Weird Graphical Issues with PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Hello. I am having some werid graphical issues with my PS3. I constantly see texture flickering or 3D lines during gameplay of my games. This is not a title specific issue. In Tekken 6 for example, 3D lines will just start coming off a characters outfit. In Sonic All Stars Transformed. The whole screen will flash. Sometimes the icons in the XMB disappear as well. The menus are fine overall, but the icons just suddenly vanish. Is there anything I can do about this?

Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Schreek
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

Interesting. Are you running through an HDMI? Because some issues then are resolved by making your PS3 only able to output 720p and 1080p by turning off 1080i.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamenerd15

Interesting. Are you running through an HDMI? Because some issues then are resolved by making your PS3 only able to output 720p and 1080p by turning off 1080i.

Schreek

I am running on regular TV/VCR set. I am not even in HD at all.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

[QUOTE="Schreek"]

gamenerd15

1289788102664.jpg

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

[QUOTE="Schreek"]

gamenerd15

Stanley

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Lines and flickering suggests a TV issue, but the XMB icons disappearing is a weird one.

I would first try and isolate the problem to a specific section of your setup, starting with the cheapest component. So TV->cables->console.

Avatar image for The_Golden_Age-
The_Golden_Age-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Golden_Age-
Member since 2012 • 172 Posts

Hello. I am having some werid graphical issues with my PS3. I constantly see texture flickering or 3D lines during gameplay of my games. This is not a title specific issue. In Tekken 6 for example, 3D lines will just start coming off a characters outfit. In Sonic All Stars Transformed. The whole screen will flash. Sometimes the icons in the XMB disappear as well. The menus are fine overall, but the icons just suddenly vanish. Is there anything I can do about this?

gamenerd15

I had issues with white horizontal lines running down the screen every once in a while. That was years ago on a really crappy SDTV (not saying that yours is crappy but mine sure was). You said that it's a TV/VCR combo? I think that's the real problem. If you try to run a DVD player or Blu-ray player through a VCR you will get a lot of problems. I think I remember one of my friends trying to run a PS2 through a TV/VCR combo back in the day and it wouldn't work properly.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I dont know what to say buddy.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamenerd15

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

The_Golden_Age-

I had issues with white horizontal lines running down the screen every once in a while. That was years ago on a really crappy SDTV (not saying that yours is crappy but mine sure was). You said that it's a TV/VCR combo? I think that's the real problem. If you try to run a DVD player or Blu-ray player through a VCR you will get a lot of problems. I think I remember one of my friends trying to run a PS2 through a TV/VCR combo back in the day and it wouldn't work properly.

No, they are not white horizontal lines. They are actual graphical issues within the game itself. They are actually 3D in shape. For example, when I play tekken 6 and Law is wearing his Yellow Martial Arts outfit, 3D orange lines will come off his body. My guess would be that the Graphics chip or something inside the PS3 is either wore out. The only other guess I can think of is that my controller is a little broken and has trouble recharging and it cuts out a lot and then reconnects. When this happens, sometimes a notice pops up saying that my USB ports are low on power or something of that nature. My TV/Vcr combo has a VCR built inside of the TV. My AV cables go inside the TV directly.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kravyn81

[QUOTE="The_Golden_Age-"]

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

gamenerd15

No, they are not white horizontal lines. They are actual graphical issues within the game itself. They are actually 3D in shape. For example, when I play tekken 6 and Law is wearing his Yellow Martial Arts outfit, 3D orange lines will come off his body. My guess would be that the Graphics chip or something inside the PS3 is either wore out. The only other guess I can think of is that my controller is a little broken and has trouble recharging and it cuts out a lot and then reconnects. When this happens, sometimes a notice pops up saying that my USB ports are low on power or something of that nature. My TV/Vcr combo has a VCR built inside of the TV. My AV cables go inside the TV directly.

Dude...dude...DUDE! You're not listening.

Throw out your sh!tty TV from 1996 and invest some money in a cheap HDTV, OK??

Mow some lawns, get a paper route or sell some blood. HDTVs are NOT that expensive anymore. So, do what you have to do, buy a sh!tty brand from Wal-mart but at least you'll have an HDTV.

Here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-32-Class-LCD-720p-60Hz-HDTV-X322BV-HD/15739136 - That's $189.

Stop playing your 2006 technology on 1996 technology and maybe that solve your problem.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamenerd15

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

[QUOTE="The_Golden_Age-"]

Kravyn81

Dude...dude...DUDE! You're not listening.

Throw out your sh!tty TV from 1996 and invest some money in a cheap HDTV, OK??

Mow some lawns, get a paper route or sell some blood. HDTVs are NOT that expensive anymore. So, do what you have to do, buy a sh!tty brand from Wal-mart but at least you'll have an HDTV.

Here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-32-Class-LCD-720p-60Hz-HDTV-X322BV-HD/15739136 - That's $189.

Stop playing your 2006 technology on 1996 technology and maybe that solve your problem.

WTF is your problem? I have not had a problem with playing games until a couple of months ago. If my crappy tv as you call could play games fine for five and half years, then obviously it is another issue. I do not know why everyone is being judgmental about what TV I use to play games. I do not have extra money right now due to bills. Even if I did, why should I invest in a new TV when the old one has worked fine for years. I should also mention that Wii games run fine. If other systems are running fine, then clearly my TV is ok. I can watch movies with no problems. I did not whine about anything. I just asked simple questions and half the people are jumping on my case just because I am not up to code with the latest and greatest.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kravyn81

WTF is your problem?

gamenerd15
Trust me, kid, you really don't want me to answer that question. Secondly, yes, it would behoove you to invest in a new TV because you're only cheating yourself. Afterall, you found the money to buy a PS3. I don't care what you have to do: Beg, borrow or steal and upgrade your TV. You don't need the latest and greatest, but you SHOULD make an effort to stay with relevant technology.
Cedars65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cedars65
Member since 2012 • 40 Posts

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

WTF is your problem?

Kravyn81

Trust me, kid, you really don't want me to answer that question. Secondly, yes, it would behoove you to invest in a new TV because you're only cheating yourself. Afterall, you found the money to buy a PS3. I don't care what you have to do: Beg, borrow or steal and upgrade your TV. You don't need the latest and greatest, but you SHOULD make an effort to stay with relevant technology.

You are the worst.

As for the OP, it could be the TV, but sounds like if the Wii works fine then that's not the issue. Not sure what exactly in the PS3 would be causing the problems you described though.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kravyn81
You are the worst.Cedars65
Awww, how sweet. But flattery will get you no where with me, buddy.
nolson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nolson
Member since 2003 • 1141 Posts

OP, Sorry about kravyn81 being a douche. Anyway, I had a 60GB launch ps3 that had some similar issues you are describing and I too could find no one else who could seem to help me with my problem. I would play certain games like burnout and 3d bars and weird crap would pop out of the cars and stuff. I am fairly confident the GPU is shot in your system as that is what was wrong with mine. You will either have to send it to sony or buy a whole new system which is what I did.