Valhalla Knights 3 on PS Vita Release Date Confirmed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

Just figured I'd share this.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/26/valhalla-knights-3-on-ps-vita-release-date-confirmed/

Hey, everyone. Ryan Graff here, XSEEDs newest editor, writer, fetch-quester, and occasional dungeon master.

Ever notice how often JRPG heroes land in jail? Its like a rule; the heroes can mow down any number of guards or soldiers (or monsters, or ancient cosmic horrors), but if anyone ever yells, Youre under arrest! or Take them away! or even just Freeze!, then the heroes have to drop their weapons and assume the position. Of course, they almost never stay in jail for long.

Usually, someone lets them out, or they find a secret passage, or they overpower their one inept guard, and then its just a short walk to the box with all their stuff in it, if the guards even took their stuff in the first place. Of course, you couldnt have a whole RPG where the heroes stay in prison or could you? And if so, what would it be like?

Valhalla Knights 3, 04

Vita owners can find out on October 15th, when Valhalla Knights 3, a game that takes that question and runs with it, comes out on both retail shelves and PlayStation Store. The whole action-RPG is set in a medieval prison called Carceron, a converted fortress surrounded by war-torn wildlands.

Prisoners roam the halls, grounds, and dungeons at will, with the guards walled off and watching from out of sight. Within the prison, the inmates run their own society, complete with shops, guilds, and other establishments well get to later. Ruling the prisoners are the Families organized crime syndicates each with their own laws and territory. Above them all is the Emperor, an infamous, warmongering tyrant. He believes that the prison holds a legendary treasure, one so priceless that hes already torn down kingdoms in search of it.

The main characters name, gender, appearance, voice, race, and job class are all up to you, with job classes ranging from traditional Fighters, Mages, and Priests, to more distinctive classes such as Ninja, Samurai, and Amazon. As a veteran from the losing side of the Emperors war, youve been forced into servitude by a magical curse called the Mark of Death. Your task is to infiltrate the prison disguised as a newly arrived prisoner, aka fresh meat and find the treasure before the Emperor gets there himself.

To do that, youll need to get in good with the prisons most powerful Families, by carrying out their dirty work in the form of quests and favors. Build a reputation, and ordinary prisoners will ask for your help, too sometimes to find a lost heirloom or clear out monsters, other times to kill someone who might not even know why.

Valhalla Knights 3, 03Valhalla Knights 3, 01

What helps Valhalla Knights 3 stand out is its harsh tone. Every facet of the game, from its mission structure to its steep difficulty and lack of an autosave (Save often!), reminds you that youre trapped in a brutal system, under constant watch, forced to kill or be killed. Youll carry out orders to hunt down your fellow prisoners whether they deserve it or not, and even when they do, they still have loved ones wholl miss them.

Most of the time, youll have no choice youre under the Mark of Death from the start, and the Emperor can kill you with a thought if you disobey him but is that enough of an excuse? Is even your life worth doing what youre forced to do? Valhalla Knights 3 makes you question that, and if youre into moral discussions, its worth playing for that alone.

After hours, you can soothe your guilty conscience by visiting the prisons Light District. Carceron is co-ed, and some of its ladies are gainfully employed in the Districts classy guilds and shops. Find a girl you like, make sure she isnt spoken for, frequent her business, get to know her, and bring her favorite gifts and she just might help you find a brief escape from the prisons harsh reality. Bond with her closely enough, and shell even follow you into battle. And it goes both ways, too; you can romance and recruit characters of both genders, regardless of your own.

Valhalla Knights 3, 02

Speaking of recruits, the gameplay revolves around party-vs-party brawls. No prisoner survives alone for long, and so as you go, youll be able to join with NPC prisoners to form your own clan. Youll lead up to seven characters at a time, almost all of them customizable, into battle against enemy clans and monster packs. The 7-on-7 battles unfold in real time, with the player able to swap characters on the fly and issue group commands from anywhere on the field.

Each clan member also has his or her own personality, which affects their behavior in battle so you might not want to make the team hothead your healer. You can take your party online, too, and fight other players parties in arena battles. (The North American version adds network play and leaderboards on top of the original Japanese versions ad hoc play.)

As much as I love traditional JRPGs, its nice to see one do something different every now and again. I like Valhalla Knights 3 because it combines an interesting setting and atmosphere with the kind of tough difficulty I grew up with. As I write this, were just about set to launch in North America on October 15th on both retail shelves and PlayStation Store, for $39.99.

IPwnNooBs666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 IPwnNooBs666
Member since 2007 • 1425 Posts

To be honest, I wasn't really interested in this game but after reading what you posted I had a change heart. I may just pick this game up eventually.

xGamePlayerx19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 xGamePlayerx19
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

I really couldn't get into the first two on psp but this does look interesting, maybe I'll give the series one last third try.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts
What's with the PS2 graphics? I'm sooo tired of the Japanese being lazy with their games.
Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

Yeah graphics are very dated

xGamePlayerx19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 xGamePlayerx19
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

Yeah the graphics pretty much look like the last two previous installments.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
What's with the PS2 graphics? I'm sooo tired of the Japanese being lazy with their games. Kjranu
It's not being lazy. It's called having a small budget. Unless a developer is using something like a cel-shaded art style, you aren't going to get Square-Enix level of graphics.
Rowettfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rowettfly
Member since 2013 • 79 Posts

The graphics aren't the best, but I really want to play a rpg game on my vita so I may just pick this up. Thanks for telling us!

Steel_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Steel_God
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Interesting detail: Xseed released Valhalla knights 1 on psn for free in advance of the game(Not with ps+, just plain free on your vita OR psp)

Edit: Having played Valhalla knights 1 for a bit, I flat out disagree that the graphics haven't improved. Valhalla knights 1 is definitively ps2 graphics, 3 seems like ps 2.5 graphics, either level of graphics for me is more than enough when you consider it's on a portable format. Trying to equate the graphics of big budget games on home consoles vs low budget handheld games is silly.