Analog Stick Dead Zone on New Controllers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Putty121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Putty121
Member since 2004 • 1852 Posts

Hi,

I've bought two new OEM PS3 controllers a few weeks ago, but when I went to play games with one, I noticed that the analog sticks were extremely unresponsive compared to the controller that I've been using (that came with the system). I will have to push about 1/2 inch or more in order to get a direction to register in-game, which makes it basically impossible to fine tune any small movements. I don't know if my original controller was like this and I just don't remember, or what, but my first one has no dead zone to speak of and is super responsive, as it should be. I bought both of the new controllers from different sites (one from Amazon and one from eBay; I bought them online because I found them cheaper than the $55 they charge you at a retail store), so I don't know what is up. If anybody knows anything, that would be awesome because this is driving me nuts.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

I noticed the analog sticks do feel flatter on newer controllers (or maybe just my old ones had a lot of wear so it felt different), there could be a dead zone difference, I haven't noticed any difference though.

kenchen23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 kenchen23
Member since 2006 • 486 Posts

is because your old one is wear down so the stick is loose. Thats why i always use my old one to play online, it just feel completly different even though theyre the same controller.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I like to think of buying a new controller the same as buying a new baseball glove. When you first get a new baseball glove, it doesn't fit right away and might be slightly uncomfortable, but once it's broken-in it fits your hand well and works well.

Same thing goes for controllers, at least for me. The longer you've had a controller, the more "broken-in" the joysticks tend to be. So while it may seem like the newer controllers have larger deadzones, it more than likely is you have to adjust to a controller that doesn't have as loose of joysticks as your normal controllers.

Putty121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Putty121

Okay, so at least it sounds like it's not just me :P

I really need to find a way to wear that #$% in, then because I'm going bonkers. I even tried harshly spinning and clicking the analog sticks while I'm watching a movie or something, but no results thus far. I doubt people have "techniques" for wearing in their controllers, but if you do, let me know lol. Never had this problem with 360, PS2, or Xbox 1 controllers, though, so that's frustrating.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vari3ty

Just play with it, it should be fine. We are talking the standard, Sony issued controller aren't we? Because I've had some 3rd party controllers that had huge deadzones.

Putty121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Putty121

Yep, they're both brand new OEM Sony controllers. They were shipped without the packaging to make it cheaper, but unless they make extremely ellaborate fakes with all of the coding and serial info and then market them as OEM, then these are the real thing. I don't know if it's the resistance that is making it feel that way or if it really does just need to be broken in, but either way, I'm always aware of it while playing, so I don't see how I could use it long enough to wear it in. OCD is just buckets of fun, isn't it? I've heard those "FPS Freek" analog top things can help with precision, do you think that would help me with THIS problem? As in, make it easier to compensate for the resistance and dead zone?

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vari3ty

I don't know really, I maybe overexaggerated how heavy use will affect the controller. But then again I don't know why Sony would inexplicably increase the deadzones. Don't know what to tell you I'm afraid.

Putty121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Putty121

QQ

Thanks anyway, though.

If anybody else knows anything, let me know.

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Renzokucant
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts
im having sorta the same issue; i bought a pink one online and its sticks are really tight. like they are so tight that i end up overshooting my target on FPS's cause its harder to get some fine movements out of them. hoping it wears down a bit
Putty121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Putty121
im having sorta the same issue; i bought a pink one online and its sticks are really tight. like they are so tight that i end up overshooting my target on FPS's cause its harder to get some fine movements out of them. hoping it wears down a bitRenzokucant
Exactly how it impacts me. The controllers are useless in any shooting games at the moment because I'll move the stick a distance with no result until suddenly BAM, full movement. Try Killzone 3 with your "good" controller and then a new one, it's a huge difference. I would say that I'm just going to buy used controllers from now on, but since the controller is dead once the battery wears out, I can't know how much it has been used and how much time I have left. This is a stupid problem to have.
xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

Ive actually seen some really nice fakes before even with fake serial numbers and stickers... the sticks should be stiffer since they are new but it shouldnt be that bad

kenchen23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kenchen23
Member since 2006 • 486 Posts

hey, buy a fps freek or modsticks which it will add a extention on the sticks. you can make finer movement and you sticks wont be as tight. I got both and modsticks is better, it feels better and ajustable height.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

same here , i have 3 dualshocks and yet i still mainly play on my old sixaxis because it feels much better , i dont use rumble anyway even on ds3 and the sixaxis has better sticks and is much lighter compared to dualshock , i wisgh i still could buy a new sixaxis somewhere but they are not being produced anymore