Atari founder in PS4 smackdown

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigdaddy787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bigdaddy787
Member since 2013 • 76 Posts

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/70755-atari-founder-in-playstation-4-ps4-smackdown

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Atari founder in Playstation 4 (PS4) smackdown Posted April 5, 2013 - 12:38 by Trent Nouveau Outspoken Atari founder Nolan Bushnell believes Microsoft will triumph over Sony in the upcoming console wars that will pit the Xbox 720 (Next) against the Playstation 4. "I personally believe Microsoft is in a superior position, and the reason is Sony, whenever they change consoles, the software tools that they have are lame," Bushnell told GameTrailers.

The guy is a complete moron and is clueless, but since he has done nothing significant since the Atari, not surprising. He wants his 3 seconds of fame back..
mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 mohmaaytah
Member since 2003 • 2397 Posts

I would expect a statement like this from fanboys but an actual executive in the industry?

Any reasonable person would agree that it is far too early to decide who the winner ks, if I remember correctly the PS3 was all but written off at the beginning og the generation but the little black box has done well for itself over the years. This was a very ignorant statement on his behalf.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
This talking fossil would be right if his criticisms were aimed at the PS3 many years ago. Not the PS4 today.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Meh, Nolan Bushnell hasn't been relevant since 1978.

Avatar image for Rioichi21Cooper
Rioichi21Cooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Rioichi21Cooper
Member since 2012 • 246 Posts

What an immature statement to make, the consoles aren't even out and he starts saying that Sony is 'lame'. He didn't even provide some solid facts for crying out loud! :roll:

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Well, Sony has had a slow start with games for the Vita and did have one with the PS3, but it seems they're doing better with the upcoming launch. He doesn't seem to be paying attention.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
This board is System Wars? I thought it was the PS3 board. >_>
Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Nolan Bushnell will do anything to pump up an American system as he worked with alot of american systems and games that failed in the end. He probably is a Xbox fanboy because its an american system that made it and that makes him feel good, I guess.

So Don't listen to Nolan Bushnell the Xbot.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Nolan Bushnell was most likely encouraged by Microsoft to endore and praise the Xbox 720. The Xbox 720 will do well in America. The united States is the primary market for the Xbox 720. Microsoft is pushing this nextXbox as more of a mulimedia box then a gaming console. So buy selecting Nolan Bushnell Microsoft is trying to encourage the now middle age people to buy the Xbox 720. So Middle-aged techophiles in The U.S.A are Microsoft's target demographic this time around. People who actually remember the Atari VCS and are prone to still refer to videogame controllers as "Paddles". Folks who are likely to fall for Nolan Bushnell statements that Xbox 720 is the best console.

Microsoft knows that Xbox 720 will do well in the U.S.A so targeting the demographic that is just about as old as Nolan Bushell is middle aged men in middle America to buy into the conected living room with extra non gaming multimedia features, Movies/MLB& other sports/TV/Music/etc. So buy have Atari founder endorse the Xbox 720. Microsoft hopes to stike a chord with middle aged games who remember Atari 2600. Plus to strengthen the American Videogame Machine. Xbox 720 is very American/western compared to PS4 and Nintendo.

Microsoft knows that they at least have to do well in the U.S.A rest of the world is not really all that keen on Xbox brand. MS should not even try to promote Xbox 720 in Japan. It has no chance there. But Nolan Bushnell may help in Middle America. But that is it. Atari is long since dead. So is Nolan's influence.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
Bushnell's comments just reenforce the sentiment that senility is no laughing matter.
jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
This guy is a big part of gaming history; I would think twice about dismissing him. The way I understand it, had he not sold Atari to Warner, it might well have stayed a major force in gaming. He went onAnd as for his comments, I was reading this quote:

"A lot of times in the past they were in Japanese; not well documented and getting the software development community up to speed. The American software community just says 'Oh boy, what a pain'. And a lot of people don't realize how strong the software community is at making the hardware platform sing and dance."

That doesn't sound like an "XBOT" to me. That has been a major grievance with developers with the PS3. And Sony, from what I understand, has not been friendly to developers who are developing multi-platform. The days of selling a console on exclusives are over. If I were a developer, and had a console that was easy to develop for, and one that was finicky to develop for, I would concentrate on the easier one. Though I would try to make it run on the finicky one, I probably could only do so much. After the game was released, I would be losing money fixing the game. And if the console was difficult to develop for, there comes a point where you just have to throw in the towel. For that I blame Sony. After all, new games cost $60 (a day's pay for most people). When we get an anticipated title that plays like a piece of crap, we have every right to be upset. The thing to remember is that the business of creating video games is a business first and foremost. For my part, I hope Nolan's wrong, but with how the Vita seems stalled and how several games seem to run better on the 360, I worry.
R7_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R7_3
Member since 2006 • 1565 Posts

This guy is a big part of gaming history; I would think twice about dismissing him. The way I understand it, had he not sold Atari to Warner, it might well have stayed a major force in gaming. He went onAnd as for his comments, I was reading this quote:

"A lot of times in the past they were in Japanese; not well documented and getting the software development community up to speed. The American software community just says 'Oh boy, what a pain'. And a lot of people don't realize how strong the software community is at making the hardware platform sing and dance." jordonj

That doesn't sound like an "XBOT" to me. That has been a major grievance with developers with the PS3. And Sony, from what I understand, has not been friendly to developers who are developing multi-platform. The days of selling a console on exclusives are over. If I were a developer, and had a console that was easy to develop for, and one that was finicky to develop for, I would concentrate on the easier one. Though I would try to make it run on the finicky one, I probably could only do so much. After the game was released, I would be losing money fixing the game. And if the console was difficult to develop for, there comes a point where you just have to throw in the towel. For that I blame Sony. After all, new games cost $60 (a day's pay for most people). When we get an anticipated title that plays like a piece of crap, we have every right to be upset. The thing to remember is that the business of creating video games is a business first and foremost. For my part, I hope Nolan's wrong, but with how the Vita seems stalled and how several games seem to run better on the 360, I worry.

Don't worry, the PS4 won't have the same problem with inferior versions of games like the PS3. The PS4 is going to have a ton of RAM, unlike the PS3, also since the PS3 was very slow out of the gate, Sony changed a lot of the way they work with developers. They've been putting a lot of importance on building relationships with indie developers in particular, but they are also building the PS4 with input from major developers (Gearbox, Square Enix, etc.). I think the PS4 will be fine, as for the Vita it needs a price drop plain and simple. 

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jordonj

as for the Vita it needs a price drop plain and simple

In my opinion, it needs some software support too (as in games).
MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

everything is hypothetical as of now, personally i will wait until both consoles are fully announced, then pick one, this kind of fortunetelling is waaay premature and unfounded... :)

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jordonj

everything is hypothetical as of now, personally i will wait until both consoles are fully announced, then pick one, this kind of fortunetelling is waaay premature and unfounded... :)

MondasM
Also true.