alanissak320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 alanissak320
Member since 2015 • 103 Posts

After some research i found out how much a PS4 consumes power on standby. It uses 10 Watts. I used a calculator and found out my cities Killowatt per hour (KWH) cost. For Los Angeles its 21.6 cents. doing the math i found out a ps4 on standby only costs $18.92. But when fully on it consumes almost 140% more power. So i still suggest a full power off if you are not gonna play for a few hours or days. And in most other cities the price is the same. So there is a helpful tip for who ever was wondering on the price.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Assuming I trust your work that isn't cited and assuming your work is accurate...thanks.

It's nice to know a general annual figure.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I don´t understand other than performing certain tasks ( like updates or downloading a game ) why would you put your console (S) in "rest" mode.

Also, there is always that possibility that something goes wrong with the power supply and your console gets fried up by a sudden surge ( it happened to a friend of mine, he lost his consoles, his sound system and his screen with a power surge ).

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

If I may offer advice: don't leave your console in rest mode. Only do it when you need it - say you want to have a new game downloaded and installed by the time you get home from work, then use it that day.

My reason: you're wasting energy, wasting electric bill money, wearing out components (yes, the fan does turn on and yes energy coursing through the PSU and MB does put mileage on the system), and if you lose power for some reason it's like just pulling the plug on a PC (which everyone knows you shouldn't do). If you aren't actually actively taking advantage of the rest mode features on that day, why risk it? The thing basically goes from off to on instantaneously (at least mine does), so it's not like you're saving much time except for when the odd update needs to install.

My 2 cents

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@xantufrog:

Agreed, The only time I leave mine in restmode is when I'm downloading a game or recharging my controller.

I think it's a nice feature, but it should be used sparingly.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@alanissak320: if that's accurate, that's not bad

alanissak320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 alanissak320
Member since 2015 • 103 Posts

@SolidTy: Oh ill give a link to the calculator http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/electricity-calculator.htm it has a formula too.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@alanissak320 said:

@SolidTy: Oh ill give a link to the calculator http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/electricity-calculator.htm it has a formula too.

Thanks. :P

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@xantufrog: Another reason I have never used the rest mode feature on my PS4 since I've had it around launch. That, and I'm pretty patient on waiting for updates :P

jdfan56k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jdfan56k
Member since 2015 • 118 Posts

Mind. Blown.