"Your mom hates this"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts

Has anyone seen the new PS3 / Dead Space 2 commercial with "Your mom hates this"? This commercial really rubbed me the wrong way. I think it is a very nice overview of the current state of game development.

I would venture a conservative guess that 40-50% of gamers are over 18, and 60-70% of those over 18 most likely do not live with their mothers. Why are they finding it necessary to advertise on the merits of, "mommy won't like this,so you should buy it"? Even for the people that do live at home, "my mom hates this" stopped becoming a tool for buying things after about 9th grade when you wanted the new Limp Bizkit CD.

I'm not really sure if there is a thesis to this post, but it is something that I saw and it really rubbed me the wrong way. There are just as many older gamers as there are mommy-dependant gamers. Why does it always seem that games and their advertising are child oriented?

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
It's because we can relate, most of us have at one point or another have made our mum watch something that we know she'll hate because the reaction is always amusing. It's also funny because my mum would hate it, although she lives hundreds of miles away from me I can still imagine her reaction. It's just an ad though, there's no need to think so deeply.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

It's an advertising gimmick - not 1/10th as bad as a lot of the horrible advertisements on TV that have me grabbing the remote to mute them ASAP. I would have preferred and ad that showed the gameplay, but few ad's these days show the product at all. I give it a big "whatever". :)

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
i find it some what brilliant of the audience they are aiming for
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
I'm pretty indifferent to that sort of commercial. Was it effective though? I don't think so. I thought it was a particularly poorly done commercial. If you ask me, people don't buy games just because their parents don't like it. Besides that, the commercial feels like it's targeted towards children. I can't imagine a 18 year old with the mindset that if his parents don't like the content of a game then it must be good. That kind of psychology would only work on children who are in their little rebel-against-authority phase.
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

It's "You're mom hates Dead Space 2" and I've seen it.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

My mom is staying at my house and I was playing the DS2 demo and she couldn't stand to watch it. I'm like "It's just a game and it's fake and not real". She's like ooh it's terrible. Me and my 12 year old nephew have no problem with survival horror, but all the woman are weak.

Avatar image for DangerHiVoltage
DangerHiVoltage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DangerHiVoltage
Member since 2009 • 1157 Posts
i agree with you op. why are they marketing an M rated game to little kids? its also a little offensive to assume every kid has a mother or lives with their mother. its almost as bad as nintendo when they marketed the SNES and ended their commercials with "your parents will set it up!" that commercial really bothered me as a kid cause i really wanted a snes so bad but the stupid commercial kept reminding me that im not fortunate enough to have my parents with me.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

My mom is staying at my house and I was playing the DS2 demo and she couldn't stand to watch it. I'm like "It's just a game and it's fake and not real". She's like ooh it's terrible. Me and my 12 year old nephew have no problem with survival horror, but all the woman are weak.

clr84651

lol, Wow.

GamerChick2083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GamerChick2083
Member since 2010 • 481 Posts

I know my mom would HATE Dead Space 2, but she wouldn't really be able to stop me from buying the game because I'm over 18 and out of the house. When I was living with my parents and I wanted to play the more violent stuff, I'd make sure she was at least out of the room. Commercial didn't really rub me the wrong way, I thought it was kind of funny. Especially the mom that "medium disapproves" of Dead Space 2.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
but all the woman are weak.clr84651
How rude!
Zelda1118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zelda1118
Member since 2008 • 321 Posts

clr84651

So you're saying that your mom is weak or your girlfriend, if you even have one, is weak? I am a woman and I AM NOT WEAK!

rattleheadxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rattleheadxyz
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

It's just like that popular online video clip "2 G----, 1 C--.", the reaction videos on YouTube, etc are what sells the site and gets people to visit it.

newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 newhighscore
Member since 2008 • 2037 Posts

who cares. the "snuggie" commercials drive me apesh!t too, i mean its called a f#cking blanket people! but i digress, this is still not enough to get me on a soapbox or forum bout it. sounds more like your delicate sensibilities were offended, rather than "mommies."

Bassmanfunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Bassmanfunk
Member since 2010 • 124 Posts
The commercial rubbed me the wrong way too. It just seems like ham handed blatant way to try to get certain people to buy something. Wait thats all advertising and marketing. Yes, it all usually rubs me the wrong way. It's usually very lowbrow and it insults our intellegence. I would like to think it does not work on most of us. It might work on us though, myself included.
Amir29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 Amir29
Member since 2007 • 822 Posts
I don't see an issue. There are several 17+ aged gamers out there that still live with their mothers. Also, the ESRB rating is to inform parents and for retailers to enforce. This doesn't mean that parents won't authorize purchase of the game for their under aged children. If you ask me, some of you are reading into this way too much.
dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts
Because then all the 12 year olds thinking they're rebellious and cool because they play M games (mostly COD) will see it and think it would make them "cool" if they bought something their mothers wouldn't like. It sounds stupid, but sadly it's true.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

They were paid actors...

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts

What the ape said.

On another note, I always wondered why American game commercials always try to be funny dragging down the game into ridiculousity. I mean, Dead Space is a horror game, shouldn't the commercial be scary then?

jnjreams76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jnjreams76
Member since 2008 • 770 Posts
As I can't remember another thread discussing a video game commercial (other than Kevin Butler), and based on the number of replies to the thread, I'd say the commercial was quite successfull. It would appear that for some hardcore gamers, some of you all are overly sensitive to a tv ad.
rattleheadxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rattleheadxyz
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

As I can't remember another thread discussing a video game commercial (other than Kevin Butler), and based on the number of replies to the thread, I'd say the commercial was quite successfull. It would appear that for some hardcore gamers, some of you all are overly sensitive to a tv ad. jnjreams76

He's right ya know. All the ad needed to do to be successful was to get people talking about it. And here we are, a bunch of gamers up in arms over a TV commercial. We played right into their trap.