Bundle Wars & Indecision

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kyffre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kyffre
Member since 2013 • 35 Posts

Hey there .. wall of words warning~

Lets start with introductions.. I'm a sneaky, shadowy lurker that has been here for - ...just about forever x.x"I'm asking you awesome users of awaiting Greatness for advice. With such advice I should probably offer historic choices..

I come from a long line of console systems, where my preferred systems are; snes, ps1, and nds. I have avoided this generation thus far, leaping from x360.

My favourite games; chrono trigger, final fantasy, xenogears, grandia, psychonauts, mass effect, castle vania, alundra, terraria, dark souls, fallout, diablo, lunar star story, borderlands, TWEWY (the world ends ...), My genre is primarily RPG, but widely mixed with the exception of sports and rarely racing/fighting.

To the point: I'm looking to join this generation. I have decided that the best thing to do is purchase the C-Chasis PS4 CUH-1200 series model, which has the benefits of lower power requirements, quieter fan, and larger memory. The re-install speeds bother me somewhat if I don't 'prepare' a game in advance (unless its faster than I make/have my ritualistic morning coffee.)

However, the only bundle currently available is COD: BO3 .. and I'm not really interested in that game .. There's bound to be another soon, right? (as my limited budget gets me little else other than 1 or 2 games til next year, and I want a second controller for co-op/split-screen games)

I'm interested in; Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Fallout 4, Metal Gear 5, Last of Us, Middle Earth, Horizon, Uncharted, Destiny, and a few others.

So.. my question is:Should I wait asuming theres another bundle coming soon, buy used & a bunch of games (risky and preferred), buy an older/cheaper bundle, or settle for COD: BO3 bundle?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Kyffre: Where do you live? because all the games your interested have had bundles of some sort.

There has been a bundle which comes with 2 games of your choice out of a selection, and LoU has been a digital download normally bundled in.

Kyffre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kyffre

@GTR12: Canada. The price just keeps going up it seems.. and your right about previous bundles having a better game accompanying them. I'm fairly set on getting the CUH-1200 C-Chasis model though, due to better power and more memory.

Or is it more savvy to get an older bundle, and buy an upgraded hard drive later on? and is your profile/games easily transferred? Seems quite a hassle though..

I am hoping for a new model bundle coming soon but that might be unrealistic considering the volume of bundles currently saturating the market. There-in lies my indecision.. get more games, or slightly better system and few games, or wait a long time for an unlikely combination of both. I'm pretty impatient at this point but wouldn't mind waiting another month or two at most.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12

@Kyffre said:

@GTR12: Or is it more savvy to get an older bundle, and buy an upgraded hard drive later on? and is your profile/games easily transferred? Seems quite a hassle though..

There's your mistake...

Personally I would go for the older model, its been tested for 2 yrs and no real hardware malfunction. The new model has newer components and more efficient, but they could have cheaped-out on the fan by making it smaller or they could have used less thermal paste, who knows what they do...

The second thing, why get a bigger HDD later? why not just buy that with the PS4 and before even turning it on, swap HDD's. The biggest internal 2.5" is only 2TB currently, but that's plenty for most people.

Kyffre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kyffre

@GTR12: I haven't done any research on the HDD; from the price, to the compatibility. I'll try to do that tonight after work. My budgets isn't very flexible and it seems a waste to buy a ps4 and then have a HDD thats unused. You make a good point on it being untested though, but that 8% efficiency boost sounds really good, especially since if I draw too much power, my breakers flip on me :/ Got to compare that to the 360's power pull later on too..

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

There is a TLoUR bundle.

I would pay attention to GTR12´s advice, so far I´ve not heard or seen about any incompatibility issues on HDDs with the PS4 ( change the HDD before you update/ download / install, etc, etc, etc. anything, it´s going to be a longer process if you don´t upgrade the HDD beforehand ).

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Won't help much but, man, your list matches mine almost perfectly...

Quite amazing but hey : RPG man inside as well :)

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GTR12

@Kyffre said:

@GTR12: I haven't done any research on the HDD; from the price, to the compatibility. I'll try to do that tonight after work. My budgets isn't very flexible and it seems a waste to buy a ps4 and then have a HDD thats unused. You make a good point on it being untested though, but that 8% efficiency boost sounds really good, especially since if I draw too much power, my breakers flip on me :/ Got to compare that to the 360's power pull later on too..

http://energyusecalculator.com/electricity_gameconsole.htm

There you go, unless its a 360 S, it uses more power than the PS4.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-HN-M201RAD-Momentus-SpinPoint-ST2000LM003/dp/B00I8O6OQ4

That's also the HDD 95% of PS4 users upgrade to, but the price might be cheaper in Canada, it defaults to Australian prices for me.

Kyffre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kyffre

Well, I've slowly lost interest in the new CUH-1200 model since you posted the energy efficiency and how it still uses power more effectively than my older 360. The only thing though is value for the price..

pricememoryother
$490500gb2 games
$5651tbCUH-1200 COD
$6712tb (m9t)over budget
$8622tb (hn-m201rad)way up there

the 1-tb drive seems $40 cheaper.. and I don't know the difference between the drive models.. or the $110 travelstar 1tb which would end up in total: $615 .. with 2 games I like, compared to $565 cod bundle with no games. (cod isn't bad, just not my top 25 ps4 list) Though I can't compare hard drives effectively to know which is best especially since COD bundle isn't out yet to rate the hard drive?

I was hoping to spend around $600-650 reasonably, for the best value possible, with a good amount of games .. which does seem to imply I should buy the current hardware, not the C-Chasis CUH-1200.. Is 2tb necessary? I intend to keep at least 3-6 games installed concurrently, and have a variety of music stored, while keeping all downloaded updates/save game files for each game I've played (it builds up over the years.)

* prices are rough estimates, after taxes, delivery options etc.. and comparitively, a used PS4 500gb console sells for $300-450, $400 commonly)

.. the more you get to know me, the more you'd find me indecisively annoying ^-^ but I really appreciate your help thus far and have improved in leaps & bounds in my comprehension of the situation. Thanks!

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GTR12

@Kyffre: 1st of all, your welcome for the help.

Where are you getting that $110 for that 1TB? That seems awfully expensive for a 1TB 2.5", can you buy on Amazon, Newegg or find that model I posted somewhere else?

That would end up being $600 CAD max, if you only needed 1TB, that's even cheaper obviously, less than $530 CAD.

Also 3-6 games installed is exactly what I thought initially, but with PS+ and getting 3+ games every month quickly adds up. Lately its been 4 games each month, and AAA games are 50GB in size + updates, so lets just say 60GB games.

1TB = 920GB (which is actually) = 840GB after the OS reserved and everything - 6 * 60GB is 360GB so = 480GB left, then 4 games each month = 380GB, then apps, music etc.

Unless you play games a lot and finish them quickly, it quickly fills up.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

$110 for a 1 TB is by far TOO EXPENSIVE, the cost in Mexico for a 2 TB WD HDD is 2,200 Mex pesos @ current exchange rate = 133 US dollars, IMHO if you are going to spend do it now, the problem here is not installing and uninstalling physical games you own, the problem is keeping the digital games you purchase, for that purpose 1 TB is too small.

Kyffre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kyffre

man... I'd like to fully respond but I'm just stuck in loops with researching hard drives ^-^ the cheapest is about $100-$115.. the one you mentioned is well over 200

so far I've found ..

$125 - 2.5" SSD hybrid 1tb seagate *LM014 ... (490 + 125) = $615 w/ 1tb ssd

$98 - 2.5" sata 1tb travelstar *H2IK10003272SN (490 + 98) = $588 w/ 1tb sata

$79 - 3.5" sata 1tb barracuda *DM003 ... (490 + 79) = $569 w/ 1tb sata but that needs the expansion..

It still seems cheaper to buy the COD bundle considering the memory boost, since I find it really difficult to find a hard drive for less than the $565 it would cost me. Definately would of prefered 2tb but it's way out of price range ..even a factory refurbish store sells hard drives for over a hundred, and most are just 750gb

I'll have to either look harder, or local, for a better hard drive.. settle for COD bundle by the looks of it :/ .. or wait for a new 1tb bundle assuming one will come out for christmas..

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GTR12

@Kyffre: I see what you mean by HDD prices now (had a look at a few online retailers for Canada).

Seriously wtf happened in the last 3 months, the prices are through the roof, its almost as bad as Australia...

You could settle for the CoD bundle and resell CoD for $45-50 at launch, you'd lose a bit of money but you could get another game.