Will there ever be a Psi Ops 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ShangTsung17
Member since 2011 • 839 Posts

if anyone remembers this game it was one of those rare gems that never gets old and i still play it to this day.. it had EVERYTHING, free roaming, fun combat system, excellent controls, huge replay value, great sound effects, and intriquing story.. at the end it left off with a *to be continued* type ending leading me to beleave a sequel would be right around the corner but i was sadly mistaken.. i naturally figured they're probally waiting to put the sequel on the next gen systems, afterall looking at what they did with star wars tfu which generally had the same combat mechanic *force throw=telekineses* it would be best on the new consoles anyway.. obviously it never happened, this could have been such a great series of games, why do ya think they scrapped this ingenious idea???

willsoonbegone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 willsoonbegone
Member since 2003 • 401 Posts

This games ranks as one of my favorite of all time. It is a real shame that it wasn't that successful (I don't know anything about sales numbers, but I remember it got just okay numbers and wasn't really talked about after it launched). I would really love for there to be a sequel, but don't think it is in the cards. The original was made by Midway, which doesn't exist anymore and I'm just not sure it was popular enough to be picked up by anyone else.

Avatar image for brownpriderider
brownpriderider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 brownpriderider
Member since 2004 • 311 Posts

yea the psi ops game was great, second sight was another good game with a similar premise

ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ShangTsung17

when u think about the core mechanics of the game, it had so much potential.. thats why it just blows my mind that this idea wasn't continued or atleast copied, star wars came close but u still couldn't tk toss people around like in psi ops, on star wars tfu u got one toss and that was it, but on psi ops u could lock on to an enemy then toss him all over the place in an almost endless succesion *completely endless if u were using codebreaker with an infinite psi meter* this sh!t use to be so much fun and was utterly hillarious to watch! also u could go back through each level with all psi abilities using any skin on the game, this alone took the replay value thru the roof.. its just sad that they let one of the greatest idea's ever in gaming slip away.. :(

Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

No there won't be. It's one of my favorite games and one of the few action-shooters I hold dear to me and it's a sad thing that there won't be.

Basically Midway ripped the story from someone, and that said someone sued them over it. After that Midway went bankrupt and closed. Basically the stuido that made it no longer exists, and the rights for the game are lost due to the lawsuit.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6167348.html

willsoonbegone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 willsoonbegone
Member since 2003 • 401 Posts

No there won't be. It's one of my favorite games and one of the few action-shooters I hold dear to me and it's a sad thing that there won't be.

Basically Midway ripped the story from someone, and that said someone sued them over it. After that Midway went bankrupt and closed. Basically the stuido that made it no longer exists, and the rights for the game are lost due to the lawsuit.

finalserenade75

Very interesting. Hadn't heard about this. A quick wiki search (provided this info is correct) actually says that Midway won that case and didn't have to pay the dude anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psi-Ops:_The_Mindgate_Conspiracy

That doesn't make me think a sequel is anymore likely, despite how much I would love it. The guy above me is right that no game has replicated the fantastic levatation physics in this. Star Wars TFU tried and failed. I don't care if it is completely unrelated, we NEED something that controls exactly like this for the current gen hardware.

Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

[QUOTE="finalserenade75"]

willsoonbegone

Very interesting. Hadn't heard about this. A quick wiki search (provided this info is correct) actually says that Midway won that case and didn't have to pay the dude anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psi-Ops:_The_Mindgate_Conspiracy

That doesn't make me think a sequel is anymore likely, despite how much I would love it. The guy above me is right that no game has replicated the fantastic levatation physics in this. Star Wars TFU tried and failed. I don't care if it is completely unrelated, we NEED something that controls exactly like this for the current gen hardware.

Yeah they won, but eventually they did go bankrupt and closed in 2009 due to poor sales for their games. It's kinda sad to be honest, they had some nice games and Psi-Ops was their best.

ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShangTsung17

there definately needs to be a game that uses this type of combat system, or atleast try to duplicate it.. lucas arts probally could have if they wanted but i see why they didn't.. watching a jedi or sith repetedly force slam someone over and over viciously might not seem very star wars like.. lol

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I wish there would be a PSI ops 2, that game was amazing and I played it a ton. I actually own 2 copies of it :P

Sophette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sophette
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts
I loved that game back in the day. It would be awesome with MOVE and crazy current gen ragdoll physics.
blackmombagoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blackmombagoku
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Midway closed? Is that why MK9 is made by Netherrelm studios?
soulforge1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 soulforge1
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I Played this game on the PC, though I regrettably must admit, I never got to play it on PS3, therefore I will only comment on the concept of a game sequel without regards to any particular platform. I think it would be cool if someone could get the original screenwriter to release the rights on a divergent sequel in the form of a game, or maybe even write the sequel himself, and sell the rights to an awesome gaming company. Depending on the legalities, a reverse engineering of he game, "Psi Ops: The Mind Gate Conspiracy", could lend to a basic starting point for the game sequel. I am not suggesting any form of illegal activities, I do not know the laws involved, however, these actions could ensure the possibility of a sequel. I really loved the game and and want to see part two really bad, and on any and every platform. If someone could get the legalities squared away, I believe it would be a huge success.
Avatar image for InstantKlassick
InstantKlassick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 InstantKlassick
Member since 2010 • 1161 Posts

One of my favorite games of All time! I'd love to see a follow up!Â