PSX - FF7 remake/ why not crash bandicoot too?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vpacalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 vpacalypse
Member since 2005 • 589 Posts

I thought psx was a success. Pulled a conference together out of nowhere... Great show, maybe 8/10.

The most popular games (in terms of youtube views) were uncharted 4 and FF7 remake.

The difference between them is that one is now praised & the other hated.

My point is ... the demand is massive for a proper FF7 remake... I think higher than whichever Final Fantasy they're working on next.

I get they would basically have to code from scratch ... take a long time ... cost millions ... & risk losing the "magic" of the original when they update everything etc. But surely it's totally worth it for this title in terms of potential sales + goodwill.

& carrying on from the nostalgia theme... why not a crash bandicoot remake. The revival of playstations mascot would be a show stopper. Not give the task to naughty dog, but another studio any.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Final Fantasy 7 isn't even the best Final Fantasy, there doesn't need to be resources put towards it, having the PC version is good enough.

Crash? Ehhh. The games back then were passable and have aged terribly, if you're going to bring him back just to be the lead in another sort of game there's not much point. Unless you find him a Spyro type vehicle that he can be in but those are few and far between. Spyro is the exception to the rule to what happens with old and outdated mascots who have games that aged poorly.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Final Fantasy 7 isn't even the best Final Fantasy, there doesn't need to be resources put towards it, having the PC version is good enough.

Crash? Ehhh. The games back then were passable and have aged terribly, if you're going to bring him back just to be the lead in another sort of game there's not much point. Unless you find him a Spyro type vehicle that he can be in but those are few and far between. Spyro is the exception to the rule to what happens with old and outdated mascots who have games that aged poorly.

Not being the best is very subjective, its certainly the most popular Final Fantasy though making it prime candidate for a full remake.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

FF7 trailer looks hilarious. Who could play that with a straight face? I think it's Nintendo's way of laughing at all the people who constantly demand a remake of a game they will hate if they get to play it again because everything has moved on so much. FFX the 'new' graphics look terrible I wish people would stop encouraging companies to polish a turd and just move on. Instead of asking for remakes ask for FFXV to be a definitive entry in a much loved game series. Ask for more from new games stop fucking whining about bringing back old games which people will hate and yes that includes you.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@thehig1 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Not being the best is very subjective, its certainly the most popular Final Fantasy though making it prime candidate for a full remake.

You make a very good point about best.

The whole thing is that the story isn't well put together compared to later games and the mechanics are rough.

The reason that the game is so popular is that it was the Final Fantasy game that was new when the huge influx of PS players were on the console. I don't see the game being remade into anything better than it's original product. The story can't be fixed and the problems with the overall mechanics can't be fixed unless you totally change the game. Part of the difficulty of the original game is because of the mechanics, if those are fixed the game is kind of a cakewalk, you could make the game more difficult by raising everyone's hit points but then you're getting into a grindfest only to take away bad guys with huge HP stacks.

I think SE knows that if you remake FF7 you break it, and if you're going to put that time and effort into making a different game then is it really worth it?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@vpacalypse said:

I thought psx was a success. Pulled a conference together out of nowhere... Great show, maybe 8/10.

The most popular games (in terms of youtube views) were uncharted 4 and FF7 remake.

The difference between them is that one is now praised & the other hated.

My point is ... the demand is massive for a proper FF7 remake... I think higher than whichever Final Fantasy they're working on next.

I get they would basically have to code from scratch ... take a long time ... cost millions ... & risk losing the "magic" of the original when they update everything etc. But surely it's totally worth it for this title in terms of potential sales + goodwill.

& carrying on from the nostalgia theme... why not a crash bandicoot remake. The revival of playstations mascot would be a show stopper. Not give the task to naughty dog, but another studio any.

Because Activision.

It's a shame that IP is stuck in limbo considering Naughty Dog developed all the Crash PS1 titles.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Because Activision.

It's a shame that IP is stuck in limbo considering Naughty Dog developed all the Crash PS1 titles.

Nope ND didn't develop all PS1 Crash titles, you forgot Crash Bash, made by Eurocom and Cerny Games.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SolidTy

@GTR12 said:

@SolidTy said:

Because Activision.

Nope ND didn't develop all PS1 Crash titles, you forgot Crash Bash, made by Eurocom and Cerny Games.

You are right, I did forget that abomination (68/100) released at the time when ND was underway making Jak.

Self-Correction: ND developed all the critically acclaimed first four Crash titles.

Thanks for posting that look back at memory lane.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GTR12

@SolidTy:

Personally I loved Crash Bash, it was awesome playing with a multi-tap and 3 friends, loved CTR to that extent as well.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidTy
@GTR12 said:

@SolidTy:

Personally I loved Crash Bash, it was awesome playing with a multi-tap and 3 friends, loved CTR to that extent as well.

It's funny, I also had a multitap, but my lady and our couple friends didn't like the Bash game (68/100) , unlike ND's CTR which they loved (a very high 88/100).

To be fair, I don't like any party games like the Mario Party games or of course Crash Bash. I remember hating some Ice level, some jumping around level, although the ball levels were okay. I didn't hate it, but it just didn't hold a candle to other mp games at the time we liked (Puzzle Fighter, SFAlpha 3, MvC, CTR, Medal of Honor, Twisted Metal 1/2, Command and Conquer, WWF/WWE games, etc).

It's good you enjoyed it though, those were fun days back then. If I remember right, I was excited as the PS2 was about to release.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GTR12

@SolidTy said:
@GTR12 said:

@SolidTy:

It's funny, I also had a multitap, but my lady and our couple friends didn't like the Bash game (68/100) , unlike ND's CTR which they loved (a very high 88/100).

To be fair, I don't like any party games like the Mario Party games or of course Crash Bash. I remember hating some Ice level, some jumping around level, although the ball levels were okay. I didn't hate it, but it just didn't hold a candle to other mp games at the time we liked (Puzzle Fighter, SFAlpha 3, MvC, CTR, Medal of Honor, Twisted Metal 1/2, Command and Conquer, WWF/WWE games, etc).

It's good you enjoyed it though, those were fun days back then. If I remember right, I was excited as the PS2 was about to release.

Well I was only 9 when we got a PSOne in 97 and I wasn't old enough to play most of those other games (yes my parents actually followed game restrictions), so I really cant comment on the others, I did play the others when I was 15 and up, but I preferred playing outside at that age so I don't remember.

I remember exactly what ice level you are talking about lol.

vpacalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 vpacalypse
Member since 2005 • 589 Posts

So why don't the people at Sony go to activision & request the sale or or at the very least look to work alongside them creating another crash title for the platform.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

It's not a remake. It's a port.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thehig1

@Jaysonguy said:

@thehig1 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

You make a very good point about best.

The whole thing is that the story isn't well put together compared to later games and the mechanics are rough.

The reason that the game is so popular is that it was the Final Fantasy game that was new when the huge influx of PS players were on the console. I don't see the game being remade into anything better than it's original product. The story can't be fixed and the problems with the overall mechanics can't be fixed unless you totally change the game. Part of the difficulty of the original game is because of the mechanics, if those are fixed the game is kind of a cakewalk, you could make the game more difficult by raising everyone's hit points but then you're getting into a grindfest only to take away bad guys with huge HP stacks.

I think SE knows that if you remake FF7 you break it, and if you're going to put that time and effort into making a different game then is it really worth it?

Your right, a remade Final Fantasy would have those issues, and people could be disappointed. From Squares point of view its worth it because remaking Final Fantasy VII would likely be there biggest selling game in a long time.

A Final Fantasy VII would outsell what previous Final Fantasy efforts have done (XII and its sequels, XII, maybe even more than X)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidTy

@GTR12 said:

@SolidTy said:
@GTR12 said:

@SolidTy:

Well I was only 9 when we got a PSOne in 97 and I wasn't old enough to play most of those other games (yes my parents actually followed game restrictions), so I really cant comment on the others, I did play the others when I was 15 and up, but I preferred playing outside at that age so I don't remember.

I remember exactly what ice level you are talking about lol.

Oh I see there is an age gap, haha.I guess if you didn't play those others, you just play what you are given.

Yeah, that ice level was no bueno for me! lol.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thehig1

@mdk12345 said:

Crash was the best platformer on PS1

I preferred Spyro, Gex and Klonoa over crash.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thehig1

@mdk12345 said:

@thehig1 said:

@mdk12345 said:

Crash was the best platformer on PS1

I preferred Spyro, Gex and Klonoa over crash.

Klonoa possibly but not Spyro or Gex 2. Gex 2 and Spyro are open worlds.

whats wrong with that