warning to ps plus users (automatic renewal)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

when you sign up for ps plus, your account is automatically set to be renewed upon expiration unless you go through their menus and find the disable button (which isn't readily visible).

yes, it's legal and i didn't the read the small print i agreed to. but it's just morally questionable.

even though i didnt like xbox live, they never did that

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

All companies do that

It's call a convenience

When you get old enough to drive I want you to complain to your insurance company for charging your card every 6 months

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

That's why I buy it from Game Stop. I enter a code from a card and not my credit card.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

pretty much every subscription service does that :?

SLAMMIN23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 SLAMMIN23
Member since 2007 • 1665 Posts

they cant renew it if u dont have a credit or a debit card on the system i get playstation plus every year but i dont have a credit card or a debit card on my system so i just buy the ps cards every year i might try to buy 2 of them at gamestop for there thanksgiving sale cause there going to be $30 instead of $50 for 1 year

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

xbox live asked me first.

again, totally my fault for not reading.

but no doubt sony knew it was signing up people who didnt want to renew

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#7 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I was fooled by this a long time back. I was well aware that I had to cancel the automatic renewal, but I thought the turning off the "Automatic Funding" would have sufficed, but that's something different. So I pretty much purchased an additional 3 months of PS+ I didn't want. Even after that, I still ended up purchasing a year of it later on down the road, to which I immediately found the correct option to turn off the automatic renewal. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has made this mistake. It's a dumb mistake, sure. But I'm willing to bet it's happened to a good amount of people.

XspidervenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 XspidervenomX
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

@drekula2:

Use a prepaid card for gaming accounts. Only gets used when you want it too, cant really get hacked if you only transfer funds when you want them. So basically 2 prepaid cards one with money one you use for gaming accounts.

RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

I had Xbox Live and they did this as well. You can turn the automatic renewal off on Xbox. PS Plus Subscription can be turned off for auto renewal as well.

lyndonAPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lyndonAPI
Member since 2002 • 2794 Posts

Unlike some, I read the details when first signing up and knew they would automatically renew using either wallet funds or my cc if on the account. Quite honestly, I like the auto renew for this as I don't have to remember when it is time to renew.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

You're saying its not moral? So its not moral for you to committ to paying a bill on time? Dude, there isn't anything wrong with it. Just be a rational adult and keep track of your bills so that you can cancel when you need to. You're actually saying its not moral for them to ask you to like, click a couple of buttons and read text?

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Izak80
Member since 2008 • 399 Posts

@RiKanKiDD: how do you turn off the automatic renewal?

Bow_T88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Bow_T88
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I have a question concerning the free ps plus membership. Does it require a credit card or debit card number to be functional ?

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

I use my credit/debit for any purchases including PS+....once I'm done I remove my credit info right away it only takes 5sec. So that way I don't get charged. That's something I never understood why ppl always used their cc but never bothered to remove it. Even when I pay my bills online I never save my cc info I always remove it after paying bill or purchases make sure there's no cc info at all. So maybe ppl should start doing that

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jaysonguy

@JoKeR_421 said:

I use my credit/debit for any purchases including PS+....once I'm done I remove my credit info right away it only takes 5sec. So that way I don't get charged. That's something I never understood why ppl always used their cc but never bothered to remove it. Even when I pay my bills online I never save my cc info I always remove it after paying bill or purchases make sure there's no cc info at all. So maybe ppl should start doing that

Or people could stop being paranoid?

I pay things with my credit card and leave the info in the console so when I want something that I have to buy myself I just click buy.

I don't understand why people don't want to make things easier.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

@JoKeR_421 said:

I always do this. My amazon, play, psn accounts etc... never store my CC details. It's just common sense really. Why plaster your details about the internet for any hacker to get hold of. I pay for my PS+ pre-paid as well. Always the best option for me. Some might call it paranoid but I just call it being astute.

@Bow_T88 Not sure which free PS+ you are refering to but whenever I have had a free trial I just get a code to input into the PSN. No CC required.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jaysonguy

@withe1982 said:

I always do this. My amazon, play, psn accounts etc... never store my CC details. It's just common sense really. Why plaster your details about the internet for any hacker to get hold of. I pay for my PS+ pre-paid as well. Always the best option for me. Some might call it paranoid but I just call it being astute.

You understand that people NEVER steal credit card numbers from stored cards right?

You're paranoid

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@withe1982 said:

You understand that people NEVER steal credit card numbers from stored cards right?

You're paranoid

Not paranoid. If I told you to stick your nuts in a sharks mouth and I can guarantee 100% he wouldn't bite them off would you still do it? I work for a company that had CC details hacked so I know it can happen (on a very small scale).

You say paranoid. I say better safe then sorry.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jaysonguy

@withe1982 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@withe1982 said:

You're paranoid

Not paranoid. If I told you to stick your nuts in a sharks mouth and I can guarantee 100% he wouldn't bite them off would you still do it? I work for a company that had CC details hacked so I know it can happen (on a very small scale).

You say paranoid. I say better safe then sorry.

Exactly, the credit card details were hacked, that's how it's done

No one wastes time going from account to account taking numbers

If you've ever made a transaction with that card on that service you're vulnerable if that service is ever hacked. All you're doing by removing the card each time is giving yourself unnecessary work.

dipdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By dipdish
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

I deleted the information about my payment method just after I had subscribed to PS+. I'm a Turk, and everybody tries to fool you everyday in my country, so I rarely leave anything to chance. = )

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

@Jaysonguy: its not about being paranoid ...... if ppl want to buy things and don't want their cc info to get charged for w.e reason for ex. DC universe online if ur legendary expired and ur cc info is there it will charge u automatically for another month. Some ppl might not want that so as I mentioned just simply REMOVE UR INFO as soon as u done making any purchases.