2 different PS3's in one house?!! HELP!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gage_Creed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gage_Creed
Member since 2006 • 267 Posts

Ok, I need some help and if anybody could help me i would REALLY appreciate it. Right now I live with a roomate. I have a PS3 and I'm pretty much the only one who plays it. He's not much of a gamer. My roomates moving out and my brother is moving in next month. Problem is, that my brother has a PS3 also and plays online just as much as I do. If i'm playing online and my roomate is even just browsing the internet on the pc, i get mad LAG.

What am I going to need to do for me and my bro to be playing online on two different Ps3's under the same roof at the same time?. Do I need a special kind of router?? PLEASE HELP!!

tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts
you need a better internet connection. what kind of download/upload speeds do you have now?
spydersvenom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 spydersvenom7
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts
You know when you go to buy high speed internet there's this option that seems way to high or expensive to be real? Like 20 mbps or higher for like $89.99/mo. That's your answer, for starters. You need hella bandwidth, and not just for downloads (you're probably safe for that), but for UPLOADS. It's when you're sending out your signal to the server/host that you'll need good bandwidth for. Contact your ISP and tell them you want the highest you can get, get the stats (upload/download speeds), and price. Then go to any competitors and compare, get something pretty high, at least 10 mbps. Haven't tried 2 at the same time, but I know that at the standard 3-5 mbps, you'll be lucky to be able to browse today's multimedia sites and game at the same time, this is triple for two systems. As for the router, any wired connection should be able to handle it fine, and I'm pretty sure any 802.11b/g wireless connection should also be fine (again, figure out the bandwidth offered). This is just going to require the highest and best resources, but you should be fine. If these don't work, consider a T3/T1 line.
tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts
If these don't work, consider a T3/T1 line.spydersvenom7
ummmmm....i take it that you've never priced those before huh? not cheap. what so ever. not to mention a T1 capable modem/router. not made for homes.
huriona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 huriona
Member since 2003 • 361 Posts

You shouldn't need any special router. What you do need is increase your connection speed (bandwidth) with your internet provider.

spydersvenom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 spydersvenom7
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts

[QUOTE="spydersvenom7"]If these don't work, consider a T3/T1 line.tgschmidt
ummmmm....i take it that you've never priced those before huh? not cheap. what so ever. not to mention a T1 capable modem/router. not made for homes.

I was only implying that if he didn't find a high enough speed on his ISP that it was potentially another option. If you read my post, I pretty clearly suggest a high bandwidth for his existing internet connection and also suggest that his current (or one that he can easily pick up at the store if he doesn't have one) router would be just fine.

moshakirby18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 moshakirby18
Member since 2006 • 1665 Posts

$89.99/mo. ...If these don't work, consider a T3/T1 line.
spydersvenom7

What?! It's only two consoles!
We had three PCs online at my friends house on his 6mbit line and the average ping for each of us was only 60ms on CoD4.

Considering (apparantley, as everyone else does) you can get away with 100ms+ online on PS3 I can't imagine you needing to spend $90 on a line. Especially T3/T1

Gage_Creed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gage_Creed
Member since 2006 • 267 Posts
So i pretty much need to tell Time Warner Cable that I need addidtional bandwitdh?
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

So i pretty much need to tell Time Warner Cable that I need addidtional bandwitdh?Gage_Creed

That's what I would do. Also go to speedtest.net on your pc if you want to see how fast your current connection is.

burner0921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 burner0921
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts
My buddies do this with one wired and one wireless. All they have is the standard Time Warner Cable service. You might not need to upgrade your service.