2nd Gen Vita or buy now???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chefaday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chefaday
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Aww man, I was just about to pull the trigger on the PS Vita/Walking Dead bundle, and I mean I almost walked out of Frys with one yesterday and I was going to go back today and get it for sure. Today I read that there is a new model coming out!! Arrgh!!! Of course, other than cosmetic reviews, there are no comprehensive reviews out yet, its not released until Oct. 10 in Japan. No word about USA? SHOULD I BUY IT TODAY OR WAIT? Thanks for checking out my first post. Walter
Avatar image for The_Golden_Age-
The_Golden_Age-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 The_Golden_Age-
Member since 2012 • 172 Posts

Honestly if you're that close to buying it now then you might as well. That Walking Dead bundle is a decent deal. I would rather get the current model over the new one due to the screen difference. If you can wait though, you might as well wait until Black Friday. It's not that long off.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#3 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I'd buy it now. The built in memory is so small it's essentially useless and no matter what they do, the LCD screen is a step down from OLED.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

the new vita has a bigger screen and less heavy and longer battery life, no screen burn in...people complained about the arms getting tired.

as for the lcd vs oled video quality....real comparisons have not been made yet.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KBFloYd

good comparison

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-playstation-vita

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

the new vita has a bigger screen and less heavy and longer battery life, no screen burn in...people complained about the arms getting tired.

as for the lcd vs oled video quality....real comparisons have not been made yet.

KBFloYd
You'll never get the same black levels as an OLED, though I agree there have been no real comparisons yet. I'm pretty sure the screen is exactly the same size on the new one, though. I'm also wary because the PSP had a weird shift through LCDs, ending up on the 3000's mostly nice looking but scanlined LCD screen. It's only minimally lighter and thinner, too. The only real bonus is that it charges and transfers data via a proper regular USB cable and not some proprietary crap.
chefaday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chefaday
Lots of good food for thought and thanks for the link. I think I'll end up getting it, I'm rationalizing taking it on my plane trip next month. Along with my laptop, my nexus 7 2nd gen tablet, and my Galaxy S4. Pathetic. I need an intervention.
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
I'd buy it now. 200 USD for a WiFi + 3G Vita, 4GB memory card, and The Walking Dead game is a damn good price. The new LCD would probably not look as good as the OLED screen on the current Vita and the weight is really not an issue. I think I like the weight on the Vita it gives it a pretty good feel. Doesn't feel cheap.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The current PSvita cost $199.99 The walking Dead bundle. with 4GB psvita memory card. and pack in game. Walking Dead. Has the OLED screen.

The PSvita 2000 "Slimline" has a LCD screen. Price is unknown but could be $169.99 with no pack in game or Memory card. The PSvita 2000 has 1GB memory built in. 

Sony has made the PSvita slim cheaper to manufacture. So should be cheaper to buy than the current model. Plus the other colors should be available.

Buy now since the screen quality may take a hit. 

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts

The current PSvita cost $199.99 The walking Dead bundle. with 4GB psvita memory card. and pack in game. Walking Dead. Has the OLED screen.

The PSvita 2000 "Slimline" has a LCD screen. Price is unknown but could be $169.99 with no pack in game or Memory card. The PSvita 2000 has 1GB memory built in. 

Sony has made the PSvita slim cheaper to manufacture. So should be cheaper to buy than the current model. Plus the other colors should be available.

Buy now since the screen quality may take a hit. 

Megavideogamer
Slim models normally use the current price while old mdoels normally get the drop in price. I expect $199 slim, 179-169 old, as they did with psp
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#11 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

the price is 200

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
You get those black.. screen bleeding marks on the OLED ones. I think that's what it's called, but even my Vita got it after just a couple of months then I sold it. I'm waiting for the new ones because the lighter weight and extra hour of battery life help a lot. Not to mention the colors.. I really want it in white haha
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

the new vita has a bigger screen

KBFloYd
That doesn't sound right.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KBFloYd

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

the new vita has a bigger screen

nethernova

That doesn't sound right.

yea it looked like it did...but everywhere says its the same :P

but it looks bigger

original.jpg

MetalHead888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 MetalHead888
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

get the new one. unless when it comes out there is a real difference in quality. i really dont think there will be. but this is noting more then a guess.

you can still get great color from an lcd screen. especially a small one

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts
Screen size is staying the same. My vote is get the current one., and you can find one cheap used.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
You get those black.. screen bleeding marks on the OLED ones. I think that's what it's called, but even my Vita got it after just a couple of months then I sold it. I'm waiting for the new ones because the lighter weight and extra hour of battery life help a lot. Not to mention the colors.. I really want it in white hahaBangerman15
My launch vita is fine sounds like you had a defective screen. Lcd's have their own issues anyway like with dead pixels which I had many of on psp.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Get the OLED one. Now. Do it.

chefaday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chefaday
I got the walking dead bundle today! Woo hoo! Also got a starter pack with case, screen protector, etc. Got an 8mb memory card - the only other choice was 32gb and I'm not ready to spend that. Set it up and downloaded Walking Dead, joined PSN, subscribed to PS+, bought another game. Haven't even used it yet. I'm very stoked. Thanks for all the advice and moral support. Thanks even to those who recommended the second gen, but I couldn't wait. Might not get much sleep tonight! ***** Just played some walking dead and machinarium. I'm hooked.