So cool, the PS4 is coming out, so what about the PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

I mean yeah there are a lot of cool features and I am sure the system will be amazing, but what about the PS3? Sony did this last time when they released the PS3 when the PS2 was still a solid system. Now they are going to successfully divide their portion of the gaming industry to people who are PS3 users and people who are PS4 users.

I love PS, but what is the point on getting a PS4 when I have a PS3 with 40+ games? I can't use them on the PS4 because it isn't reverse compatible. Come on Sony, didn't you guys learn last time when you pulled this crap?

MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
I think for the next year or so you will see certain games dual releasing on both PS4/PS3. This conference was all about the PS4. Wait until E3 for news about the PS3/Vita
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Yes no BC and PSN games not transferring will have me holding off on getting a PS4 even longer than I had already planned. No BC and no PSN game transfer=they will have to have a huge library of games before I buy a PS4. I already had no intention of buying until Christmas 2015. I might wait until Christmas 2016 or even 2017 now.
cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
I will be buying a PS4 and keeping my PS3 right beside it for whenever I want to play PS3 games. PS3 will probably become a family oriented console when PS4 drops, movie licence games, wonderbook, and probably copy and paste sports games every year... If your expecting Sony to still develop big titles for PS3 after 2013 then your probably going to be disappointed. It will be flooded with shovelware.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#5 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

They'll be enough good launch titles to warrant a PS4 purchase straight away imo, and besides, once I have the PS4 I probably won't bother with PS3 again anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

The thing that gets me confused is that they mentioned something about being able to stream PSone, PS2 and PS3 games, but it isn't backwards compatible. What? @_@

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

The thing that gets me confused is that they mentioned something about being able to stream PSone, PS2 and PS3 games, but it isn't backwards compatible. What? @_@

Mighty-Lu-Bu

Yeah it's all about the technology in the system, they decided to go with a different processor this time so they ditched PS3's cell.  In loss of losing backwards compatibility they gain a more easier system to develop for, which I think is a huge plus.  No more better version on another console 90% of the time.  The streaming thing is all based off of Gaikai, so no idea really how that will work yet.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

they will most likely keep supporting ps3, even after the ps4 launch. a lot of ppl are not going to buy a ps4 at launch. they did the same thing with ps2. they still supported ps2 well into next gen and im sure they will do that with ps3. i would also agree that i wasn't expecting ps4 to come this soon. i feel like the ps3 has been used to its full potential only by a select few games. and i wouldn't mind this gen to go on a little longer but whatever.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

they will most likely keep supporting ps3, even after the ps4 launch. a lot of ppl are not going to buy a ps4 at launch. they did the same thing with ps2. they still supported ps2 well into next gen and im sure they will do that with ps3. i would also agree that i wasn't expecting ps4 to come this soon. i feel like the ps3 has been used to its full potential only by a select few games. and i wouldn't mind this gen to go on a little longer but whatever.

idunnodude

PS3's full potential is way outdated. 6/7  years is more than a lifetime for computer hardware.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

i dunno i guess it just seemed like ps2 went on for longer but whatever, i dont know jack about hardware.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StrongBlackVine

i dunno i guess it just seemed like ps2 went on for longer but whatever, i dont know jack about hardware.

idunnodude

The generation has actually been longer than the PS2 generation. The PS2 was still supported strongly after the PS3 release, but I count the generation as ending when the company released a new console.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
If it were backward compatible then people might say why should we buy a new PS4?.. it doesn't matter anymore. I'm buying a new PS4 still keeping my PS3, and still have my PS2.
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 StrongBlackVine

If it were backward compatible then people might say why should we buy a new PS4?.. it doesn't matter anymore. I'm buying a new PS4 still keeping my PS3, and still have my PS2.Dogswithguns

I gotta get through my backlog by the Fall because I selling my PS3 on eBay to put towars the PS4. I rarely replay games so it won't be a huge loss to me.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

I guess it's up to fans who currently own a PS3. DON'T get rid of it, don't sell it. I know I'll be keeping mine around. Kind of a pain in the ass, I agree, but still. If you're a die hard fan of PS then you'll be keeping your console around for sure. But even still, I do agree. With all the incredible technology that the PS4 is able to pull off, it's kind of lame for them to eliminate past games. Oh well. 

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
No backwards compatibility is disappointing, but totally expected because of both the architecture change and Sony's own reluctance to re-implement BC for PS2 disc games on CECHG and later models. Streaming old games won't be acceptable to me, however. Last night, Comcast really dropped the ball on reliability, and chances are they won't cover every single PS1, PS2, and PS3 game ever released, likely irking people who are into the more obscure titles. Regardless, I bought that CECHA PS3 with the intent of keeping it around for a good long while. There are way too many PS2 games I passed up the first time around due to not owning that console, along with a fair number of PS3 exclusives worth looking into.
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
I'll will be buying another PS3 and wait for the Slim version of the PS4 or a price drop. I have a MASSIVE backlog of PS3 games that will keep my busy for literally years. Although I am very excited for the PS4. LOL at the people who said we won't be seeing it until 2015/16
BlueVigor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BlueVigor
Member since 2012 • 46 Posts

Well obviously you buy the PS4 because it is a new and improved system. I guess I am the only one who realizes the logic. Not being able to play PSN games from PS3 on the PS4 is plain stupid, but I could careless about it or no BC since I want to play PS4 games on the PS4. The gaming community today is really spoiled and feel that that are entitled to things that they are not. You do not have to buy the console at launch or at all, really who cares? Either way stop complaing.

Quick-Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Quick-Time
Member since 2007 • 610 Posts
PS3 probably has a few more years left. No worries.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

LOL at the people who said we won't be seeing it until 2015/16gmaster456

No kidding. I almost want to go back in my post history just to mock the people who constantly denied it was coming this year. 

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="gmaster456"]LOL at the people who said we won't be seeing it until 2015/16Vari3ty

No kidding. I almost want to go back in my post history just to mock the people who constantly denied it was coming this year. 

Yeah any one with common sense knew it was time.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StrongBlackVine

I'll will be buying another PS3 and wait for the Slim version of the PS4 or a price drop. I have a MASSIVE backlog of PS3 games that will keep my busy for literally years. Although I am very excited for the PS4. LOL at the people who said we won't be seeing it until 2015/16gmaster456

I have about 15 game to get through by PS4 release including a the last few PS3 games I will buy like Tomb Raider, Bioshock, TLOU and Beyond Two Souls. After that PS3 is dead to me...

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
THe PS2 did just fine after PS3. Hell, God of War 2 was on the PS2 a year after the PS3 released.