Affording PS3 while living in a Recession

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreenPatchSky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 GreenPatchSky
Member since 2009 • 439 Posts

Fellow Gamers,

It is no surprise that the economy has been tough lately and thus us gamers have less cash in our pockets. Personally i lost my job 3 months ago and I am finding it challenging to afford my PS3. It becomes a choice of buying the new elder scrolls game or feeding my daughter, obviously i gotta do the latter. Are you guys finding it tough to afford games? What do you guys do to save costs on games? Obviously you can buy games used but i dont want to wait years for a game to be $20.

Green Patcher

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I'm still in HS but yeah, money it a bit tight. Haven't bought a new game in awhile... I normally do random jobs for neighbors to get money, but that isn't really an option anymore, so... Yeah. I might be able to get Resistance 3 but that'll probably be the last game for awhile.

Sedin44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sedin44
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts

hah this post reminds me of the great biggie quote "Super Nintendo Sega Genesis, when i was dead broke man i couldn't picture this". Sorry to hear about your tough times man, i have cut back from buying 20 games a year to 10-15 games a year because of more work, less money and less time. But i think its all about buying within reason. I think you could afford a few games a year.

Sedin44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sedin44
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts

Yea i hear ya, high school was rough but i used to do random jobs too to make some extra money to afford games

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Yeah i know what you mean i recently got struck by the economy i don't have much to spend at all and i wanted to build a lovely PC as well, i'll only be getting one or maybe two games before christmas as i'd rather buy gifts than buy my own items. I've recently just not bought games, it's not like i desperately need them and i sure as hell aint going to go cheapskating and buying used or selling a kidney just for some material fun.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

The best way to save money is figure out where your money is going. Turned out I was paying 10 bucks a month for some stupid text messages, I didn't even know about it. Figure out how much you spend on food and clothing and try to see where you can make some adjustments. If you drive places maybe it'd be cheaper to take a form of public transportation. There are a lot of ways to cut back or even spend money on stuff that can actually make you money.

BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

i'm a poor college student, so I too am finding it hard to pay for games, pretty much have to rely on trading in games to afford new ones.

GamerChick2083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GamerChick2083
Member since 2010 • 481 Posts

I can still afford new games but there was a period of a couple of months where my husband was out of a job and we couldn't afford new games at all except for a few times. I only buy the games I REALLY want. Everything else I buy used or I wait for a price drop.

fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fsurb28
Member since 2008 • 1329 Posts

i feel bad about people losing their jobs ( unless they did something stupid to warrant it ), this might not sound right by me saying this but i'm a 100% disabled veteran and we get paid monthly so thankfully i don't have to worry about that situation, if you have games that you know full well you're not going to touch them just put them on craigslist as that will get you more than g stop will, also if there's a game coming out and you know you want it just pre order 4 months before it comes out, that way you're looking at a $16 a month payment which can be recouped by cutting back on some things like lets say food, instead of getting something that'll run you 12 - 15 for a meal just replace that with tuna that'll last for 2 -3 days, my wife and i used to eat like that till we both got tired of cooking ( because of school and a 3 year old ) and went that route then we started to notice there's more extra money so it was win win

GreenPatchSky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GreenPatchSky

most of my money alrdy goes to support myself and the fam, and i saved money on transportation costs by losing my job

Laser_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Laser_Hunter
Member since 2010 • 4780 Posts
I've had what I wanted pre-ordered for 2 months now and there is still 2 months to go till they come out. This helps me pay the games down progressively with any spare cash I have.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts
What do you guys do to save costs on games? Obviously you can buy games used but i dont want to wait years for a game to be $20.GreenPatchSky
Look, there's plenty of ways of getting new games cheaper. Amazon.com for example, usually a couple months after release a game will be available for $30-40 new from them. And of course there's free-shipping no sales tax etc. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to buy multiple new games a year. You just gotta shop around, but deals do exist out there.
Laser_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Laser_Hunter
Member since 2010 • 4780 Posts
[QUOTE="GreenPatchSky"] What do you guys do to save costs on games? Obviously you can buy games used but i dont want to wait years for a game to be $20.Masenkoe
Look, there's plenty of ways of getting new games cheaper. Amazon.com for example, usually a couple months after release a game will be available for $30-40 new from them. And of course there's free-shipping no sales tax etc. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to buy multiple new games a year. You just gotta shop around, but deals do exist out there.

A good place to find deals is cheapassgamer...
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

That's why you pay $17 a month for Game Fly and play a game as much as you like and send it in for another.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I also buy new games at K-mart that are marked down to $10-$20 or used ones for $20 at Game Stop.

GreenPatchSky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GreenPatchSky

yes kmart to walmart all the marts r great for saving costs! I am grateful the recession hasnt forced me to sell it. How much u think electricty costs goes toward a ps3? I stay awake and wonderr

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Buy Elder Scrolls or feed my daughter? Makes me wonder the seriousness of this thread... :P

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#18 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

In High School and unemployed, so yes. Which is why I only buy like four games a year, most of them used, and just rent the rest. I can rent 8 games for seven days each for the price of buying one game. Easy choice for me.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts
Obviously you can buy games used but i dont want to wait years for a game to be $20.GreenPatchSky
Now ask yourself why. You can save a whole lot of money that way. And so what if you're playing the game a few months later? Will that really deter your enjoyment? Of course not - if anything, you'll have more fun because you're playing a game for $20 that everyone paid $60 for and you're probably even enjoying yourself just as much, if not more. It's really not that hard - I do it all the time. All you have to do is not pay attention to hype and things like that. Just enjoy whatever games you've got at the moment and keep a look out for deals and sales. I suppose it's different for multiplayer games, considering community deterioration over time, but if you think about it, any multiplayer game that's worth the money will still have people on its servers 2-3 years later. And there should never be an 'or' between feeding your children and buying video games. That just makes your past-time look like an addiction.
Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#20 Zathic
Member since 2007 • 1946 Posts

i sure as hell aint going to go cheapskating and buying used or selling a kidney just for some material fun.JohnF111

lol strong comparison

jaidev004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jaidev004
Member since 2004 • 358 Posts
how old are you? and by the way buy a pc and then you dont have to pay for the games if you know what i mean:)
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts
1. Never rent 2. Visit Cheapassgamer to check for sales 3. Put all games you want on your Amazon wishlist, check periodically for price drops, you don't necessarily have to buy from there, just use it to track prices. 4. You can visit ebay to try to find games cheap, but do your research first to avoid "online pass" type crap 5. Focus on games with high replay value. 6. Avoid gaming site hype, don't feel the need to get games that just came out. 7. Never sell. You can replay sometimes. The bigger your library, the more you can replay. RL comes first. No gaming when you need to be job hunting. Figure out what you can spare AFTER expenses. Make a budget. Example : $20 a month towards gaming. I am probably in better financial shape than most, I almost NEVER buy games for $60. Maybe once a year, on my birthday or something. They are not worth $60. $20-$30 max. Gaming sites hype "hot games" to the moon, but think about it. The "hot game" from 2 years ago is $20 now. What happened, it's no longer hot. What changed. Same game, now it's chopped liver. UC3 one day will be $20 in a bargain bin somewhere. So why you want to pay $60 for it? Use your brain. Budget budget budget. $20/month goes in your "gamer piggy bank" Best of luck
tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

You wanting to pay $60 for a Elder Scrolls game is understandable. But what your paying for is the satisfaction of getting what you want when you want it.

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

how old are you? and by the way buy a pc and then you dont have to pay for the games if you know what i mean:)jaidev004

nope. nope. nope.

you sir commit horrible acts that should never be talked about.