Army Of Two Gamespot Review Up: 6.5/10

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
Here Wow, I'm suprised. Another below-everyone-else's review from Gamespot. Whatchu think?
MaForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 MaForce
Member since 2007 • 533 Posts
i like how critical gs is. They tell it like it is and sometimes focus too much on the negatives, but thats a good thing when im torn between two or three games. I like to focus on the bad after i investigate the good.
dbd333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 dbd333
Member since 2004 • 508 Posts
It's EA, what do you expect. Screw redemption, those guys are done.
shroom76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 shroom76
Member since 2007 • 1764 Posts

they are always below.

not suprising, im glad when E.A. games get trashed.

De_Bears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 De_Bears
Member since 2002 • 1593 Posts

I don't get it? They rave about Gears but tear this game apart. Its the same friggin game sans chainsaws and chase cam.

Whatever, I'm having a blast with it, if you want to add me to your friends list I'm MrZ33.

septemberluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 septemberluc
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
"Fair" and "above average" pretty much sums up what I've heard about the game.

Fine review.
icarus212001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 icarus212001
Member since 2007 • 2744 Posts

I don't get it? They rave about Gears but tear this game apart. Its the same friggin game sans chainsaws and chase cam.

Whatever, I'm having a blast with it, if you want to add me to your friends list I'm MrZ33.

De_Bears

tada! thats why gears was raved and what made it cinematic...and who doesnt like using chainsaws? :)

DEWMAN08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 DEWMAN08
Member since 2006 • 2145 Posts
I atleast expected a 8 or somewhere close. Every game here is either too low or too high. Look at Mass Effect for example, great game with a not so good rating. It just doesn't make sense.
FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FearTheRain
Member since 2008 • 1470 Posts

Here Wow, I'm suprised. Another below-everyone-else's review from Gamespot. Whatchu think?Chaos_Bladez

I agree with their review. Why Don't you READ THE REVIEW, instead of criticizing the score.

Strife037

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Strife037
Member since 2007 • 647 Posts
eh i think the review was poo...
DEWMAN08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DEWMAN08
Member since 2006 • 2145 Posts

De_Bears

I agree, the cover system works better in Army of Two. As for the dialogue, there's better voice acting and lines in Army of Two then the caveman voice acting in Gears. See you online.

n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
Its not Gamespots fault EA cant make good games
shaza91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shaza91
Member since 2005 • 3696 Posts

Well, I liked the game :(

But that's all reviews really are, opinions. And I respect this one too.

septemberluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 septemberluc
Look at Mass Effect for example, great game with a not so good rating. It just doesn't make sense.DEWMAN08

What're you TALKING about?! They gave Mass Effect an 8.5, which clearly says (directly underneat the score) "Great"!

They even go as far as to say "An excellent story and fun battles make this a universe worth exploring. "

I swear, people on this site aren't happy with anything less than a 9.5
DrummerShane12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DrummerShane12
Member since 2004 • 2531 Posts
yeah I like the story and the characters personalitys are awesome!
BoobyUnger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BoobyUnger
Member since 2004 • 1305 Posts

De_Bears
yeah they are pretty dumb, its exactly what i expect from gs, my system is ad 2-3 to a ps3 game or an actual good game scored low and subtract 2-3 for a 360 game to ge the real scores XD
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
Don't really care for Army of Two, but 6.5 just seems a weird score for FPS these days as Gamespot puts Army of Two, TimeShift, BlackSite and Conflict: Denied Ops (PC) on the same level, which I don't necessarily agree with.
henry4th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 henry4th
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

The reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about at all!

Here are the reasons:

1. he obviously has some personal issue with the game's story about fighting in Iraq. maybe he served there or something. But what ever his personal grudge against the story, he let it affect the score. You can clearly see this by his closing comment. He said the game should be in a future battlefield. Why should it be?

2. He said the game is an above average shooter... yet the game got 6.5. When was the last time an average shooter rated lower than 6.5? Average shooters are rated above 7!

3. The game has life bar, big deal! Lots of games that are immersive have life bars.

4. The game's character talks too much. What, you'd rather play a co-op game with no talking? Then why would you even play a co-op game (even if it's co-oping with the computer)?

5. The reviewer takes a great issue at running and gunning. guess what, in real world, that's how it is. most poeple, even the trained soldiers, miss a lot when they run! It's too bad that this game is too hard for the reviewer, it's too bad that "other" games like Halo 3 isn't like real world combat.

BY any account, the reviewer just did a superbly incompetent job reviewing an "above average" game with an below average score.

gtafreakBman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gtafreakBman
Member since 2004 • 280 Posts

this game looks good to me. you cant always go by reviews, you need to try it for yourself

its all a matter of opinion

DrummerShane12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DrummerShane12

Here are the reasons:

1. he obviously has some personal issue with the game's story about fighting in Iraq. maybe he served there or something. But what ever his personal grudge against the story, he let it affect the score. You can clearly see this by his closing comment. He said the game should be in a future battlefield. Why should it be?

2. He said the game is an above average shooter... yet the game got 6.5. When was the last time an average shooter rated lower than 6.5? Average shooters are rated above 7!

3. The game has life bar, big deal! Lots of games that are immersive have life bars.

4. The game's character talks too much. What, you'd rather play a co-op game with no talking? Then why would you even play a co-op game (even if it's co-oping with the computer)?

5. The reviewer takes a great issue at running and gunning. guess what, in real world, that's how it is. most poeple, even the trained soldiers, miss a lot when they run! It's too bad that this game is too hard for the reviewer, it's too bad that "other" games like Halo 3 isn't like real world combat.

BY any account, the reviewer just did a superbly incompetent job reviewing an "above average" game with an below average score.

henry4th

well said..yes reviews are just opinions but it seems he didnt give very good reasons

cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

This is a great game. It at least deserves an 8 imo. I don't mind the fact that once again GS gives a game a lower score than average cause that what they're best at, bit to call the games subject matter garbage and give it the whatever "batitude" means icon is ridiculous. In his review he says, it would be OK if he was making fun of the venusian army, but since the game makes fun of the US army, it's wrong. He even mentioned how the title plays the army of one motto.

JUst because a game does this, doesn't mean that it should be reviewed poorly beacause of this. I find it offensive that this guy is putting out a review that clearly represents his personal beliefs on what is politically correct. It's not his place to say that this game is wrong for doing so, because some people like myself could care less. This review should be unbiased. He even says it's fun to play. I honestly think he lowered the score just because the game touches on a sensitive subject. To him I say, get over it. No one else sensed this while reading it?

btkiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 btkiz
Member since 2005 • 143 Posts

Here are the reasons:

henry4th

exactly my thoughts....he mentioned more than once about them putting down the army. He's obviously got a personal problem with that, but IT'S A VIDEOGAME and he can't let his personal thoughts interfere with the score...which he obviously did

septemberluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 septemberluc
BY any account, the reviewer just did a superbly incompetent job reviewing an "above average" game with an below average score.henry4th

http://www.gamespot.com/misc/reviewguidelines.html

Thought you might wanna take a look at that before dictating what a "below average" score is.
cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cmpepper23

Here are the reasons:

henry4th

Glad to see you noticed it too. He should be fired if he can't leavehis personal beliefs out of his reviews.

DrummerShane12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DrummerShane12

This is a great game. It at least deserves an 8 imo. I don't mind the fact that once again GS gives a game a lower score than average cause that what they're best at, bit to call the games subject matter garbage and give it the whatever "batitude" means icon is ridiculous. In his review he says, it would be OK if he was making fun of the venusian army, but since the game makes fun of the US army, it's wrong. He even mentioned how the title plays the army of one motto.

JUst because a game does this, doesn't mean that it should be reviewed poorly beacause of this. I find it offensive that this guy is putting out a review that clearly represents his personal beliefs on what is politically correct. It's not his place to say that this game is wrong for doing so, because some people like myself could care less. This review should be unbiased. He even says it's fun to play. I honestly think he lowered the score just because the game touches on a sensitive subject. To him I say, get over it. No one else sensed this while reading it?

cmpepper23

Yeah i thought the game deserved at least an 8 but yeah his review was confusing , becuase he says one thing then contradicts it later

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

an excellent review, end of story. i guess the score is deserving as well. Don't care about this EA bs hate that everyone seems to posses, nor do i care about GS's (numerous) past mistakes, THIS review is hits the nail-on-the-head, period.

Yes there are parts that are questionable in the review, but, all in all, his opinions are justifed in way or another.

kreemghandour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kreemghandour
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts
Ok my friend had bought the game. All I have to say is EA is messing up, they hyped that game up so much it just sucks period. I played it for like 20 minutes and was discusted. The multiplayer is also wack, seems like the camera is sooo damn slow like a fat man with a camera from cops is behind you and cannot keep up. Army of 2 should have gotten a lower score. Socom and the Call are military games. They should have retailed it for 30 bucks because it blows. Oh yeah playing Warhawk lately now that is a true next gen game as is all other sony produced titles.
cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cmpepper23

an excellent review, end of story. i guess the score is deserving as well. Don't care about this EA bs hate that everyone seems to posses, nor do i care about GS's (numerous) past mistakes, THIS review is hits the nail-on-the-head, period.Rakuho

So are you also offended at how it supposedly mocks the US army, it is based on a touchy subject such as PMCs and the Iraq war? The review is garbage. I don't ind the score although I don't agree with it, but he clearly has some personal issues with the games story, and it shows. That is very unprofessional.

minox2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 minox2109
Member since 2006 • 144 Posts
wel... i think its bull tht it got a 6.7 i mean they gave the lowest review atleast a 7.5 im not even looking for n 8... he obv has a prob with the story n the fact it has suicide bombers... i mean come on every1 on gs loves halo3 but tht game has the lamest story ever i mean come on.. yes it was a good conclusion for halo but it still sucked... n they gave it n award for good story... gs will say tht a 6.5 isnt a bad review because of wht it stands for but most of the time games tht rate below n 8 rnt really worth playing...
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I can smell a big bag of BS and the stench started when I opened the page and read the review. 6.5? Pfft, get after that reviewer, EA. Pull an Eidos.
Teyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Teyon
Member since 2004 • 678 Posts

Has the delegate from Venus chimed in yet on his/her/its thoughts about the reviewer's opinion of their army?

Honestly, the game did have problems. Especially in the online multiplayer area. However, it was a nice offline multiplayer experience and a decent offline single player experience. The game really didn't deserve anything below a 7 (my opinion, I know, but I think it's a fair one). I don't see what the game's depiction of the US Army has to do with how it reviews, nor do I think it really made fun of the US Army at all (how is the title a mockery of the Army exactly?). Was the game flawed? Yes. Should it have been better after being pushed back to a later release date (it was supposed to be out last year)? Yes. Is the fact the online multiplayer lags and that the story wasn't shakespeare enough to bring the score to a 6.5? I don't think so. I think the game was fun and had a lot of neat and funny moments but I'm not the reviewer.

So Gamespot didn't like it. Who cares? Try the game for yourself and then rate it or better yet, buy it. That's how publishers know something's good. A bad critic's review hurts but as long as the retail sales roll in, EA will get over it.

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

[QUOTE="Rakuho"]an excellent review, end of story. i guess the score is deserving as well. Don't care about this EA bs hate that everyone seems to posses, nor do i care about GS's (numerous) past mistakes, THIS review is hits the nail-on-the-head, period.cmpepper23

So are you also offended at how it supposedly mocks the US army, it is based on a touchy subject such as PMCs and the Iraq war? The review is garbage. I don't ind the score although I don't agree with it, but he clearly has some personal issues with the games story, and it shows. That is very unprofessional.

u posted right before i forgot to add something to my original post. Nevertheless, the GAME in it self is 6.5. If you want to pick out the points in his review that you can personalize, fine, that's your call if you have a desire to feel offended. I played the game and share some similar issues, not all. Does he sound like a prick yes, is the review about the GAME itself good, ignoring all of the other junk he said, yes.

I think the game is average, and that's it. and no i don't get offended when someone who apparently has no idea of what He's talking about (the reviewer) talks smack, that kind of ignorance happens too much these days.

all i did was give credit to a review of a game minus rants, that happens to be similar to some of the issues i have with it. If that's crime, i apologize.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts

[QUOTE="Chaos_Bladez"]Here Wow, I'm suprised. Another below-everyone-else's review from Gamespot. Whatchu think?FearTheRain

I agree with their review. Why Don't you READ THE REVIEW, instead of criticizing the score.

You are right in a sense, but it doesn't matter as much as what the review says, but more of the score, which essentially is the bottom line. Way to attack me dude...
johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 johnlennon28
Member since 2008 • 2158 Posts

Ok my friend had bought the game. All I have to say is EA is messing up, they hyped that game up so much it just sucks period. I played it for like 20 minutes and was discusted. The multiplayer is also wack, seems like the camera is sooo damn slow like a fat man with a camera from cops is behind you and cannot keep up. Army of 2 should have gotten a lower score. Socom and the Call are military games. They should have retailed it for 30 bucks because it blows. Oh yeah playing Warhawk lately now that is a true next gen game as is all other sony produced titles.kreemghandour

I agree, specially bout the camera part, (fat man with the camera, lmao!!) ... this might be the first time that my opinion get along with gamespot's review..

Teyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Teyon
Member since 2004 • 678 Posts
What's interesting is that Army of two got trashed for the way it presented its story while a game like the Club scores/reviews well despite the fact it is a game with little to no point beyond getting a top score for killing people. Which is more shallow (since that seemed to be a major issue for the reviewer)?
navigata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 navigata
Member since 2005 • 7619 Posts
Why is everyone so "OOO AHH" Its the right score. For once I can agree with GS. Ive played this game and its nothing special. Good not great and not mediocre.
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Meh, I don't let reviews scare me, I still want to try out the game, everyone that I know that has it really likes it.
PureDante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PureDante
Member since 2007 • 925 Posts
[QUOTE="DEWMAN08"]Look at Mass Effect for example, great game with a not so good rating. It just doesn't make sense.septemberluc

What're you TALKING about?! They gave Mass Effect an 8.5, which clearly says (directly underneat the score) "Great"!

They even go as far as to say "An excellent story and fun battles make this a universe worth exploring. "

I swear, people on this site aren't happy with anything less than a 9.5

Well. Yea. When SSBB gets 9.5 and games like Army of Two get 6.5; total -wtf- moment. lol
aaron6581230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 aaron6581230
Member since 2005 • 2133 Posts
Who's Joe Dodson?
FullSurface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FullSurface
Member since 2005 • 223 Posts
Can't wait to see the low review Gamespot will give Metal Gear Solid 4, looking forward to it Gamespot, so we can bag you guys even more :)
rpgfreak15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rpgfreak15
Member since 2004 • 759 Posts
Yeah i don't really understand this review...i mean it's really similar to Gears of War imo and that got like a 9.6 or something?! Who cares, i've lost faith in Gamespot reviews anyways. It's all about the gamers opinions.
yungswift44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 yungswift44
Member since 2003 • 1614 Posts
this game is gtreat, great cover system, works so well, and the aiming is good, the ai is great ..i play on professional so it seves a challenge, o and im not a whiny lil man who hates PMC's and complains because a game is too hard...so maybe thats why i love it so much...
Silverdragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Silverdragon17
Member since 2005 • 664 Posts
I've yet to play the game but I look at player reviews in general as my primary source instead of any particular reviewer.
henry4th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 henry4th
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

[QUOTE="henry4th"]BY any account, the reviewer just did a superbly incompetent job reviewing an "above average" game with an below average score.septemberluc

http://www.gamespot.com/misc/reviewguidelines.html

Thought you might wanna take a look at that before dictating what a "below average" score is.

lol. thought you should check the REAL AVERAGE score on this website about shooter games! Reality speaks better than anything else. Just because they say a score of 6 is average, doesn't mean it's real average.

If 6.5 is REALLY average, then by all means, you sum up all the scores in the history of shooting games, then divide by the number of games, you should arrive at around 6.5. That's what an AVERAGE really means.

Please learn math before you trust some corporate statement.

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts
I thought the game would get an 8.0 but I guess this game really blows. Now I have completely lost interest in it.
rockbottom3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rockbottom3
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I wanted this game to be ground breaking.... I think I'' pass on it

cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cmpepper23
[QUOTE="cmpepper23"]

[QUOTE="Rakuho"]an excellent review, end of story. i guess the score is deserving as well. Don't care about this EA bs hate that everyone seems to posses, nor do i care about GS's (numerous) past mistakes, THIS review is hits the nail-on-the-head, period.Rakuho

u posted right before i forgot to add something to my original post. Nevertheless, the GAME in it self is 6.5. If you want to pick out the points in his review that you can personalize, fine, that's your call if you have a desire to feel offended. I played the game and share some similar issues, not all. Does he sound like a prick yes, is the review about the GAME itself good, ignoring all of the other junk he said, yes.

I think the game is average, and that's it. and no i don't get offended when someone who apparently has no idea of what He's talking about (the reviewer) talks smack, that kind of ignorance happens too much these days.

all i did was give credit to a review of a game minus rants, that happens to be similar to some of the issues i have with it. If that's crime, i apologize.

I wasn't trying to come off as an a ss towards you. If you agree with the review then that's fine by me. To each his own. I just didn't like the way this guy went about it. My brother and I just finished beating it earlier today and had lots of fun. We really liked the story, and the overall experience. I just think it's a shame for someone working for a website to write a biased review on a rather good game imo due to his own personal problems with the subject matter.

DrummerShane12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DrummerShane12

I wanted this game to be ground breaking.... I think I'' pass on it

rockbottom3

I engourage you not to pass on it just becuause of GS review..I think its a great game..at least rent it.

Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts

wow, that sucks. i love the game. and would give it an 8.9 . and i thought the plot was one of the best parts. i don't think they reviewed this game with a sequel in mind.

and idk what the hell they're talking about with the running and shooting. i can clear almost an entire room running around with my pimped out P90 with silencer while my buddy with the minigun just peppers the whole place and draws all the aggro.