Can the ps3 get viruses???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

manystylez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 manystylez
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts
I went into my room and caught my brother watching dirty vids on my ps3.... He says it's was his first time and now i'm freaking out if i get a virus.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
A PS3 is not a computer running Windows.
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts
Your brother?:roll: I haven't had any problems or viruses. Not that I would ever use my ps3 for such purposes;)
Mrbiggerdems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mrbiggerdems
Member since 2005 • 554 Posts

no most vids r created with windows meaning that they would have windows type viruses in them, and ps3 doesnt have windows on it get where im going, any way to stop ur from watching dirty vids on ur ps3 put on trend micro and parental controls lol.:lol:

Avatar image for BurningChimaera
BurningChimaera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 BurningChimaera
Member since 2007 • 1255 Posts

I think for a virus to affect the PS3 it has to specifically be encoded to damage a PS3. In case you haven't caught on, there are no viruses so far that affect it. Not even cancer*.(Geddit?)

BTW your brother must have had a tough time using the controller at the same time.

*Folding@Home

iamgamer22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 iamgamer22
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
no u can not get any viruses on a ps3 because windows is not running so no can halk in
XxDJANIMENIAxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 XxDJANIMENIAxX
Member since 2006 • 94 Posts
LOL! very naughty. No, ps3 cannot get viruses
maddogg74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 maddogg74
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts
A virus can only be opened by using or downloading an infected .exe file and the PS3 cannot open .exe files also a virus is programed to infect a computers operation system like xp or vista not ps3 or other gaming consoles as they use different coding.
manystylez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 manystylez

no most vids r created with windows meaning that they would have windows type viruses in them, and ps3 doesnt have windows on it get where im going, any way to stop ur from watching dirty vids on ur ps3 put on trend micro and parental controls lol.:lol:

Mrbiggerdems

thanks and what trend micro

manystylez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 manystylez

LOL! very naughty. No, ps3 cannot get virusesXxDJANIMENIAxX

i know i was smacking him around, but he is growing up lol

TelcharXI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TelcharXI
Member since 2006 • 1189 Posts
It is theorhetically possible for someone with lots of time on their hands to create a virus geared for a console, but how it would be transferred on the PS3 is beyond me. I mean if they can get a virus on a cell phone I don't see why it couldn't be done on a PS3, guess time will say if someone has that kind of patience.
Bravo_Delta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bravo_Delta
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts

I went into my room and caught my brother watching dirty vids on my ps3.... He says it's was his first time and now i'm freaking out if i get a virus.manystylez

Yea ofcourse u can get viruses, ill send u one now........:roll:

handag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 handag
Member since 2006 • 449 Posts
Yes a PS3 can get Viruses, But then it has to come from a Flashdrive or External HDD thats infected. There is No virus yet that can damage or destroy XMB OS but the FAT Filesystem that the HDD uses can be damaged or destroyed.
RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts

Mrbiggerdems

Bingo lol.

DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DJCUEBALL
Member since 2008 • 2562 Posts
You mean like STDs?
MyzeDivine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MyzeDivine
Member since 2007 • 916 Posts
A virus is basically a hack, and so far the ps3 has never been hacked, so there is no chance of a virus at the moment. Also, most viruses are packed in executables or hidden under another file type. Hence, they are written not only in their coding to affect Windows, but in their file allocations. It's pretty much the same reason Macs don't have hardly any viruses except the ps3 is at an even greater degree. However, I would expect in a couple of years for there to be at least one or two cases of someone getting a virus, but it will most likely be because they do something stupid or do it on purpose.
Tyelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Tyelly
Member since 2006 • 66 Posts

[QUOTE="XxDJANIMENIAxX"]LOL! very naughty. No, ps3 cannot get virusesmanystylez

Your brother wasn't doing the smacking when you got there so you did it for him? Just because he's growing up doesn't mean you need to teach him how to do it.

rayjapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rayjapan
Member since 2006 • 231 Posts

A virus is basically a hack, and so far the ps3 has never been hacked, so there is no chance of a virus at the moment. Also, most viruses are packed in executables or hidden under another file type. Hence, they are written not only in their coding to affect Windows, but in their file allocations. It's pretty much the same reason Macs don't have hardly any viruses except the ps3 is at an even greater degree. However, I would expect in a couple of years for there to be at least one or two cases of someone getting a virus, but it will most likely be because they do something stupid or do it on purpose.MyzeDivine

Even more basic, a virus is just a program. A program that does damage to a machine. Most of the programs we execute from the Net are from the PSN and we hope those programs are safe. Videos and images can't be viruses since they are data and you run them from within a program made by Sony that is part of the XMB.

I think if people start offering PS3 software on the Internet (outside of the PSN), then there could be problems. Until then, I guess we're pretty safe. Let's just say if someone told me that there was a GTAIV demo for download that wasn't on the PSN but some web site, I would never go to it..."if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't". :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5bcab65d395ac
deactivated-5bcab65d395ac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5bcab65d395ac
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts

in one word no

not yet anyway

XxDJANIMENIAxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XxDJANIMENIAxX
Member since 2006 • 94 Posts

[QUOTE="XxDJANIMENIAxX"]LOL! very naughty. No, ps3 cannot get virusesmanystylez

haha, yeah he's at that stage in life

sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts
[QUOTE="Mrbiggerdems"]

manystylez

thanks and what trend micro

Trend micro is a parental/security program you can turn on and off on your PS3.Go to browser,press triangle+look to bottom right-you should see it listed there,click on it and follow instructions to turn it on.
Th3Kev1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Th3Kev1n
Member since 2008 • 162 Posts

Your Brother........ right

Have you ever seen those annoying stupid mac vs pc commericals with the two bit actor that says stuff like "macs never get virus's"? Well thats because no one uses them. Not enough people are going to be using the internet like that with their ps3 for someone to create a virus speficially for it. Hypothetically its possbile but not in your my brother(/you) watched a dirty video senario.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Have you ever seen those annoying stupid mac vs pc commericals with the two bit actor that says stuff like "macs never get virus's"? Well thats because no one uses them.Th3Kev1n
Wow, how completely ignorant and off topic. First there are tens of millions of Mac users, second OS X is more secure than Windows period! UNIX > Windows, if you don't know that you really don't know anything about computers.
catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts
Yes the PS3 can get viruses. Mine has already caught the Flu.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#26 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
Your brother you say?