Why is Killzone: Shadowfall so disliked?

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

I am a huge fan of the Killzone franchise, and I am just a little confused on why Shadowfall is so disliked. I will admit there are elements in it that aren't that great, but it was definitely an improvement over Killzone 3.

If I had to rank the Killzone games, it would be:

1. Killzone 2

2. Killzone: Shadowfall

3. Killzone 3

4. Killzone

What does everyone else think?

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

I loved it. Not without flaws but few games are. Story mode could have been better but I hope they make another KZ with the girl. I loved multiplayer, it was different than all other launch shooters last year. With Destiny, Halo, SO and others I probably won't go back to it though if it had co-op at launch I would have played it even more than I already did. I like that KZ is different in an era when so many shooters copy each other

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Why Shadowfall so disliked ? I am also a fan of the franchise since Killzone 1, IMHO from the 4 Killzone 2 is the absolute best of them all.

For me:

1 Killzone 2

2 Killzone

3 I´m syill not convinced which one should be here so let´s make it a tie between 3 and Shadowfall

The original Killzone had a lot of competition when it came out, by the time it was released MOH had already 4 previous games, COD was also a strong contender for war games so when Killzone appeared it was like playing MOH or COD but set in a more futuristic alienish manner. But Killzone 2, man that´s different, gazillion times better graphics, much better story, multiplayer is really good ( it´s always packed with guys playing it ) .

I´m still wondering who had the great idea of destroying Helghan and force the Helghast emigrate to Vekta,

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I don't think it is disliked, it simply have a fairly narrow target demographic to begin with, most PS fans hyped it pre launch, but I doubt most of those picked it up, and since you rarely hear a negative about it, I would assume that most average people found it decent to good.

It is a competent FPS game, with a somewhat stale story (most have), although it had potential for more. the MP was good, and overall it did not disapoint.

The reason why you liekly won't hear alot about it is that the fans are playing it, or have good memories, about it, and the rest forgot about it, since it was competent and did not have any real big holes to critique or diferent enough to brag about (if you don't own it).

I would say that it is likely the second or third best. in the series. I found the pacing and level designs lackluster (not to look at, but to play), but the bechanics were fun, and it was in no way bad. Never playied the MP so can not comment on that, although I hear it was pretty good :)

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I actually enjoyed the singleplayer. Didn't blow me away but the graphics are good and showed off what the ps4 can do so early on in it's cycle.

The mp is also actually pretty decent these days with all the patches.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i've only played the third one, and it was alright. But it wasn't anything special either

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

The thing that really gets me is that IGN said that the series has never really established itself as a franchise which is news to me since its one of the most heavily awarded shooters for the Playstation. Also which I thought was very, very odd, IGN during their review of the game praised the game throughout the review (though also pointing out some minor flaws), saying it puts the Killzone franchise back on the map and claiming that the 3rd entry was a low point in the series. All of this and they gave Shadowfall an 8.0 and Killzone 3 an 8.5. Not that reviews mean everything because 80% of the time I think Keven VanOrd is the harshest and most inconsistent critic out there, but it was clear in IGN's review that they were hypocritical.

REfan1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By REfan1987
Member since 2005 • 327 Posts

For me, the game mechanics were so bad that I had to send it back. I mean, without even telling you how to disarm those circuit traps or whatever they are, you run over them because they're impossible to see on the first level, then you die pretty much, I had never been able to trip the alarm and then escape/live because enemies were coming in every direction.

The other thing that was character design and function. I mean, you press forward on the analog pad a little bit, and look down, your legs are going everywhere. WTF? Bad, bad design.

Other than game mechanics, the plot wasn't interesting to me at all, I mean they haven't revolutionized the plot at all, although the last KZ game I played was the first one, which I liked at that time. It just felt like your average shooter, nothing really impressed me about it.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#9 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I'm a huge KZ fan. I'd rate them KZ2, KZ3, Shadowfall, and 1. And here is why.

KZ2 had the best campaign, the best online, the best everything. Only thing that would make it better would be co-op campaign and co-op botzone on and offline. Not sure why they would actually try to destroy the series after KZ2.

KZ3 has co-op campaign offline, a bit better controls, and those brutal melee. Those are the only things it does better than KZ2. The KZ3 online was ok, but had some obvious exploits with the marksman. Campaign was a downer, but had co-op.

Shadowfall........Campaign is kind of cruddy, no co-op, no botzone co-op, no brutal melee (I was so pi$$ed when they took it out) And honestly, I was hoping for a Helghast campaign with Hakha as the star....Hakha is MIA since aftter KZ1. Overall the game was a let down.

KZ1, well obviously its an old school shooter. Still a good game tho. Multiple characters to play through the campaign with, co-op/competitive botzone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@ristactionjakso:

I'm almost through story and I have to say that the story is pretty good compared to KZ 3's lack of story.

I will admit that it isn't perfect, but it is a great shooter with a lot of new good concepts.

KZ 3 will always be the big disappointment to me because KZ 2 set the bar so high. KZ 3 was more or less the same game play wise with a few added weapons, some game play tweaks like melee attacks, and with some new scenery, but a completely non coherent story. If it got the story right, it had the potential to be better than its predecessor.

Also not sure what you mean by brutal melee being removed in Shadowfall, but Shadowfall has more or less the same melee mechanics to KZ3.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ristactionjakso

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@ristactionjakso:

I'm almost through story and I have to say that the story is pretty good compared to KZ 3's lack of story.

I will admit that it isn't perfect, but it is a great shooter with a lot of new good concepts.

KZ 3 will always be the big disappointment to me because KZ 2 set the bar so high. KZ 3 was more or less the same game play wise with a few added weapons, some game play tweaks like melee attacks, and with some new scenery, but a completely non coherent story. If it got the story right, it had the potential to be better than its predecessor.

Also not sure what you mean by brutal melee being removed in Shadowfall, but Shadowfall has more or less the same melee mechanics to KZ3.

Nah. You can't shove your thumbs through Helgast eyes, can't knife the sh!t out of Helgast eyes, can't snap necks ext. They only have a knife stab or neck slice. KZ3 is easily the most brutal KZ. But your'e right. The story was lacking. I wanted, and still do, want to play a Helgast campaign as Hakha, and end up killing Rico in the end. That's all I want.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@ristactionjakso:

The gouging out of the eyes and the stabbing a knife in the eye was removed because they were getting pressured from the ESRB. Most of the old Brutal Melee animations are in the game (included the front facing snapping of the neck) however, Shadow Fall added several new animations that were not in Killzone 3.

These include:

Stabbing in the throat, grabbing an enemy from behind and stabbing their throat, and snapping an enemy's neck from behind. Also of course brutal melee occurs automatically if you jump and land on an enemy (dropping knife kill). Also if you use a knife kill, you have the option to throw the knife at a nearby enemy and get a "second kill" using R3.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

it is a very good game but you cannot shoot the helmets off helghasts' heads... :(

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

same reason why people hates crysis i guess

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#15 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I wouldn't say it's disliked, I just don't think it's talked about as much. I thought the graphics where stunning and the gameplay solid. It was a great launch tittle, just not spectacular.

rafc84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rafc84
Member since 2014 • 61 Posts

Actually the first KZ i played was KZ3, never played the previous ones... and i only played because i got it for free... i wasnt interested, and i heard that wasnt so good... and i have to say i play it a lot, and off-line co op is big plus for me.

Now i just started with KZ shadow fall, and i think its good so far, nothing amazing but not bad either... i found it pretty annoying that the enemy in the second chapter just saw you and come from everywhere and shoot you from far far away. besides that seems quite good.

The other thing is that the missions, many times i get lost and i had no idea what to do or where to go... but thats just me maybe

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ristactionjakso

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@ristactionjakso:

The gouging out of the eyes and the stabbing a knife in the eye was removed because they were getting pressured from the ESRB. Most of the old Brutal Melee animations are in the game (included the front facing snapping of the neck) however, Shadow Fall added several new animations that were not in Killzone 3.

These include:

Stabbing in the throat, grabbing an enemy from behind and stabbing their throat, and snapping an enemy's neck from behind. Also of course brutal melee occurs automatically if you jump and land on an enemy (dropping knife kill). Also if you use a knife kill, you have the option to throw the knife at a nearby enemy and get a "second kill" using R3.

Yes, those are great and all. But still, it's a downgrade from KZ3 (except for the throwing knife thing)

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I like 3 and 4. Never played the first two. I don't care for the story but I love the futuristic city scenery in SF, I wanted to explore a lot more of that than anything else. I at least liked it better than the Crysis trilogy. But you can get Shadow fall for around $25 shipped brand new on Ebay, I paid $23 for mine.

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

probably because the graphics weren't as promised like how that guy sued sony for 5 million over that. ( i know, Hilarious)