Recommendations for the PS4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SemiF18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SemiF18
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in for the future Sony system based upon some basic issues that I feel should have been addressed with the PS3. First of all, I'm not a MS Fanboy, I own a PS3 as well as a 360. I also have owned a PS1 and PS2 and currently own a PSP. I'm 37 and have been playing video games since I was a little kid. I'm also a professional Naval Officer so I have a great career and a life other than video games. This is just me giving thoughts on what Sony should have done. First off I think Sony built a good system, but not a great system. I think with future software updates it can become a great system. This is what I think they did wrong, so Sony please make sure you fix this in the PS4.

1. Blue Ray player included with no 720p supprt: It's great to have a Blue Ray player integrated into the PS3, but you have to be kidding me that it doesn't support 720p. That's right, for all of you that thought you were going to be able to play DVDs in glorious Hi Def (yes 720p is considered Hi Def), for those of us that don't own a 1080p capable set, we're screwed (if you don't believe me, put a Blue Ray movie in your 720p set and then select the setting on the tv that shows what mode you are in. When the DVD starts you'll see it switches to 480p). Effectively it's the same DVD player quality as the 360. Right now this is the majority of the public that owns HDTVs. I know I'll upgrade in several years, but for the foreseeable future Blue Ray doesn't do me any good in the DVD department (it has obvious advantages for games since it holds a lot more space, but I never really had an issue with multiple disks for a game so to me it's really not that big of a deal). I'm not sure if this can be fixed with a firmwar update? I have a feeling it can, but I'm not a tech. If it can I hope Sony does it. For those of you with 1080p TVs, good on you, I've read it's a fabulous Blu Ray player. If anybody knows about any way to play DVDs in 720p, please let me know and I'll retract this.

2. What's up with the short recharge/initial sync cord that's included with the system? I had to fork out another 10 bucks to get a 10 foot cord so I can actually play games while the controller recharges. I know 10 bucks isn't much, it's just the principle of it. I've already paid over $600 and you screw me with a short recharge cord. Oh, by the way, it only works with the system on, which to me is just not convenient (I don't want to necessarily leave my precious PS3 on just to recharge the controller). Minor point, but it does bug me.

3. While we're on the subject of controllers, here's another small point. Why do I have to plug a controller in initially to sync it to each new system? I know, I know, it takes 10 seconds, but I directly compare this to the 360 (you never have to touch a cord with their wireless controllers) and that came out a year earlier.

4. This point has been brought up a bunch. You tout the Hi Def revolution doesn't start until the PS3 comes out, but you don't include an HDMI cable. The 360 included component cables in the $399 version. I'm sure it was a cost issue, but don't make a big deal about a feature and then make us purchase another component to actually enable that feature. (I've seen PS3 HDMI cords anywhere from $29.99 - $99.99) I will grant you that, in my opinion, component cables look every bit as good as HDMI on a 720p set and your PS2 cables will work. HDMI for the 1080p folks is the issue. While it's possible to do 1080p with component cables (there is much discussion and dissention on this topic, but if you google the issue you'll find several good articles proving that 1080p works through component video) I was only able to find 2 tvs that support 1080p through component video (they're both Mitsubishis, everything else supports 1080p only through HDMI or DVI).

5. This is purely a comparison to XBOX Live. Put simply the Playstation Network isn't as good the way it is right now. The connectivity to friends just isn't there. I realize it's free and I acknowledge that (for many this is the main counterargument). XBOX Live is only 4 bucks a month (if you buy the annual package) but it's superior in just about every respect. I don't mind paying for a fantastic service and that's what XBOX Live is. I think Sony will continue to release firmware updates (they've done a great job so far) to remedy the problem. A year from now I can see them being very comparible. At that point the Playstation network will look a lot better.

That's it, my personal **** Like I said in the beginning I think it's a good system right now that will become a great system in the future. I give Sony kudos for backwards compatibility particularly (blows away XBOX 360). The only thing the 360 has over it is the fact it plays XBOX games in 720p (which is nice), but the library isn't even close. There are some awesome titles coming out for the PS3.

One last point on this 360/PS3 war. One will sell more units than the other, that's a fact (my personal opinion is the PS3 will probably sell more, but not by much). If that's how you want to define a winner then so be it, but I have a strong conviction that there will be a successor to both systems. Anybody who thinks that either system will somehow "fail" I have to disagree with. They both have great exclusives and I recommend getting both if you have the means. I play them about the same amount and they provide a very similar experience. I'd hate to exclude a great gaming experience just because I have issues with a certain company.

Buy it, love it, and know the PS3 is only going to get better.
Ok, I'm done, peace out!
Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts
Umm... this really seemed more like a rant thread than anything. If you want to ask us or give us recommendations for PS4... come back in 3-5 years.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jwat4
Member since 2003 • 1934 Posts
In regards to the issues with 720p TVs...my Television is a native 720p TV...it displays Blu-Ray movies in 1080i...The issues arise if your TV is 720p only...or 1080i only...then the scaling issues come into play...and that issue as you may have mentioned can be fixed via updates...Also on a side note I dont think it was an expection in regards to upscaling older PS2 games...atleast I didnt expect that... And your #3 issue the controller...its wireless via Bluetooth...thats why you have to register the device...just like a computer...where as the 360 controllers are simply wireless controllers...much like a wireless phone...they run a 2.4Ghz I think...so you dont have to register the device the controller and console communicate via "radio" signal...
GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts
please don't rush my life. i have been waiting so long to get a next gen sstem and now i have it don't rush it. i will enjoy my ps 3 and will not think about ps 4 until 6-7 years from now. lol i will be 37 years old :cry: my son will be driving and my daughter as i sit on the couch with a shotgun think she will be able to date.
mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts
I could careless with the PlayStation4, I am more concerned with the PlayStation3. While I am not doubting Sony's ability to create the PS3 into a spectacular machine, it better start catching up to the competition. I own an Xbox 360, and got my PS3 at launch-- right now the 360 is a superior machine in every category. Although I think in the long-run Sony will eventually come out on top. I just think they need to get there heads out of their @sses and focus on software, stop talking about how powerful it is, or making excuses I think there are several aspects Sony could have done sooner-- such as fixing the resolution issues, multitasking abilities-- but most of it will be addressed with the future update in March.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 eclipsed4utoo
Member since 2006 • 10578 Posts
so what part of that entire post was suggestions/recommendations for the PS4? Are you recommending Sony include a longer USB cable with the PS4?
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts
Whoa, it's like low attention span theater around here, the PS3 just came out a few months ago, we're already talking about the PS4????
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#8 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
Stop with these dumb topics about PS4. We just got the PS3 in november. Be more creative with your topics....
MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

Whoa, it's like low attention span theater around here, the PS3 just came out a few months ago, we're already talking about the PS4????ColoradoKindBud

lol....I couldn't have said it any better myself bro!!!! Let's deal with the ps3 first.

GnR-SLaSh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GnR-SLaSh
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

I think the lyrics from the song - When you were young, by the Killers "We can make it if we take it slow.." are well suited to this situation..

WOAHHH DUDE COME ON THE PS3 WAS RELEASED LIKE 3 MONTHS AGO!?

- - 

MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MERC_RECONN

Stop with these dumb topics about PS4. We just got the PS3 in november. Be more creative with your topics....MusashiSensi

Creative??? Don't mention that word around here, you might get in trouble!!!! lol

What's up Sensi???

Modbetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Modbetto
Member since 2006 • 775 Posts
All of us have to understand that the PS3 isn't out yet....yeah we all got ours in december....but the main launch is in March....PAL is the worldwide standard, Europe(25 countries), Africa, China, India, Malaysia, Middle.east, Indonesia, Thailand, Australasia and south America. We can't criticise a console that doesn't exist yet...Sony had to launch NA and *** in a way to not loose any credibility after a year of postponing....but the ps3 has'nt said anything because there isnt anything to say until march 23rd...That's when next gen will begin....This comes from a 360PS3 user.......
vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 vincent380
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts
Whoa, it's like low attention span theater around here, the PS3 just came out a few months ago, we're already talking about the PS4????ColoradoKindBud
I know right
MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MERC_RECONN

All of us have to understand that the PS3 isn't out yet....yeah we all got ours in december....but the main launch is in March....PAL is the worldwide standard, Europe(25 countries), Africa, China, India, Malaysia, Middle.east, Indonesia, Thailand, Australasia and south America. We can't criticise a console that doesn't exist yet...Sony had to launch NA and *** in a way to not loose any credibility after a year of postponing....but the ps3 has'nt said anything because there isnt anything to say until march 23rd...That's when next gen will begin....This comes from a 360PS3 user.......Modbetto

To heck with the ps3 and 360 BULLCRAP....from one gamer to another....thank for one of the most intelligent post I've seen in a while.

DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
2650p FTW!
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
How 'bout paying off Immersion and getting some rumble in that mutha'?
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 eclipsed4utoo
Member since 2006 • 10578 Posts
2650p FTW!DA_B0MB
4320p FTW!!!
arabi_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 arabi_89
Member since 2006 • 1299 Posts

btw i have a question why do people judge the ps3 before it even makes 1 year. the system is released a few months ago. For All the People who Bash PS3. After the ps3 finishes doing its performances then Judge it. in other words wait until the system is 1 year old then judge it. its not even released in europe. anyway no need to think of a ps4

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

btw i have a question why do people judge the ps3 before it even makes 1 year. the system is released a few months ago. For All the People who Bash PS3. After the ps3 finishes doing its performances then Judge it. in other words wait until the system is 1 year old then judge it. its not even released in europe. anyway no need to think of a ps4

arabi_89
When this site reviews a game that is launched in a broken state, they give it a low score... even if it get's patched in the future. What it can do right out of the box is important.
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#20 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

[QUOTE="MusashiSensi"]Stop with these dumb topics about PS4. We just got the PS3 in november. Be more creative with your topics....MERC_RECONN

Creative??? Don't mention that word around here, you might get in trouble!!!! lol

What's up Sensi???

I'm chillin stealth. How's everything with you?
SemiF18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SemiF18
Sorry to title it PS4 recommendations. It was more of a rant on PS3 issues and a letter to Sony for possible firmware updates. I'm not really thinking of PS4 yet, just put it in for no good reason. Good responses.
SemiF18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SemiF18
Got it, great information.  I retract my rant on lack of hi def capability in Blu Ray for a non 1080p capable tv.  If it plays it in 1080i, which is Hi Def, then no problem.  My controller issue was more of a "Why did you pick bluetooth" issue.  One thing I didn't mention was the issue of random controller disconnects, which has happened to me before.  
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

That's all these stupid kids have been doing lately..
RENE2315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RENE2315
Member since 2006 • 1038 Posts
are you saying that ps3 is going to fail