Bioshock - scary?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HerGuitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HerGuitar
Member since 2010 • 308 Posts

Hey, so my friend's birthday is coming up and she recently just got a new PS3 so I figured I'd get her Bioshock, a really good game ( or so I've heard). Now, I haven't played Bioshock yet though I plan to, but before getting the game for her and myself I wanted to ask you guys how the game's scary factor is. She's ridiculously sensitive to gory/scary/horror stuff and I wouldn't want to scare the living life out of her when she plays it :p However, she is big on story-esque games and everyone has been telling me how awesome of a story Bioshock has.

So my question: Any stuff I should be warned about before buying the game for her?

The_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_89
Member since 2009 • 594 Posts

I wouldn't say Bioshock is scary, but I did get a few frights when I turned around not expecting anything to be there when there was. I don't think they try to hard to scare you but I can see someone getting one or two frights in it.

-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
Its not scary but it has GREAT atmosphere...she might me scared at first because of the dark setting, atmosphere and the weird charchers but she'll get use to it quickly.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Hey, so my friend's birthday is coming up and she recently just got a new PS3 so I figured I'd get her Bioshock, a really good game ( or so I've heard). Now, I haven't played Bioshock yet though I plan to, but before getting the game for her and myself I wanted to ask you guys how the game's scary factor is. She's ridiculously sensitive to gory/scary/horror stuff and I wouldn't want to scare the living life out of her when she plays it :p However, she is big on story-esque games and everyone has been telling me how awesome of a story Bioshock has.

So my question: Any stuff I should be warned about before buying the game for her?

HerGuitar

The game is a bit disturbing especailly if you're friend doesn't like gore.

There's a part in Bioshock where a doctor is complaining about how all his surgeries to make people look perfect are failures, so he bashes the patient on the operating table repeatedly till the patient dies. The game has a lot of blood, some of the audio dialog is disturbing of those faint of heart. Character designs are grotesque and the first time you see a little sister, you see a Splicer who is about to kill her till a Big Daddy appears and drills him up and smashes his body repeatedly into a saftey glass made window.

To be extremely honest, most people only love the story because of the "twist" at the end of the game.

Pass on this title and get her another game like inFamous or Uncharted 2.

tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts

Yes! All FPS shooters where you are by yourself is scary.
I used to have a real problem with dying in games even though I knew I could restart.
And it scares me when you start off as a group in games then you get split up.
But yeah, lonely FPS like Quake, Halflife and Bioshock scare me...still love it though

Also, I recommend getting your friend F.E.A.R.

Dont mind the title, it's just irony, its the most non-scary game to date but really really good. She'll love it.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
It's more of atmospheric tension then scary. You'll jump a couple times though. It's a fantastic game, she should play it.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

[QUOTE="HerGuitar"]

fend_oblivion

The game is a bit disturbing especailly if you're friend doesn't like gore.

There's a part in Bioshock where a doctor is complaining about how all his surgeries to make people look perfect are failures, so he bashes the patient on the operating table repeatedly till the patient dies. The game has a lot of blood, some of the audio dialog is disturbing of those faint of heart. Character designs are grotesque and the first time you see a little sister, you see a Splicer who is about to kill her till a Big Daddy appears and drills him up and smashes his body repeatedly into a saftey glass made window.

To be extremely honest, most people only love the story because of the "twist" at the end of the game.

Pass on this title and get her another game like inFamous or Uncharted 2.

This. Tell your friend to learn to enjoy the suspenseful/thriller/horror genre. She'll be glad she did.
NotAFurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 NotAFurry
Member since 2003 • 6055 Posts

I wouldn't recommend it. I'd recommend Dead Space.

Joking. For games big on the story I suggest Metal Gear Solid 4 and Heavy Rain.

FallofAthens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FallofAthens
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

If shes not into gore or high tension games then chances are she won't enjoy this one. Unless of course this is the game to get her into these types of games.

BobBurnquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BobBurnquist
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts

From What I've heard, it is scary.........

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#12 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Bioshock is creepy, but not what I'd call scary.

If she's sensitive to gore, then don't get her it, because Bioshock is quite a bloody game.

Its one of my favourite game's ever :D

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's more freaky than scary, but it's still scary. I'm a whimp, so the smallest little things make me scared and not want to play the game. I have yet to finish it actually.

Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Serentor
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

Depends, people who play games like silent hill wont think its scary, for your friend, if shes really rediciolously sensitive, she will get shocks, but really scarry not really. I was nervous when playing it, because i never knew whats gonna happen next, but its a great game. If you play it together, then it should be fine, playing together side by side is never as scary as playing alone, because i played it alone late at night with the lights turned off lol ^.^... But you should really know for yourself hehe. Thats how i experienced it, i also dropped my controller like 3 times during the game from the freaky moments that scared the cr*p out of me hehe ^.^ If you consider a non scary game, do you want it to be a fps or any kind? because i think little big planet is a good game to start off =)

Oh, btw, bioshock might be a bit scary at some parts, but its my fav game of all time ^^ c my pic hehe...

HerGuitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HerGuitar

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions guys! Some of the scenes you described as well would make her pee her pants, haha (especially the surgeon one, ouch). Hmmm...well I figured it wasn't as scary, more like creepy/atmospheric anyways, so I think she'll have to live. She really loves FPS shooters and RPG's as well (with emphasis on story of course).

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fend_oblivion

I think most users missed this part of OP's post :

"She's ridiculously sensitive to gory/scary/horror stuff and I wouldn't want to scare the living life out of her when she plays it :p "

Bioshock has a lot of blood and gore. So, it's definitely not a game she would want to play.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fend_oblivion

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions guys! Some of the scenes you described as well would make her pee her pants, haha (especially the surgeon one, ouch). Hmmm...well I figured it wasn't as scary, more like creepy/atmospheric anyways, so I think she'll have to live. She really loves FPS shooters and RPG's as well (with emphasis on story of course).

HerGuitar

You could get her Uncharted 2 or Final Fantasy XIII instead :)

Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Serentor

HerGuitar

Well, yea, but he forgot to mention that the doc also has people crucified and wrapped in barbwire above him.. Its not a nice sight, lol. The psycho docs are nearly at the start of the game, but honestly, those were the only really scarry ones. Maybe the teleporters too but only at the first encounter.

If she likes shooters, get her MW 2, its not the best but its really popular and you can play together multiplayer or some coop campaign =) killzone is good too but personally, i thought its fricken hard to beat lol.

Kip_Drordy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kip_Drordy
Member since 2010 • 66 Posts
Bioshock has more of a scare factor than Bioshock 2.
Melpoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20 Melpoe
Member since 2009 • 3635 Posts
Well if your friend is sensitive to gore then Bioshock might give her a shock in the disturbing department. As for it being scary I would say a little, it does have it's moments but it is much more disturbing then scary.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#21 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Well if your friend is sensitive to gore then Bioshock might give her a shock in the disturbing department. As for it being scary I would say a little, it does have it's moments but it is much more disturbing then scary.Melpoe

Agreed, Bioshock definitely must be classed - Disturbing! :D :P

biosciguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 biosciguy
Member since 2005 • 69 Posts

I remember a couple of scenes in BS1 where i dropped the controller.

Koltster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Koltster
Member since 2008 • 51 Posts

I wouldn't call it scary. It can be creepy at times though i jumped a bit.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
The first few levels in Bioshock ARE pretty damn creepy if you don't know what to expect. There are disturbing and very scary (for her) scripted events. Then after a while you know what enemies there are and what they can and will do and it becomes more of a run and gun game. I would not recommend it to her if she really is that sensitive; get an adventure type game or something.
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

It's not so much scary, more atmospheric. The ambience does a great job of giving you a real thrill as you explore Rapture, but it's never deathly frightening. A few jumpy moments where something pops up at you, but nothing bonechilling or disturbing.

Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Serentor
Did you make up your mind yet? and @ Khadaj32, is that sephiroth? as your signature i mean...
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

It's really not scry at all, also has very little gore, only little blood splashes when you shoot.

However, I recommend Condemned 2, FEAR, Dead Space, Fallout 3, a Silent Hill, a Resident Evil game, etc.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

The game isn't big on scare factor but it's quite gory and freakish. It does have fantastic atmosphere.

If your friend wishes to enjoy good story without being scared, buy her Uncharted 1 or 2. ;)

HerGuitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HerGuitar

Did you make up your mind yet? and @ Khadaj32, is that sephiroth? as your signature i mean...Serentor

Indeed I did. I ended up getting her Uncharted 1 AND Uncharted 2 instead. I figured Bioshock wouldn't be such a happy birthday present afterall, though we may play it together sometime :)

jdiamnz69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 jdiamnz69
Member since 2007 • 1469 Posts

HerGuitar

There is pop ups. I did get scared myself, but its nothing like FEAR/

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

[QUOTE="Serentor"]Did you make up your mind yet? and @ Khadaj32, is that sephiroth? as your signature i mean...HerGuitar

Indeed I did. I ended up getting her Uncharted 1 AND Uncharted 2 instead. I figured Bioshock wouldn't be such a happy birthday present afterall, though we may play it together sometime :)

There's a zombie part in the end of the first Uncharted, she might find that scary, some people say it was. I personally didn't find it scary, I found it pretty lighthearted, but she might, I don't know.

Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Serentor

[QUOTE="HerGuitar"]

[QUOTE="Serentor"]Did you make up your mind yet? and @ Khadaj32, is that sephiroth? as your signature i mean...StealthMonkey4

There's a zombie part in the end of the first Uncharted, she might find that scary, some people say it was. I personally didn't find it scary, I found it pretty lighthearted, but she might, I don't know.

yea but the part thats scarry only lasts for like 10 - 15 minutes, after that your out in the open and its not that scarry anymore.

its a good choice, just for me personally the game has too much shooting, i played it mostly because of the climbing bits. but its still a great game.