Can you change the mac address?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Retro_Guru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Retro_Guru
Member since 2006 • 920 Posts
All in the topic! All help appreciated!
brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 brotherreese
Member since 2003 • 1049 Posts

No. Not possible. The MAC addess is built into the hardware itself.

You can change the IP address however you see fit (within reason), but the MAC address is permanent.

RomanticFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 RomanticFool
Member since 2008 • 203 Posts

You can change the IP address however you see fit (within reason), but the MAC address is permanent.

brotherreese

This is not entirely true...

You can change your MAC address in your computers, etc. There's probably a way to do it for the PS3, you'd just have to know how to access the settings and what not. To give you an idea, in a *nix you can change it through command line and the ifconfig command (mac os x, unix, linux). In both windows xp and windows vista, you'll have to use registry edit. For the PS3, its most likely very possible to do it - but its definitely impossible without the right tools, which I'm pretty sure only a DevKit might have.

brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 brotherreese
Member since 2003 • 1049 Posts
[QUOTE="brotherreese"]

RomanticFool

You can change your MAC address in your computers, etc. There's probably a way to do it for the PS3, you'd just have to know how to access the settings and what not. To give you an idea, in a *nix you can change it through command line and the ifconfig command (mac os x, unix, linux). In both windows xp and windows vista, you'll have to use registry edit. For the PS3, its most likely very possible to do it - but its definitely impossible without the right tools, which I'm pretty sure only a DevKit might have.

No. The only way to change a MAC address in your computer is to change your NIC. The MAC address is a built into the NIC. You can't edit the registry, or hack the system to change the MAC.

I can understand changing the IP address, buy why would you even consider messing with your MAC address?

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
[QUOTE="RomanticFool"][QUOTE="brotherreese"]

brotherreese

No. The only way to change a MAC address in your computer is to change your NIC. The MAC address is a built into the NIC. You can't edit the registry, or hack the system to change the MAC.

I can understand changing the IP address, buy why would you even consider messing with your MAC address?

No, it's VERY possible to change the MAC on hardware....It's "must have" knowledge for anyone who has ever worked in a IT/IS help desk position. It's supposed to be next to impossible to happen, but every once in awhile you'll have two stations that have identical MACs...which of course will cause a conflict. Even though changing out the NiC takes no time at all, it's even faster to just change the MAC. Not sure why you find it so hard to believe.....

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
PCs and PS3s are two different things. You do it on PS3, you would have to hack it. Consoles are always closed access to prevent people from doing anything to their hardware. Also, asking to change your mac address, I would assume you were banned from PSN for a good reason?
darkgundam9786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darkgundam9786
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
just because he is asking about changing a mac address dos not been he was band from PSN. He might be going to college and need to change the mac address in order for the schools network to allow him access. I myself have the same problem. I don't know about the PS3 but I do know that you can manual enter the MAC address into your Xbox360.Its a option under network settings, so it is posible to change MAC address on consoles . so Sony is just being a jerk like the record company. and Retro_Guru, if you were really band from the PSN then shame on you for trying to get around it.