What Version of Linux is the Best

This topic is locked from further discussion.

samurai210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 samurai210
Member since 2003 • 223 Posts
I would like to know what version of linux is the best to have for your PS3. I have noticed that there are tons versions of linux out there but which one should I use. Can they all run the same linux applications or programs designed for linux? Or do only certain linux OS's run certain programs and apps.

What linux would you recommend and Why?
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
I would like to know what version of linux is the best to have for your PS3. I have noticed that there are tons versions of linux out there but which one should I use. Can they all run the same linux applications or programs designed for linux? Or do only certain linux OS's run certain programs and apps.

What linux would you recommend and Why?
samurai210
They're all the same OS core but they have diferences in interface and such but each is made for a purpose. Debian for example is designed to be stable, Ubuntu is designed to be easy to use and YellowDog, well that was just made to run on Macs. They can all use the same software, just be careful as some like debian for example can be hard to use as Linux has no native GUI like most other operating systems. Also, if you know nothing of linux dont install it until you know much more about it.
samurai210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 samurai210
thx
samurai210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 samurai210
what has the best GUI. And is most like windows or mac
DylanDJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DylanDJK
Member since 2005 • 2001 Posts

Linux strives NOT to be anything like windows, but YDL has a "start up bar" like Mac's do imo. I have Yellow dog and LOVE it, too bad i can only use it once and awhile as i have to use my bros HDTV to use it :(.

--JpR--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 --JpR--
Member since 2004 • 394 Posts
so should i put yellow dog linux on the PS3???
DylanDJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DylanDJK
ONLY if you know what Linux is/how it works/ and have SOME knowledge in it. If your a newb to it, i dont suggest it but if you kow what you are doing, by all means go ahead!
samurai210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 samurai210
yes if your good at it and you know how
samurai210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 samurai210
thx for the info
samurai210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 samurai210
hay I am willing to figure anything out. I just want to use linux for the internet brower can't you run firefox?
--JpR--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 --JpR--

can u get viruses on your PS3 though?

samurai210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 samurai210
I don't think so virus's affect programs and operating systems, linux on the other hand I think right now is immuned to viruses. You never see antivirus programs available for linux,because you don't need them.
--JpR--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 --JpR--

is the internet browser good? compared to IE7?

and is it useful for typing up documents with a usb keyboard, like for school or something?

a lot of people say not to put linux on your PS3

DylanDJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DylanDJK
I have already typed 5 school assignments on it and Firefox is WAY better then IE7 IMO.
samurai210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 samurai210
Linux gives you PS3 more options. Personally I don't like internet explorer 7 I use mozilla firefox. I hope to install a ton of applications on linux so that I will be able to use my PS3 as a personal computer that is the whole point to linux.
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 teebeenz
I have already typed 5 school assignments on it and Firefox is WAY better then IE7 IMO.DylanDJK
Yes Firefox is the the browser to use no matter what OS you have, infact as youd see if you had FF, IE7 was made by MS to copy Firefox. Ill say once again tho, Linux is not made for average joes, its designed by geeks for geeks, and while some can be easy to use on top if something goes wrong it can be very hard to fix if you dont know the basics. So do research on linux before you go in. You should know about: * Shell commands and how to navigate around the shell * What "root" is and why its important to know * Why \ is wrong and / is right. * You also need to know about the various update system for the dist you choose, apt-get for debian for example. Knowing this info will help keep your system upto date, secure and of course always using the most the PS3 can offer.
samurai210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 samurai210
Yes I do plan on figuring it out, and becoming a master at it, the main thing I want to do is run firefox so not that big of a deal.
--JpR--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 --JpR--
so all of you have linux on your PS3? how do you start it up, is it fast?  i dunno much about it but yea it seems like its something to have when i get my PS3 someday...any tutorial sites?
samurai210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 samurai210
I don't have it on my PS3 yet. Because of ca$h I need to by a bigger hardrive. Yes there are tutorial sites here is a link http://ps3.qj.net/ Has tons of info hacks on how to's
--JpR--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 --JpR--
whats the best for the PS3, Yellow Dog or Ubuntu?
kori911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 kori911
Member since 2003 • 591 Posts
Ubuntu is a great flavor, they have a great support site. If that works with the PS3 then use it.
caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts
whats the best for the PS3, Yellow Dog or Ubuntu?--JpR--
I think any form of Linux will work. I have Yellow Dog on mine and it works great.
sxs_alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 sxs_alex
Member since 2007 • 933 Posts
from my experience with gentoo linux it's smoking fast and stable, but the installation took very long time so you'll need lots of patience for this. it took my installation 14 hrs to complete. gentoo linux(think of it as DOS) took about 1 hr ... gnome(think of it as Windows) took a good 13 hrs. i think i could've cut the time in half if i installed the lite version of gnome. instead i installed the full package. i let my ps3 on since 3am and it completed at 5pm *sigh*. it used up 3.6gb of space. i only have about 6 gb left but that's enough for me to do other things on it. it's nice to have linux running on the ps3. it feels like a supercomputer. the nice thing about gentoo is that you only need to use the command "emerge" to install about anything. all my installation were from using just that command. for example emerge VLC, emerge gnome, emerge mozilla. i wouldn't recommend it to the newbies though.
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 teebeenz
from my experience with gentoo linux it's smoking fast and stable, but the installation took very long time so you'll need lots of patience for this. it took my installation 14 hrs to complete. gentoo linux(think of it as DOS) took about 1 hr ... gnome(think of it as Windows) took a good 13 hrs. i think i could've cut the time in half if i installed the lite version of gnome. instead i installed the full package. i let my ps3 on since 3am and it completed at 5pm *sigh*. it used up 3.6gb of space. i only have about 6 gb left but that's enough for me to do other things on it. it's nice to have linux running on the ps3. it feels like a supercomputer. the nice thing about gentoo is that you only need to use the command "emerge" to install about anything. all my installation were from using just that command. for example emerge VLC, emerge gnome, emerge mozilla. i wouldn't recommend it to the newbies though. sxs_alex
Gentoo is the last Dist to install. Gentoo is make it yourself, you customise everything in a very detailed way and that involves indepth knowledge. Unless you already have used linux for years you want to avoid it. As for all dists working, any that has an installer should work fine, but remember the PS3 is new to people so itll take time for dists to make installers or add drivers for hardwre features.
knicknut17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 knicknut17
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts

is the internet browser good? compared to IE7?

and is it useful for typing up documents with a usb keyboard, like for school or something?

a lot of people say not to put linux on your PS3

--JpR--
Firefox works like a charm. If only they would add Flash support now...In due time I'm sure. Yes, you can use Open Office to type up documents and stuff like that. I use my PS3 to go on AIM. Soon they will add Wi-Fi support. I don't think it is the most awesome thing in the world, but it's definitely cool and shows a LOT of promise. I am very interested in how future Linux kernels on PS3 look. If they really wanted to, they could turn the PS3 into an ALL-OUT computer...
--JpR--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 --JpR--

im really don't know much about linux...which is best for me? and should i just wait until the come out with a linux specifically made for PS3 and more user-friendly, also if i install it, does it delete everything thats on my PS3 hardrive???

thanks for all the help-

sxs_alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 sxs_alex
Member since 2007 • 933 Posts
ubuntu and gentoo is too hard. i 'd say go for YDL because it's much easier for newbies to install
samurai210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 samurai210
Yellow dog is what I hear I want to learn how to install everything so it will be a second computer. In linux though can you put wallpapers and stuff on it. Does it have a GUI