This game was seriously overlooked and underappreciated..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

Resistance 3

R3

The game I speak of is none other than Resistance 3! After selling Tomb Raider due to the ridiculous amount of blur and unrefined controls, feeling rather disappointed I was looking for another game to become engrossed in. Now, R3 was the last game I would have expected to purchase. This game totally flew over my head and I don't recall it receiving much attention at launch. For some reason, this series has always been somewhat ignored since the first, perhaps due to the appeal of Uncharted. I personally preferred Ratchet to Jak last gen, but nobody can deny that Naughty Dog stole the thunder this gen.

How then did I stumble across this hidden gem? Whilst playing Trine 2, I suddenly recalled a time when first person shooters were actually fun to play, when they were challenging. I enjoyed the last two Killzone's immensely, but elsewhere I have seen little to impress save for some exceptions. Far too many shooters nowadays rely on gimmicks and modern adjustments to the formula which take away the suspense and difficulty, the most obvious being regenerative health. Boss battles seem almost a thing of the past and checkpoints are far too frequent to pose any sort of challege. The combat itself is far too similar in most games and the guns are just... well, boring. I've simply had enough of red dot sights and drone strikes.

What I craved was something old school, something clunky but in a good sense. Something with good old health packs, and honest boss battles. I want something that doesn't take itself too seriously, that doesn't need superb hollywood style voice acting and a detailed script with characterisation. All I want is a good old fashioned action game, where it's fun to simply shoot things in the face, and I found it in Resistance 3!

Where this game shines, is in remembering that it is first and foremost a game. This game, unlike many others, puts gameplay before everything else. You won't find an amazing story here, nor superbly detailed graphics. What you will find, are shooting mechanics that are refined and accurate. There is variety within the weapons which gives you multiple options in combat. The environments are expansive and the enemies are a challenge, so you have to actually think before firing. Ammo and health are still a little too abundant for my liking, but it's still miles better than most games. You simply cannot run into enemy fire and then cower whilst the game holds your hand, strategy is necessary.

We also get treated to.... boss battles! Oh how I miss boss battles, they are awesome in this game. Whilst there are less than R2, they are a fun challenge and mini bosses are plentiful to build up suspense. The weapons upgrade with use, unlocking more powerful attributes, oh and you can carry as many as you like! I bet some of you remember those days, before we were limited to two guns. They sound fantastic too, which is also rare. The objectives are largely the same and most of the game involves blasting away hords of vicious enemies, but it's so darn fun that you won't complain!

I could rant on, but my message is this.. Anyone who wants a an old school FPS that is fun and challening, buy this game! It's like a hidden gem in a stale genre. I could go on but I suspect you get the message.

Sidenote: Everybody go and buy Trine 2, that is also immensely awesome.

SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SNESMaster420
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts

I agree. I like the whole series.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I've been burnt out on FPS genre for a few years now. Not counting DOOM I can't think of the last one I played.

Not saying it isn't a good game though.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
The series has a whole lacked vision, that's not to say I didn't like the series though. I thought the third one finally came into its own. It's sad it took so long for Insomniac to get a concrete idea on what they wanted the series to be.
marinevetstl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marinevetstl
Member since 2012 • 175 Posts

I could not agree more.  Resistance is a great trilogy.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Resistance 3 was epic. I wish they would make another one for next gen.

I didn't like 2 at all though.

Resistance 1 will always remind me of that first current gen experience.. I was blown away.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#7 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I loved R3 campaign, and absolutely loathed the MP.

Trine 2 is really good too, imoroves on everything that is Trine 1.

But the 3 games that really take the spot for overlooked and underappreciated are Singularity, Binary Domain and Trinity Souls of Zill Oll.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Resistance is an awesome franchise.  It is too bad there is not a Sanzaru developer that loves the series enough to make Resistance 4 and bring the fight to the chimeran home planet. 

JetMoto6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JetMoto6
Member since 2008 • 304 Posts

Resistance 1 will always remind me of that first current gen experience.. I was blown away.

marcheegsr

I couldn't have said it better myself.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

Wow! Surprisingly.... I completely agree and I have been saying that for so long. Resistance 3 was my favorite of the series and I really enjoyed the entire series. I bought all of the games so cheap and it was so worth it.

It is such a shame that the sales of Resistance 3 was low because so many gamers really missed out on such a great game. I couldn't care less what the sales stats were. We see terrible games with huge sales stats.... Resistance 3 was really great and I highly recommend it. I have killzone 2 and 3 and I still prefer Resistance series over Killzone 2 and 3.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts
oh god... just.... no.... im glad the resistance series is dead. aside from resistance 1, it has been an extremely mediocre shooter series that has gotten worse with each game.... if anything, the series is overhyped
MiguelNoche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MiguelNoche
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts

I simply can't play first person.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Minishdriveby
[QUOTE="Geminon"]oh god... just.... no.... im glad the resistance series is dead. aside from resistance 1, it has been an extremely mediocre shooter series that has gotten worse with each game.... if anything, the series is overhyped

I personally thought resistance 1 was the worse. It played like a last generation WWII game with aliens and a neat weapon wheel. The second one although a CoD clone was better, and the third one finally brought the series into its own.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

marcheegsr

maybe they will make another one on next gen we will have to wait and see.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I played it a while ago. It couldn't have been that special because I can't really remember anything about it.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts
I honestly felt it was the best FPS campaign I've played since Half Life 2. Probably because it copied a lot from Half Life 2. But still, it was an outstanding campaign. It's a shame that the multiplayer was underwhelming
Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

Glad to see so many people agree with me, and to think I only had to pay £6 for it! More people should pick it up.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 LordTrexGuy
Member since 2008 • 504 Posts

I would get R3 but after buying Killzone 3 and Crysis 3, I have no money left. Must buy Trine 2 off Steam now.

Habsrule31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Habsrule31
Member since 2012 • 115 Posts
Love this game! Beat it with my sister and she hardly ever plays games. She couldn't put the controller down and always wanted to play!
Fezzinator101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 Fezzinator101
Member since 2011 • 195 Posts

I agree TC. One of the Best fps's ive played this gen.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
I played the entire series, and thought the first was the best by far. The second one was alright, but the third was just bad. The campaign was really dull, the story was lacking, and the multiplayer took a huge step back. It's one of my favorite series on the PS3, but Resistance 3 doesn"t deserve to be called underated.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Minishdriveby
I played the entire series, and thought the first was the best by far. The second one was alright, but the third was just bad. The campaign was really dull, the story was lacking, and the multiplayer took a huge step back. It's one of my favorite series on the PS3, but Resistance 3 doesn"t deserve to be called underated. Granny_Spanked
The first one's story, other than a couple still framed cutscenes, was almost nonexistent.
darkghost75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darkghost75
Member since 2007 • 1584 Posts
I have always liked the resistance series more than the Halo series...one of the reasons I enjoy Sony exclusives more than Microsoft,although I have both ps3/360 and me and my boyfriend are buying ps4/x1
Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
[QUOTE="Granny_Spanked"]I played the entire series, and thought the first was the best by far. The second one was alright, but the third was just bad. The campaign was really dull, the story was lacking, and the multiplayer took a huge step back. It's one of my favorite series on the PS3, but Resistance 3 doesn"t deserve to be called underated. Minishdriveby
The first one's story, other than a couple still framed cutscenes, was almost nonexistent.

True, but I probably didn't notice as much because it was one of the first next gen games, and I was amazed by the graphics and gameplay.
happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 happy_dude64
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts

I bought this the day after it launched. So damn good. I got the platinum last year or two summers ago. So awesome. I'm willing to beat it again if you want to coop.

happydude633

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#26 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts
TC should make poll on how many people liked this game and didn't. Might just bring in some fans.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#27 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Resistance 3 thankfully returned to the dark and gritty routes of Resistance: Fall of Man, and was great in doing so. Not as good as the first, but far superior to the very disappointing second instalment

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#28 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

I particularly liked the way the game data corrupted itself and took a while to remove from my HDD.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I actually agree. Resistance 3's single player is quite good and doesn't fall victim to the negative tropes of modern FPSs such as two weapon limits and regen health.

Chief9088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Chief9088
Member since 2006 • 441 Posts

Resistance 3's campaign, and its inclusion of split screen co-op throughout the campaign, made it vastly superior to Resistance 2. Both Resistance 1 and 3 were excellent, underappreciated games. Resistance 1 was the only FPS since the original Halo that actually gave me huge amounts of enjoyment while playing, largely due to its inclusion of split screen co-op. I was very displeased by Insomniacs decision to make mediocre multiplatform games for a while (i.e. Fuse) and move away from the Resistance franchise after 2011. I don't want Resistance to become stale and recycled garbage like Call of Duty, but I would love to hop back into Insomniac's interesting, Chimera filled universe on the PS4 at least once.