Which do you prefer: Skyrim or Kingdoms of Amulur?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mattamomo (919 posts) -

I have yet to play either and am curious as to which is considered better.

Your opinions please :)

#2 Posted by tjricardo089 (7429 posts) -

Skyrim, but Kingdoms of Amalur doesn't stays too behind.

#3 Posted by TomatoDragonPSN (531 posts) -
They are definitely even matched for me. Seems like each compliments the other, where Skyrim has the storyline and characters, but Reckoning has the fast paced combat and leveling system. Both are quite enjoyable with positives and negatives being complimented by each other.
#4 Posted by drummer131 (3210 posts) -

For me personally, I prefer Amalur. It's more fun to play and watch. For me. My brother has played both and I honestly don't think he has a preference. They both do certain things very well.

#5 Posted by finalserenade75 (2162 posts) -

Kingdoms of Amalur for the sole fact that it doesn't get repetitive gameplay wise. Every other aspect though I'd say Skyrim is better.

#6 Posted by The-Apostle (12170 posts) -
Skyrim. Easily.
#7 Posted by unrealtron (3148 posts) -
Skyrim.
#8 Posted by ItsEvolution (2593 posts) -

I only have the Amalur demo to compare Skyrim to, so it's not really fair...but I can't see myself racking up the 105 hours I've put on Skyrim.

#9 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -
Skyrim with no contest.
#10 Posted by Conver (3300 posts) -

Skyrim! It's a lot of fun.

#11 Posted by ez_moneymaker (1211 posts) -

Kingdoms of Amalur for the sole fact that it doesn't get repetitive gameplay wise. Every other aspect though I'd say Skyrim is better.

finalserenade75
Its repetitive. I liked Amalur more cuz it just feels more like a fantasy game. Skyrim is great though.
#12 Posted by cdragon_88 (1133 posts) -

Skyrim--freedom/choice/exploration/unfocused/poor combat

KOA--story driven/motivated/fun combat/limited exploration/limited freedom

Depends on what you want if you are thinking of buying one or both of them.

Me, I prefer Skyrim.

#13 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13130 posts) -
Definitely Skyrim, but Amalur is great, too.
#14 Posted by coasterguy65 (5876 posts) -

Just get both. You probably will in the end.

I think Amulur is the better game, but I am far more addicted to Skycrack. I really can't explain why. Subliminal messages, maybe?

#15 Posted by jnjreams76 (770 posts) -
I really like both games, but for me, Skyrim is by far the better game. I find Kingdoms feels more repetetive and not nearly as "large" a game. Both are great fun though, wouldn't be a bad choice either way you go.
#16 Posted by ddlcpc (856 posts) -

skyrim - fun at first then rest very repetative nd then get boring..

kingdoms of amulur - not great but gameplay is really fun, repetative but has its moment...

#17 Posted by Bladebri (239 posts) -

I've been enjoying KoA more then Skyrim. The combat is very refreshing and I like the colorful, fantasy feel to the world. Though I have Skyrim for my PC and I'm sure once more fun mods come out, I may be back into Skyrim once again. For now though, KoA is just more fun for myself.

#18 Posted by Young_Charter (19845 posts) -
this needs a poll lol
#19 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

KoA has better combat but the game suffers from some bad repetition. Skyrim is just bigger, more immersive, and far more varied. Skyrim is the better game.

#20 Posted by Sokol4ever (6304 posts) -
I haven't played past Amulur demo so its not fare for me to compare. On the other side I might had been spoiled by Skyrim, its really fantastic game in all aspects. I will definitely try Amulur at later. Saving up money for ME3 and have games I haven't finished yet.
#21 Posted by csadhoo (1462 posts) -

I've been wondering this too....I love Skyrim and I played the demo for Kingdoms of Amulur i loved the gameplay in that. Much more Fable-esque in my opinion and a lot more fast-paced. Both games you can't go wrong with it just depends on your RPG style.

#22 Posted by ristactionjakso (5713 posts) -

Kingdoms of Amalur is actually playable on PS3, so KOA.

#23 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

I prefer Skyrim, but that's because I haven't really played Kingdoms yet.

I've heard the combat in Kingdoms is great. The combat in Skryim, for the most part, is pretty bad.

#24 Posted by 4dr1el (2408 posts) -

Skyrim

#25 Posted by KamuiFei (4251 posts) -

Skyrim, no question.

#26 Posted by H_M_1 (1150 posts) -

Just get both. You probably will in the end.

I think Amulur is the better game, but I am far more addicted to Skycrack. I really can't explain why. Subliminal messages, maybe?

coasterguy65
Lol true, I have KoA, but might pick up Skyrim after I've completed KoA, like this good sir has said, just get both games.
#27 Posted by Bucketoffish (90 posts) -
Agreed. KOA is actually good on the PS3. There are only a few rough camera angles, but those are easily fixable. The combat is better.
#28 Posted by HipHopBeats (2874 posts) -

Both are worth owning and compliment each other. When you get tired of one, you'll want to play the other.

Skyrim pros:

Massive open world to explore

No 2 playtrhoughs will be the same

Instresting NPC's and a few memorable ones

Different ways and options to play out quests amd interact with NPC's

Random cool s*** will happen like finding out you have a contract on you for some book you stole for someone's house 10 hours ago.

Watching enemies like giants, dragons and necromancers fight each other

Skyrim cons:

Gets repetitive after 20 hours in

Easily become over encumbered with pointless fetch quests

No way to reset perk points. You will probably spend 40 hours your 1st play, realizing your character sucks and will have to start all over so don't overwrite your 1st save. Visit www.skyrimcalculator.com and plan your character

Clunky combat

Companion AI gets annoying and can become a chore dealing with them. They're useful when you need extra hands to carry loot from dungeons but they get in your way and will senselessly walk over traps in dungeons if you don't talk to them and tell them to wait in a certain spot.

Amalur pros:

Combat kicks ass

You don't have to wait until level 30 to do cool s***

You can reset your XP points by visiting a Fateweaver and change your character build on the fly

Side quests will keep you busy and make forget there is a main quest line to complete.

Vivid, colorful world

Amalur cons:

Dull and skippable dialog from mostly unintresting NPC's except for the Fae

Story starts out intersting but quickly dwindles downhill

Even on the hardest difficulty, you'll only die a handful of times

Camera angles could be better