fi and Zombies.

Blabadon
I fully agree. Its the first time in a cod game that I actually get half of the stomach nerves of what Socom gives me in a match. Wager matches for the win.