PS4 Harddrive upgrade to 1TB will void my warranty? question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

This is something i should somehow get Sony to answer

but i thought my fellow gamespotters could answer this

my ps4 should arrive sometime before the december holidays, before i boot it up i want to swap out the current 500GB HDD with a 1Terabyte HDD

will this voids my warranty? i am worried due to news surfacing regarding faulty ps4 hardwares, i don't want to spend too much on a harddrive only to realise nothing works and Sony will not replace my ps4

in all honestly 500GB is NOTHING, 1 Terabyte should have been the minimum especially with this generation and how long the ps4 is meant to last

please someone help me here thanks ^^

(NOTE I LIVE IN THE UK)

Tanden_Stoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Tanden_Stoker
Member since 2013 • 55 Posts

Nope, this will not void your warranty :)

Enjoy your PS4 :D

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GrayF0X786

@tanden_stoker said:

where is your proof of this if you don't mind showing

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Well first off theres an official FAQ by Sony saying that you can change the harddrive, not to mention they've said you can many times before.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Secondly, you'd need to actually tear off a seal that says this will void the warranty to actually be able to do it in the first place, and you wont find this seal covering the harddrive slot. You'll only ever find this the void warranty seal when trying to fully open up the console to get to it's motherboard. It's probably covering one of the main screws at the bottom of the case. Just like it was on the PS3.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Ring Sony mate and get a confirmation just to be on the safe side.

Tanden_Stoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tanden_Stoker

@GrayF0X786 said:

@tanden_stoker said:

where is your proof of this if you don't mind showing

@Crossel777 said:

Well first off theres an official FAQ by Sony saying that you can change the harddrive, not to mention they've said you can many times before.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Secondly, you'd need to actually tear off a seal that says this will void the warranty to actually be able to do it in the first place, and you wont find this seal covering the harddrive slot. You'll only ever find this the void warranty seal when trying to fully open up the console to get to it's motherboard. It's probably covering one of the main screws at the bottom of the case. Just like it was on the PS3.

What he said. Its in the Ultimate FAQ.

And the place where the HDD is stored has a seperate special entrance specifiacly to swap out the HDD.

The other side of the ps4 has to be screwed open to acces, thats where you will find 2 seals, if you break these your warranty is gone, since this side of the ps4 gives acces to the motherboard.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GrayF0X786

i will contact Sony to get a a definite answer.

Ivora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ivora
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts

You just slide off the glossy part and unscrew 1 screw and the hdd comes right out without ever breaking any warranty seals.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

@Ivora said:

You just slide off the glossy part and unscrew 1 screw and the hdd comes right out without ever breaking any warranty seals.

^This. You're not opening the PS4 up to get to the hard drive, and there isn't a warranty seal in sight.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

Aint worth the the trouble for 1tb either.. need atleast 2tb. Do they have 2.5 7200rpm 2tb hdds? Im looking for one on newegg and amazon but cant find one. Thought I seen one the other day

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@GrayF0X786: If you're gonna not listen to anyone's advice on here, then why make a topic? cos you're too lazy to read.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-hard-drive-is-replaceable-but-doing-so-will-void-your-warranty/1100-6416316/

Yeah read that, it clearly says "Swapping PS4's HDD will NOT void the warranty" but since your too lazy to read, call Sony up and be told the same thing.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

No. They encourage it. Every game website said you can. The FAQs show you how to replace it on their official site. Officials have come out and said it. You were able to do it for PS3. When I had mine repaired they said to take it out if it wasn't theirs originally. You aren't breaking any seals to replace it. It's like sliding in a genesis cartridge that you screw in.

No need to be paranoid. This is one of the main features that people buy Playstation for.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

PS4 = you can replace a HDD and it wont void the warranty.

Xbox one = replacing a HDD will VOID the warranty.

Facts!

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

Why bother even creating this thread if you're not going to listen to the people that reply to it?

The removable HDD is one of the features they're pushing for the PS4. They're not going to push something that voids the warranty.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Doom_HellKnight: Cos TC thinks he knows everything and doesn't bother reading anything.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GrayF0X786

@Doom_HellKnight said:

Why bother even creating this thread if you're not going to listen to the people that reply to it?

The removable HDD is one of the features they're pushing for the PS4. They're not going to push something that voids the warranty.

sorry i should have thanked others for their response, i did read their comments and took them into consideration especially this, i have not contacted sony yet but i will take you gamespotters word for it.

i plan on getting a 1TB HDD for the ps4 on day 1 :)

Tanden_Stoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Tanden_Stoker

why not go for a 1.5tb? Only costs a fraction more and gives a solid 500gb more over the 1tb hdd :o