where are the 20s???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 SageJMP
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

I finally got my tax refund (filing really early and online gets it really quick) and I now am hunting down a ps3.

The only problem is the only freaking ones I can find are the 60 GB models and I really want to save the 100 dollars for the 20GB model but I can't find any.  I don't need wireless and I don't need the memory card slots, so that is why I'm trying to save money.  Why can't they put more 20s out???

jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jwat4
Member since 2003 • 1934 Posts

I finally got my tax refund (filing really early and online gets it really quick) and I now am hunting down a ps3.

The only problem is the only freaking ones I can find are the 60 GB models and I really want to save the 100 dollars for the 20GB model but I can't find any.  I don't need wireless and I don't need the memory card slots, so that is why I'm trying to save money.  Why can't they put more 20s out???

SageJMP

Ebgames.com or Gamespot.com...that would be your best bet at this piont...they have been very and I mean very hard to find since the 2nd or 3rd week after Launch....

Walmart, Target and Meijer were the last three stores I saw a 20GB at...and that was weeks ago... So good luck searching but I suggest buying one online...it would save you a lot of time...

Searching about a 400 mile radius on EBGames website I found 1-3 20GB at a store in Strongsville OH...thats like a 3hr drive from where I live....thats how hard its going to be to find one in stores... 

Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts

The 60gb version is the better way to go.  20gb's could get eaten up pretty quick with downloads & music & not having wi-fi functionality sucks. 

kingalphagold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 kingalphagold
Member since 2006 • 304 Posts
The 20 gig can be found Online at electronic sites, but they tend to be in small numbers.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jwat4

The 60gb version is the better way to go.  20gb's could get eaten up pretty quick with downloads & music & not having wi-fi functionality sucks. 

ColoradoKindBud
I have a 20GB and I certainly dont mind not having Wi-fi...and with the money I saved....I upgraded the HDD to 160GB...so it really doesnt suck all that bad...and as the OP said he doesnt need the Wi-fi
JoeyDrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 JoeyDrey
Member since 2003 • 458 Posts
I bought a 20 gig 2 weeks after launch.  Best investment yet.  I too dont have WiFi and I dont have and CF cards so whats the point?  I have a PSP and I move music and games on and off of it all the time.  Dont waste your money on a 60 gig, it isnt worth it if you dont have those extra things.  Spend the extra 100 dollars on a better HDD for the 20 gig.  By the way,  20 gigs is ALOT of space!  If you really need more than 20 gigs of space your crazy.  I have 20 albums on my PS3 and 100 photos as well as full auto 2 and motorstorm and sudoku.  And I still have 11 gigs on the console!   Its plenty of space for now, believe me.
MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

Where ever you get it from, you better get it fast, I don't have a link but from what I've read at some gaming websites sony is trying to faze out the 20gig model. I know it's not an official word, but look at what's going on.

bennypost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bennypost
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts
Call around to your local gaming shops, (EB GAMES, GAMESPOT, etc.) and see. When I was in search for a 60GB model, calling around helped me a lot and nearly all of them had the 20GB and 60GB versions in stock. As mentioned before, a nice search of the local shops to see which has which is a good bet. Best Buy sells them online, as well as Circuit City. It's not the easiest thing to find, but have faith, you will find one. -benny
BuSt_A_cAp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BuSt_A_cAp
Member since 2006 • 96 Posts
wal-mart,wal-mart that's our store, we shop there because we're poor.
bobbyD213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bobbyD213
Member since 2006 • 711 Posts
how do u hook it up to the internet without wi-fi.
Alpha2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Alpha2
Member since 2003 • 3203 Posts
20gigs only count for 20% of total shipments so if a store gets 30 systems only 6 of them will be 20gbs.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jwat4
how do u hook it up to the internet without wi-fi.bobbyD213
Hardwire....just like a PC
tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts
Ethernet cord bud. for the OP, like the others said, just call around. My local Best Buy had 10 of both when i was shopping around. just depends where you're located usually.
SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SageJMP
My search continues to fail...I can't even find any online except for toys'r'us in a stupid sports bundle with games I don't want.
AngelsFan32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AngelsFan32
Member since 2006 • 2179 Posts
ebgames/gamestop.com. They are selling them now.

Never mind it's back ordered.
moshy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 moshy25
Member since 2006 • 123 Posts
sams club
SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SageJMP

I broke down!   After hearing constant, "We don't know when or if we will get any more 20GBs in" and "We haven't seen a 20GB since launch" I decided to just fork up the extra 100 dollars.

Well, at least if I ever get a wireless router, I'm set there.  I also sold some of my ps2 games to help fund for the extra cost.  I sat down and said to myself...am I really going to ever play some of these games again.  No more katamari, no more burnout, oh well, new version of burnout should be out later this year.  I kept basically my rpgs and sold some of my racing games and other types.

pvtselect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pvtselect
Member since 2003 • 201 Posts
Buy.com had some in stock. I just ordered mine from them.  You do have to buy an accessory with it though. 
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

SageJMP
The 60 gig is what Sony wants to sell to the market, the 20 gig is for the causal market I guess, I pick up a 20 gig over the weekend.
Just_Desert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Just_Desert
Member since 2004 • 381 Posts

Ethernet....
knicknut17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 knicknut17
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts
I was going to get the 20GB model, but I decided to get the 60GB model for the following reasons. 1) 60 gigs of space! That is ample space to put ANYTHING and everything on your system. I use about 10 GB for Linux on the PS3. Why have I put Linux on my PS3? I get to use a REAL web browser in Mozilla Firefox and I get to use Gaim to talk to friends via AIM. The fact that Open Office is also included is pretty sweet, but honestly, I have a computer for that. 60 gigs allows you to put almost ALL of your music, movies, and pictures on it. 2) Upgrade the amount of space on your PS3 with an external hard drive rather than an internal one. IF for whatever reason 60GB wasn't enough space, it is much cheaper to buy an external hard drive than an 2.5" SATA one. In fact, the external drive will probably run faster too...Use the 60GB on the PS3 to store whatever stuff you deem most important and store the rest of it elsewhere. 3) As for the memory card slots, I think they're bloody convenient. I can pop my SD card from my Treo into my PS3 and upload music in a snap. Same thing applies for my PSP and my 4GB Memory Stick Duo. You can also use a flash based USB drive with the PS3 also... 4) Chrome trim is SEXY. VERY SEXY compared to the all-black look of the 20GB model. 5) Wi-fi. Yeah I know that you don't HAVE to have wi-fi, but I think it's a great option to have. Besides, if you love playing online games on a hardwire connection, you can still do that with the 60GB model. 6) If you have a PSP then there is no question about which model to buy. The 20GB model does NOT support the Remote Play function. This may not seem like a big deal now, but one day when you can access the data on your PS3 from anywhere in the world from your PSP, that may become an important factor. In my opinion, after you drop 500 dollars on a console, another 100 isn't going to kill you. I weighed the pros and cons of each system for a long time before buying my PS3. I have no doubt that I made the right decision.
dan_brouwer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 dan_brouwer
Member since 2006 • 1111 Posts
[QUOTE="knicknut17"]I was going to get the 20GB model, but I decided to get the 60GB model for the following reasons. 1) 60 gigs of space! That is ample space to put ANYTHING and everything on your system. I use about 10 GB for Linux on the PS3. Why have I put Linux on my PS3? I get to use a REAL web browser in Mozilla Firefox and I get to use Gaim to talk to friends via AIM. The fact that Open Office is also included is pretty sweet, but honestly, I have a computer for that. 60 gigs allows you to put almost ALL of your music, movies, and pictures on it. 2) Upgrade the amount of space on your PS3 with an external hard drive rather than an internal one. IF for whatever reason 60GB wasn't enough space, it is much cheaper to buy an external hard drive than an 2.5" SATA one. In fact, the external drive will probably run faster too...Use the 60GB on the PS3 to store whatever stuff you deem most important and store the rest of it elsewhere. 3) As for the memory card slots, I think they're bloody convenient. I can pop my SD card from my Treo into my PS3 and upload music in a snap. Same thing applies for my PSP and my 4GB Memory Stick Duo. You can also use a flash based USB drive with the PS3 also... 4) Chrome trim is SEXY. VERY SEXY compared to the all-black look of the 20GB model. 5) Wi-fi. Yeah I know that you don't HAVE to have wi-fi, but I think it's a great option to have. Besides, if you love playing online games on a hardwire connection, you can still do that with the 60GB model. 6) If you have a PSP then there is no question about which model to buy. The 20GB model does NOT support the Remote Play function. This may not seem like a big deal now, but one day when you can access the data on your PS3 from anywhere in the world from your PSP, that may become an important factor. In my opinion, after you drop 500 dollars on a console, another 100 isn't going to kill you. I weighed the pros and cons of each system for a long time before buying my PS3. I have no doubt that I made the right decision.

I don't think he wants to be persuaded to get a 60Gb, and I think he was hinting at that in his first post. If anyone wants a 20Gb I would suggest to look online, as Sony isn't shipping too many of them out.