This topic is locked from further discussion.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

I currently own a PS3, but I'm 90% on the PC. On PC i have an SSD that makes things way more responsive along with significantly faster load times.

The PS3 was designed with a limited bus speed (if I'm not mistaken) so adding an SSD to it wasn't all that beneficial.

So my question is, are there any rumors or confirmations that SSDs will benefit the PS4 or will it be limited with it's bus speed thus bottlenecking the SSD to begin with?

Heisenbridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Heisenbridge
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I've read somewhere that the PS4 will support SSD's, but isn't optimized for good use of it, like a PC does.

So if that's true, there's no reason to buy one.

Also, since the PS4 will have a a lot of digital content, and cache data for faster loading of disc games, I bet you definitely want a 1TB storage capacity. The price of such storage for an SSD drive is just not worth it.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 trastamad03

@Heisenbridge said:

I've read somewhere that the PS4 will support SSD's, but isn't optimized for good use of it, like a PC does.

So if that's true, there's no reason to buy one.

Also, since the PS4 will have a a lot of digital content, and cache data for faster loading of disc games, I bet you definitely want a 1TB storage capacity. The price of such storage for an SSD drive is just not worth it.

Yea, guess I'll just transfer the 1TB driver from my PS3 to PS4.

But honestly, when PS4 comes out and someone tests it out and we see a decent improvement, I don't mind shelling out for at least 512GB SSD.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Umm where did you read or hear that a SSD doesn't benefit a PS3?

There was an article on GS about a yr ago showing the difference of a SSD and HDD on GT5, if you feel like, you can find the article, the difference was huge.

Blicen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Blicen
Member since 2003 • 1810 Posts

The difference was pretty huge depending on the game. A recent title that I've played that has benefited greatly from the use of a SSD for instance was FF14 ARR.

My PS3 has also felt so much more responsive since adding an SSD. PS3 only runs at essentially at SATA 1 speeds and the benefit of an SSD was still extremely noticeable for me. As SSD storage falls in price there is no doubt that it will definitely be an attractive option for upgrade, I know I'll for sure be putting one in my PS4.

Heisenbridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heisenbridge

A SSD will surely be better in performance, no doubt about that.

But I've read if a system isn't optimized for efficient use of a SSD, like a computer does, it just stores the data like on a HDD, as a mess. Which could drastically reduce the lifespan of said SSD.

Can somebody confirm if this is indeed true?

Blicen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Blicen
Member since 2003 • 1810 Posts

@Heisenbridge:

@Heisenbridge said:

A SSD will surely be better in performance, no doubt about that.

But I've read if a system isn't optimized for efficient use of a SSD, like a computer does, it just stores the data like on a HDD, as a mess. Which could drastically reduce the lifespan of said SSD.

Can somebody confirm if this is indeed true?

True, if you're referring to TRIM. But most nearly all SSDs on the market now have gotten extremely good at garbage collection that this is hardly a relevant issue anymore.

Heisenbridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heisenbridge

@Blicen: Thanks for clearing that up!

Tanden_Stoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Tanden_Stoker
Member since 2013 • 55 Posts

Yeh i remember a vid showing the different load times for a dragon age game on the PS3.
They were using an SSHD, so not even an SSD. The load times were 90% faster than on a normal HDD, which imo is quite impressive.

Now i am curious what benefit an SSD will have in a PS4. I want to be prepared for launch day and swap out the HDD but i got no clue as of yet if an SSHD or even an SSD will do any good. Cant find any good reliable intel on that :(

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By trastamad03

@tanden_stoker: The other thing is, I don't know if they confirmed it or not, but will the HDD be as accessible as the PS3 one? (Undo 1 screw and pull the drive out to replace).

NYSea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NYSea

Honestly, my solution to this problem is to just buy a Hybrid... WAY less expensive than an SSD and you don't lose a crazy amount of performance. Easy fix for me, IMO.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 trastamad03

Ugh... Just saw a video (disassembly) that you have no choice but to void the warranty (I'm assuming) in order to get access to the PS4 hard drive. Oh well, I'll just stick with the 500GB that comes with it.

Tanden_Stoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tanden_Stoker
Member since 2013 • 55 Posts

Nono, the acces to the HDD is a seperate one from the acces to the motherboard, fan etc

So no seals have to be broken in order to swap the hdd :D

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By trastamad03

@tanden_stoker: Ah ok. Well I'll wait for PS4 to age a bit, then get one and upgrade it to SSD down the line. Thanks :)

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MonkeyKing1969
Member since 2010 • 66 Posts

Getting a SSD is foolish since to get one of substantive size would be more of an expense than it is worth ...even if all game woudl benefit...which they likely wouldn't. Your best bet is a Solid State Hybrid Drive or what's called an SSHD,it has nearly the speed of access of an SSD...but cost less per MB in storage.

Anyone listening to all these idiots online (like Kotaku) recommending pure SSDs should be shot...why spend $500 on a storage drive when you can do it for $119.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 trastamad03

@MonkeyKing1969: Or get one of those... but I'm still gonna wait for the new consoles to age a bit, then get a PS4 and do the upgrade from the beginning.

Oldgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Oldgun
Member since 2009 • 391 Posts

I actually bought this for my PS4 (once it arrives). I'm sure it'll pack a punch in performance improvement and of course storage