PS3 Blinking Red Light of Death

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Alright, I recently got the PS3 blinking red light of death and was hoping someone could help me out a bit. I already called Sony and am saving up the cash for the repair/replacement of my bricked PS3, and had a few questions for anyone who had experienced the same thing. Also, I've tried everything I could from removing the hard drive to leaving it untouched and cleaning out the dust. My questions pertain to this specific problem, where the PS3 is green, then yellow, green a bit more, than blinking red and three beeps. No I cnnot even reach the debug.

1) Is there any way to get a good deal, or anyway to get it fixed other than sending it to Sony?

2) Will the data on my hard drive be erased, if so how do I transfer the data out, since I can't do it from my PS3.

3) How long does it take for the repairs to finish?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I've never heard of this problem before.
seannn199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 seannn199
Member since 2008 • 1137 Posts
pay 150$ for repairs. oh and you could always transfer the data using an external hd or usb drive to abck everything up, or just take the hd out nd see if they notice lol
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts
I've never heard of this problem before.siLVURcross
Same here. I've heard about the Yellow Light of Death, but never anything like this. :( Sorry but I can't help.
Fir17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fir17
Member since 2005 • 34 Posts
yellow light of death = blinking red light of death.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SPYDER0416
No, I've heard of the yellow light of death, when you get that you can reach your debug and do anything you have to (like format and transfer data). Blinking red light only happens to like 2% of PS3 owners or something and cannot be fixed any other way (if you can call it getting fixed, its most likely a replacement). Btw, a friend said they sent a replacement PS3 to play on during repairs, is this true?
Hot-Tamale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Hot-Tamale
Member since 2009 • 2052 Posts
Are these PS3 hardware problems getting worse? I just ordered a PS3 as my first 'next-gen' console mostly because the 360 has such bad hardware. Are these ps3 hardware malfunctions getting more prevalent?
Myzz617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Myzz617
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts
Are these PS3 hardware problems getting worse? I just ordered a PS3 as my first 'next-gen' console mostly because the 360 has such bad hardware. Are these ps3 hardware malfunctions getting more prevalent?Hot-Tamale
My PS3 60gb launch stopped reading PS3 games all else works fine. So i bought a new one and will get old one repaired eventually. After two years of wear and tear i just think they break down, but they are no where as nearly as bad as the 360 issues.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SPYDER0416
Yeah, 360 has pretty high failure rates, whichis why you hear about it so much. PS3's is so reare you may not even get any, Wii is still the most trustworthy console though, hardware and warranty wise of course.
jnco_curto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jnco_curto
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

Just got mine back from being repaired because of this problem. Its a hardware problem and mine ended up needing a motherboard replacement and I got mine back with a reformatted hard drive but I already switched out my 500gb hdd with the stock 60gb so that didnt bother me. Luckily I got my ps3 at Target and bought their 3 year warranty for $30 and plan on extending the the warranty for another 3 years after it expires, cant beat $30 dollars for 3yrs. Not sure what sony will do but they will probly reformat your hdd,you should call and ask if they really need to reformatt your hdd. If so you could buy a cheap external enclosure for the hdd and plug it in your computer to copy all the files or buy a replacement hdd rather it be a cheap 20gb maybe $10-$20 or go for a 500gb about $120 and put that one in before you send it in. Thats my opinion anyways if keeping your files are that important. Curious which ps3 system do you have and how long have you had it? Seems like the 60gb ps3 are dieing after a couple years. My 60gb died after a year and 3 months but I have it on almost 15 hrs a day rather Im playing it or family or watching movies on it off my 120gb externall hdd so I really put it to use.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
I love it when people come up with names for hardware errors. If it was the blinking light of badness we could call it BLOB!
Avatar image for untouchables111
untouchables111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 untouchables111
Member since 2005 • 1650 Posts
if you ask me it seems like at least once a week there is one of these post of a death light. i say BS and you people must be really dumb..... i would guess that you have ur system in a closet while you play and the system just burnt out cause it was just to hot...
Jayvan_JJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jayvan_JJ
Member since 2006 • 1044 Posts
yellow light of death = blinking red light of death.Fir17
ISN'T IT the yellow light of doom?
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SPYDER0416

if you ask me it seems like at least once a week there is one of these post of a death light. i say BS and you people must be really dumb..... i would guess that you have ur system in a closet while you play and the system just burnt out cause it was just to hot... untouchables111

Wow, really? I love my PS3 and take great care of it, so you should go somewhere else with your accusations and don't be troll please.

Yeah, my files do matter quite a bit, so I think I'll head over to Best Buy or whatever and get something to transfer my data, and teh Yellow light of death is different as I said before.

thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 thekey
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts
Are these PS3 hardware problems getting worse? I just ordered a PS3 as my first 'next-gen' console mostly because the 360 has such bad hardware. Are these ps3 hardware malfunctions getting more prevalent?Hot-Tamale
I had the blinking blue light of death.(Tekken 5 wouldn't eject from it so they replaced my 60GB PS3 free) It was under warrentee)
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#17 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts
What sku do you have?
thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 thekey
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts
What sku do you have?one_on_one
I half to look on the back of the unit but it's a 60GB 1st gen PS3.
TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

It should be the blinking/beeping light of death

Yellow?? This happened to me 2 months ago and when it does you barley see a yellow light, it blinks once for a second.

I think your saves are gone unless you can somehow hook up the hardrive to another if its not shot

Once you get in touch with Sony and pay the 160 or so, they send you a box within a week and then you get a brand new one back or a refurbished model I guess depending on your system type within another week.

After my system went, it took about 2 weeks to get 1 back.

Funny enough, up the road for me is a store that fixes 360's while you wait there playing games in the lobby. The lines are always long

When I dropped my ps3 off at the UPS store, the employee said it was his first ps3 he was shipping but gets x-boxes atleast 2x a week

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
[QUOTE="Hot-Tamale"]Are these PS3 hardware problems getting worse? I just ordered a PS3 as my first 'next-gen' console mostly because the 360 has such bad hardware. Are these ps3 hardware malfunctions getting more prevalent?Myzz617
My PS3 60gb launch stopped reading PS3 games all else works fine. So i bought a new one and will get old one repaired eventually. After two years of wear and tear i just think they break down, but they are no where as nearly as bad as the 360 issues.

no it isn't 360 was 30% failure rate with 80% of first generation....i've heard only about 100's of cases....considering 20 million instal base....that is pretty good. its like plane crashes...they may be scary....but its the safest way to travel. there are more car accidents than plane crashes
the_new_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_new_neo
Member since 2006 • 1030 Posts

First off the yellow light 'of death' happens to less than 1% of ps3 owners and I've never even heard of this problem. Sorry for posting when I have no idea how to help but I wanted to clear that up :)

Haze-and-Ses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Haze-and-Ses
Member since 2006 • 224 Posts

First off the yellow light 'of death' happens to less than 1% of ps3 owners and I've never even heard of this problem. Sorry for posting when I have no idea how to help but I wanted to clear that up :)

the_new_neo
how would you know how much percent? ps3 has alot of problems too, maybe not in comparison to 360 but its still bad theres so many problems ( blinking lights, ps3 not reading discs .. ) along with a crappy warranty
dag01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dag01
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hi Phone up sony uk help line 08705 998877 the will sort out your problem
MDStylin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MDStylin
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts
if you ask me it seems like at least once a week there is one of these post of a death light. i say BS and you people must be really dumb..... i would guess that you have ur system in a closet while you play and the system just burnt out cause it was just to hot... untouchables111
I don't know about calling you guys DUMB, but ole boy hit up on something I've heard from other owners--your PS3 MUST be in a heavily ventilated area so it can "breathe", or else it will overheat. I've had my 40gb (yes, I said 40gb, the baby of the series) for over two years now, and the only thing I've experienced is the occasional freezed screen. Other than that, my PS3 plays fine. I've played movies, downloaded files and everything. I only keep files for games I currently own; if I trade a game in, I naturally erase the file for it. I've never experienced the dreaded "red light of death", honestly I thought that was only an X-Box problem. At any rate, good luck, Homies...
mom4bsb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mom4bsb
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
go to www.psr1.com that compnay will fix your PS3 for a flat rate of $99 - includes shipping!