Cheapest Way to Expand Memory on a PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brennenstuhl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Brennenstuhl
Member since 2010 • 57 Posts

40 GB is a lot less than it seems, so I'm wanting to upgrade its memory.

Whats the cheapest way to do this, assuming I will pay (I'm ok at software fixes, but I won't touch hardware with a 10 Foot Pole) Geek Squad at Best Buy do the dirty work of changing out whatever, and how much, minus Geek Squad, would I have to pay?

Thanks in advanced!

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Hard drive change? Don't go to geek squad they rob you worse then gamestop. A 10 year old can change the HDD of a ps3.
TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
Hard drive change? Don't go to geek squad they rob you worse then gamestop. A 10 year old can change the HDD of a ps3.Fightingfan
This. Go to Newegg.com. You can get upwards of 250gbs for less than $50 with incredibley fast shipping.
joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

ya, don't bother with Geek Squad. I promise they'll charge you at least 3 times what you'll pay for your new hard drive just to get it installed. Just buy the drive and check out one of the NUMEROUS how-to-vids at Youtube. It's really a pretty simple process and you'll save yourself a nice pocket full of change.

GeneralHawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 GeneralHawx
Member since 2009 • 1853 Posts
Geek Squad Charges $250 for a 250 GB Harddrive, but u can buy a 250GB harddrive for $50
TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

you can't upgrade the "memory" with software, you have to replace the HDD ; you'll have to do a backup of your current HDD (external HDD or cable kit) to keep what's on it and put it back on the new one

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com have plenty of hard drives to choose from. Don't you DARE take your PS3 to the Geek Squad or any other place like that! They will charge you a lot more than what it's worth and it's extremely easy to do it yourself. Just go to YouTube and type in "Swap PS3 Hard Drive" and watch some of the videos.

Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Hard drive change? Don't go to geek squad they rob you worse then gamestop. A 10 year old can change the HDD of a ps3.TheEldestGod
This. Go to Newegg.com. You can get upwards of 250gbs for less than $50 with incredibley fast shipping.

this is sound advice. newegg.com is a pretty good site. its were i got mine from. i'll just add you should think about a western digitel brand drive.My friends "one owns a PC shop" and i have all found WD brand drives to be the better drive for reliabilty and quit as can be as well.
zekere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 zekere
Member since 2003 • 2536 Posts

Hard drive swapping is easy , only be careful when loosening the screws that hold the HD in its case . They tend to brake over easily !

taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

40 GB is a lot less than it seems, so I'm wanting to upgrade its memory.

Whats the cheapest way to do this, assuming I will pay (I'm ok at software fixes, but I won't touch hardware with a 10 Foot Pole) Geek Squad at Best Buy do the dirty work of changing out whatever, and how much, minus Geek Squad, would I have to pay?

Thanks in advanced!

Brennenstuhl

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6176090/index.html

read that and get the stuff needed, then do it yourself to save money...