Playstation Plus Publisher Pitfalls

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSN_M1NAT3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Edited By PSN_M1NAT3K
Member since 2014 • 163 Posts

Not to be an ingrate, but I am... I'll explain.

I've been a Playstation Plus subscriber since the release of the PS4. I have enjoyed the fact that as a PS+ subscriber, I get so many free titles per month on my PS4, PS3, and Vita consoles; it's really a great value.

The ungrateful side of me is screaming, "why so many indie titles?!?" Sure, they've received rave reviews, and are in fact good titles. I just sometimes can't bring myself to play an 16-bit game on my PS4 - it's sacrilege! I have about 15-20 PS+ freebies so far, that I will probably never touch.

This past week, PSN had an "Indie Flash Sale" which offered some stunningly low prices ($4-$6 for games that were $20-$30.) I looked and clicked add to cart on a lot of these, because hey - they were "just $4!" In the end, I removed everything in my cart, because I had the overwhelming fear that next month one of the indie games that I just purchased will inevitably be a PS+ freebie.

Indie developers out there should see this as a cautionary tale. Sony is diluting the market with so many free indie games, your only hope is that Sony buys your game as next month's giveaway, because the masses of PS+ subscribers are going to be waiting in the sidelines until the day it goes free.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Or you could try the undoubtedly awesome games you are shallowly dismissing because they aren't TEH GRAPHICz!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

This is annoying, another post of mine was deleted. This is twice in the same day...

----

I had no problems buying those $2-$3 games. In fact, it's not mentioned in this thread or many threads, but Sony timed this amazing flash sale at the same time as their 10% off everything in PSN deal. So, it was quite the savings.

I spent $27 bucks plus discount. I also know that some of the games I bought may end up on PS+, but others won't. It doesn't bother me. Spending only a few bucks for games is nothing and I don't have to worry about the titles running out later. Besides, there were so many games on sale, they won't all be on PS+ anyways. They have had countless flash sales in the past I've enjoyed and I noticed those games still have yet to appear on PS+. There are more games releasing than PS+ gives out for free.

Don't mind supporting the dev for pennies on the dollar.

PSN_M1NAT3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 PSN_M1NAT3K
Member since 2014 • 163 Posts

I agree that these indie titles are probably all great games, and the developers deserve our money - without Joe Danger's revenue, there would be little chance of No Man's Sky. I'm just stating that multiple free top-tier indie titles granted per month makes me less inclined to purchase those types of games.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

The thing is these indie developers get paid from Sony for being on PS+ so the developers no what there getting and will agree, not only that many of the free ones we have had are brand new to the console in the first place and haven't really been any which are already on there, the only reason were getting lots of indie games are because the library of top tier games isn't big enough and it's a slight kick in the teeth to many who bought the console to then see a major game being given away for free this early on, end of the day for sony, the developers and the consumers it's win win. sony gets more subscribers, consumers get free games, and the developers get their money and a very good chance that someone who plays it, may in the end invest there money with them on there next project, plus it's advertisement for them as well, someone may of never paid the money for some of these games and may of liked it or loved it and that person may now feel like supporting them down the line. it's win win win really.