PSP2000 WiFi Security Not Supported?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Why am i having problems now, suddenly? I cannot connect, and I cannot shop digital comics on my Media Go (or am I not seeing that part of PSN)? What a drag, I was in the mood for some DC entertainment, and some old-school "Invaders"...

... What do I need to set the router for in order to get my PSP back online? What's changed about WLAN settings for the PSP2000?

:?

Thanks!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Some info about your current setup would be useful. What type of wifi security are you using? Are you getting an error message? Do you see the SSID of your router?

-Byshop

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonkeySpot

My router has always been set for WEP security, my PSP sees the router, it just says "Security Not Supported" and the router is greyed out when highlighted.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Byshop  Moderator

What model router is it? WEP should be supported but you can get this error message also if your router is broadcasting a "G" network and not a "B" network. It needs to run in mixed mode.

-Byshop

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
Make sure your router's firmware is up-to-date as well. Also, are you sure it's WEP and not WEP-PSK?
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#6 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
You probably shouldn't be using WEP in the first place. My dad's cracked several neighbor's router passwords effortlessly in the past. We pay for our own internet now, luckily, but I've witnessed how extremely easy it is to crack if you know how. I know it's not helpful, but it's just something you should be aware of. WEP is fairly worthless against Linux and a set of free cracking tools.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonkeySpot

You probably shouldn't be using WEP in the first place. My dad's cracked several neighbor's router passwords effortlessly in the past. We pay for our own internet now, luckily, but I've witnessed how extremely easy it is to crack if you know how. I know it's not helpful, but it's just something you should be aware of. WEP is fairly worthless against Linux and a set of free cracking tools.Granpire

I live on a farm and the next-closest neighbor is about at least a half-mile away... We don't have trouble with people attempting to ride our Internet...

:P

I will go into my settings on the router and look it over again, but for the life of me I cannot figure this one out... And I'm not a tech-dunce, I've been doin' this stuff for a long time. Perhaps I just brain-farted over the obvious. That's often the case.

:lol:

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Byshop  Moderator

I live on a farm and the next-closest neighbor is about at least a half-mile away... We don't have trouble with people attempting to ride our Internet...

I will go into my settings on the router and look it over again, but for the life of me I cannot figure this one out... And I'm not a tech-dunce, I've been doin' this stuff for a long time. Perhaps I just brain-farted over the obvious. That's often the case.

MonkeySpot

Again, what model router do you have and what mode (A,B,G) is it running in?

-Byshop

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#9 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts

MonkeySpot
Ah, in that case, never mind. :P Maybe try taking off security completely? That's what I've always done in the past, where I've lived in more rural areas.