This topic is locked from further discussion.

rarsi123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rarsi123
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts
I was wandering what everyone thought about what PSP2 will/should have. I personally think Sony will go down one of two routes:

(i) At the moment, Sony is getting beaten by DS in hardware, and slaughtered in software. I think the promary reasons for this is the PSP is a little pricey. Noting the success the DS has had, Sony will try to extend the life of the PSP to around 2013-2014 instead of 2010-2011. They would do this by bringing out a re-design like ps2 slim (and possibly add a second analog stick).  It would be viewed more as a successor than a redesign, so that gamers dont lose interest in 2010 onwards, but new games would still be playable on PSP1. To make it appear as a successor, the new system will possibly have a harddrive and a second analogue stick. The purpose of this would be to massively reduce the price of the hardware, aswell as making the system cheaper to develop for, and hence cheaper games. Secondly, the redesign will reinvogorate interest in the sysem.

(ii) The second option  will be to create a genuine successor to PSP, with completely new hardware/cpu/gpu, etc.  They probably will decide not to massively advance the hardware, noting that the less technologically capable ds is selling very well. This will mean a slightly cheaper system than the original and will probably debut at $199. Games should be cheaper to develop than present also. A hard drive will not replace the UMD. They will retain UMD for backwards compatability. The reason for not replacing the umd with a harddrive is that they could easily incorporate 8-16 GB flash memory on board without taking up a lot of space. In addition, 8-16GB memory cards will be in plentiful supply, so the average user should easily have 20GB of free space. (32GB memory cards will possibly also be available by then). There will possibly be the option of purchasing games online aswell instead of being forced to purchase the umd version. Playing the most popular ps2 games will also be possible. This version will most likely arrive 2010-2012.

What do you think?
rarsi123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rarsi123
??????
nexusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nexusprime
Member since 2004 • 877 Posts

Sorry but talk of the psp2 has grown old, repetitive and uninteresting....thats why no one cares to respond "?

gamer1049

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gamer1049
Member since 2006 • 566 Posts

i dont think there is gonna BE A PSP2

Prestin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Prestin9
Member since 2007 • 1101 Posts
its gonna have a built in camera, thats all i know
sal_stinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sal_stinger
Member since 2004 • 778 Posts
and larger umds...
blackIceJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 blackIceJoe
Member since 2005 • 3347 Posts

I really do not think Sony needs to make a PSP2 any day soon. The time I would see it come out if there is going to be one would be in 2010. That being 5 years after the PSP came out.

So the reason I think the PSP is not selling well is because of the price. If Sony was to make the PSP sell for 100 the core and 150 Premium version the PSP would sell out quickly.

I do not see why Sony is being dumb. If the price was that low. They would be selling lots of PSP's. Yes Sony would lose even more money on the PSP. But seeing as it is so low they would get new people to buy the PSP and then make some nice cash.

814StopsToday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 814StopsToday
Member since 2007 • 1390 Posts

I was wandering what everyone thought about what PSP2 will/should have. I personally think Sony will go down one of two routes:...

What do you think?
rarsi123

You irritate me

payforaday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 payforaday
Member since 2006 • 865 Posts

It seems all you care about are sales. I personally couldn't care less because the PSP is getting a steady stream of great games while the DS gets some good and great games every now and again. And yet they say it has better games when it is only selling more (the largest contributing factor being the DS lite remake). So, if they want more sales then they can just redesign it. But personally, as long as it gets as many great games as its getting now, it doesnt matter at all.

rarsi123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rarsi123
I care about sales because im worried it might lose developer support due to low software sales...actually im not that worried, im certain it will have a price drop THIS year, but i think it also needs a drop in software price. My main focus is just to shut up those damn DS fanboys. BTW, there is not a chance of a new PSP coming out before 2010.
payforaday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 payforaday
Member since 2006 • 865 Posts
I hate DS fanboys just as much as any other PSP owner does. But I dont worry about them because I know the PSP has better games and more (and better) third party support despite selling less. And you can tell with Ratchet&Clank and The Warriors just released and a portable God of War recently announced.
xxtechn9ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xxtechn9ne
Member since 2006 • 169 Posts
how would games for a "psp2" with 2 analog nubs work with the OG psp...
rarsi123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rarsi123
how would games for a "psp2" with 2 analog nubs work with the OG psp...xxtechn9ne
games could provide an alternative contorl scheme for psps without second analogue stick
volcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 volcus
Member since 2006 • 311 Posts
The ds has a rumble expansion add-on so i thought what if the psp2 had tilt and/or rumble feature in it? To me I kind see it as a controller with a screen on it so implementing some of the ps3 controller elements could be interesting. Obviously larger storage umds should be made but i think they should still use umds so they can have bc with psp1 games. I also think having two analog sticks is a must! 
mikeman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mikeman10
Member since 2005 • 1977 Posts
and a cup holder
Reldas89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Reldas89
Member since 2006 • 842 Posts
its gunna have airbags and shock absorbers, and plus you need to pass a psp2 test to play it and you cant have any alcohol for the period of the 1 year probation
sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sam890
Member since 2005 • 1119 Posts
Im starting to get really tried of seeing these psp2 treads
nevereathim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 nevereathim
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts
Im starting to get really tried of seeing these psp2 treadssam890
Agreed, GOD PEOPLE MAKE PSP3 THREADS
sparkyroadkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sparkyroadkill
Member since 2005 • 137 Posts
and a cup holdermikeman10
Yeah it could do with an ashtray aswell!
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts
Theres definitely going to be a PSP2..Sony wouldn't abandon the type of marketshare they've gotten with the PSP. Regarding improvements though..lets see: 1) 2 analog sticks of course, everybody wants this even if it isn't used much for the game types you play it can be useful. 2) Higher density battery, the current one is okay for most titles, but with people used to 15 hour NAND-based MP3 players, it isn't good enough. 3) Either higher-capacity UMDs or a faster UMD drive..the current one is workable, but not particularly great. 4) Ditch the shiny finish, it looks nice but attracts dust like a shark to blood.
kiruyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 kiruyama
Member since 2006 • 1205 Posts
If they're going to make a completely new PSP, I hope if they do add a second analogue stick, they make the thing easier to grip. The original is so annoying with its speaker-like texture and isn't grippable with sweaty fingers. However, There is no real reason to release a new PSP, unless it was a simple redesign, which I don't see why the PSP would need one in the first place. Unless they make switching out faceplates easier, and NOT void your warranty, then that'd be pretty cool.
gnarlychar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gnarlychar
Member since 2004 • 3838 Posts
They need to lower the price, and make it more portable. What I mean by this is, The battery life sucks (mine only lasts 5 hours :( ) The speakers don't go low enough for playing at night, the UMD drive is noisy and slow (meaning longer load times. Long load times = not good for a portable) and the nub is in a crappy place and not comfortable at all. A hard drive (even just 512MB) would be a great addition too, since mem. sticks are so expensive.

All of this can easily be fixed with a DSlite type of remake.

(had a bunch of text here but thanks to glitchspot it dissapeared)