This topic is locked from further discussion.

DylanDJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 DylanDJK
Member since 2005 • 2001 Posts

Who else here thinks Phil Harrison is doing a wonderful job right now with promoting the PS3 and tqalking to the media? Kaz gets WAY to technical and Ken is hard to understand. Phil has been showing off some of the great PS3 games, Like Motorstorm. The video at the end of my post is a GT interview with him and they ask bout Motorstorms Mud, where they had to turn it DOWN because it made the game hard to play(ie, LOTS of blurryness amd mud splatter) then says they will show killzone when ready, and at the end of this interview says he has a "surprise" at his GDC keynote, what could it be?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17027&type=wmv

JoeyDrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JoeyDrey
Member since 2003 • 458 Posts
Yeah in his interview on IGN he was actually quite charming in a weird sort of way.  The good thing is that he is keeping it simple and in fact, I love the way he dismisses all of the Rumor mill crap, lets just get the the games, and the content.  But yeah, he is definitely the best mouth-piece of that whole organization. 
Brendruis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Brendruis
Member since 2002 • 1016 Posts
Phil is one of the only guys I've watched who can make something as dry as a business presentation into something entertaining

That's his job
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
Phil is my fav rep of the big 3. He rarely goes into fanboy mode or does stupid stuff like lame tatoos. He states facts and he does it with style - British style.
DylanDJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DylanDJK

He rarely goes into fanboy mode or does stupid stuff like lame tatoos. He states facts and he does it with style - British style.BenderUnit22

uhmm lame tatoos, GTA IV Mr. Moore? His british style also adds on, also his weird duck fetish is pretty cool also(we get a neat look duck game on PSN soon!). I hope HE does the main bit of the new E3 speech this year, he makes everything about the games and doesnt bore us with facts of air conditioning in a car, RIIIDGE RACER!, and other various stupid things.

VonGak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 VonGak
Member since 2003 • 15399 Posts
Not long ago people demand that Sony should fire him because he backed up Crazy Ken's statement about PS3 being a computer. I'm glad people here have changed their view on him as he has done a lot for Sony's game development efforts (game developers love him) and I personally like his humour.
mike2136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mike2136
Member since 2007 • 169 Posts
Phil and Kaz are the best
scrawneystick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 scrawneystick
Member since 2003 • 472 Posts

Yeah, Phil rocks.

Avatar image for michaelareb0001
michaelareb0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 michaelareb0001
Member since 2005 • 1366 Posts

What I want to know is why they pay anyone to promote it at this point. It's a PLAYSTATION, if you don't know what it is, someone will tell you. The only reason why the PS3 has a bad rap is because they talked about it too much. If they had pulled an Apple, and one day just said, "This is the PS3, it costs this much, and it's worth every penny", that would have been it. Not that 2 hour long, trainwreck that was the E3 conference. They don't need talking heads to premote it...

That being said, Phil has the most level head of the Sony PR bunch, but he's getting paid to market crack to addicts... lucky bastard.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
I lost all respect after he told Engadget that if they could find PS3's that had been sitting on the shelves for 5 minutes he'd pay 1200 for them.

I'm sorry, but I'm surprised Youtube hasn't been bombarded with movies of people standing in front of a PS3 box for 5 minutes and then demanding their $1200.

Idiotic move in my opinion...

Then, his response to Gabe Newell. Newell was not worried about the sales of the console at all. Gabe had particular gripes with the quality of the product, and the difficulty in developing for it. Phil answered him with 2-3 paragraphs about how well the PS3 was selling and how people lined up to get it in 3 continents...which I'm sorry...but has happened with all of the big 3 at their respective console launched.

Phil Harrison isn't doing such a great job IMO. Although he beats Krazy Ken by a long shot...

Edit: AAhh haha OWNED myself.  Jack Trenton said the $1200 deal.
DylanDJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DylanDJK
^^True. that E3 06 conferance destroyed LOTS of sony consumers as the boring side of that conferance was SOOOO bad, like i was reading the trolls on the forums more then the actual thing itself! I think Kaz is awesome, but should cut back on the boring tech. mumbo jumbo.
Brendruis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Brendruis
Member since 2002 • 1016 Posts
I lost all respect after he told Engadget that if they could find PS3's that had been sitting on the shelves for 5 minutes he'd pay 1200 for them.
TheSystemLord1

It was Jack Trenton who said that.

You're just wrong
zhuojloh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zhuojloh
Member since 2004 • 1796 Posts
Wow that's a class 1 interviews. No bashing, praising Nintendo. That's very good. Not like Jack saying it's an impulse buy.  What ever nintendo strategy is it's good for all Gaming industry. Introduce gaming to non-casual gamers and eventually when some of them turns to more serious gaming. PS3 or XBOX 360 will be another buy for them. Kudos on Phil for acknowledging that.
DylanDJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DylanDJK

I'm sorry, but I'm surprised Youtube hasn't been bombarded with movies of people standing in front of a PS3 box for 5 minutes and then demanding their $1200.

Then, his response to Gabe Newell.  Newell was not worried about the sales of the console at all.  Gabe had particular gripes with the quality of the product, and the difficulty in developing for it.  Phil answered him with 2-3 paragraphs about how well the PS3 was selling and how people lined up to get it in 3 continents...which I'm sorry...but has happened with all of the big 3 at their respective console launched.

Phil Harrison isn't doing such a great job IMO.  Although he beats Krazy Ken by a long shot...
TheSystemLord1

That wasnt him, that was some other moron and i saw it in system wars. Jack Trenton or something like that was the guys name, i dont recall phil EVER saying that...

aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts
He should win an Oscar
VonGak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VonGak

What I want to know is why they pay anyone to promote it at this point. It's a PLAYSTATION, if you don't know what it is, someone will tell you. The only reason why the PS3 has a bad rap is because they talked about it too much. If they had pulled an Apple, and one day just said, "This is the PS3, it costs this much, and it's worth every penny", that would have been it. Not that 2 hour long, trainwreck that was the E3 conference. They don't need talking heads to premote it...

That being said, Phil has the most level head of the Sony PR bunch, but he's getting paid to market crack to addicts... lucky bastard.

michaelareb0001
Phil is no Major Nelson PR guy, he is the head of SCEWW and is the mand who got the final word concerning 1'st and 2'nd party games. Did you see how people a D.I.C.E. knew him? That's because he is the come to guy.

Then, his response to Gabe Newell. Newell was not worried about the sales of the console at all. Gabe had particular gripes with the quality of the product, and the difficulty in developing for it. Phil answered him with 2-3 paragraphs about how well the PS3 was selling and how people lined up to get it in 3 continents...which I'm sorry...but has happened with all of the big 3 at their respective console launched.

Phil Harrison isn't doing such a great job IMO. Although he beats Krazy Ken by a long shot...
TheSystemLord1
Do you know what is more idiotic? Confusing the head of SCEA with Phil Harrison the head of SCEWW. :|
yomi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 yomi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3915 Posts
Phil does a good job. Best of all the Sony reps by a wide margin.
VonGak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VonGak

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]I lost all respect after he told Engadget that if they could find PS3's that had been sitting on the shelves for 5 minutes he'd pay 1200 for them.

Then, his response to Gabe Newell.  Newell was not worried about the sales of the console at all.  Gabe had particular gripes with the quality of the product, and the difficulty in developing for it.  Phil answered him with 2-3 paragraphs about how well the PS3 was selling and how people lined up to get it in 3 continents...which I'm sorry...but has happened with all of the big 3 at their respective console launched.

Phil Harrison isn't doing such a great job IMO.  Although he beats Krazy Ken by a long shot...
DylanDJK

That wasnt him, that was some other moron and i saw it in system wars. Jack Trenton or something like that was the guys name, i dont recall phil EVER saying that...

Indeed it was Jack "I confirmed the KillZone E3 '05 CGI trailer to be true gameplay on G4 TV" Tretton.
HunAndras1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HunAndras1984
Member since 2005 • 647 Posts
[QUOTE="DylanDJK"]

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]I lost all respect after he told Engadget that if they could find PS3's that had been sitting on the shelves for 5 minutes he'd pay 1200 for them.

VonGak

Indeed it was Jack "I confirmed the KillZone E3 '05 CGI trailer to be true gameplay on G4 TV" Tretton.

Jack Tretton said that he will give the guy $1200 if he can find a PS3 ons tore shelfs back in the begining of JANUARY.  I would give you $1200 if you could find a PS3 on any storeshelf at the end of December or beginning of January.  He didn't say that the CGI trailer was actual gameplay footage, he said that it's almost the same... 90% is what he said.  That's from his point of view. Also he said that MotorStorm looks the same as the CGI movie they showed us 2 years ago about MotorStorm. This was in Electronic Gaming Monthly

HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts

I like Phil. He seems to be a very down to earth guy, and doesnt need to cover up what he is saying with a load of tech jibe. e is definatly the clearest out of all the reps; whatever he says is pretty much what he means, unlike Mr Moore "is GTA4 really an xbox exclusive???"

And he's pretty funny. He's got a natural wit and doesn't need to try like Kaz. Oh, and you have got to love his cute rubber-duck obsession!

VonGak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VonGak
[QUOTE="VonGak"][QUOTE="DylanDJK"]

HunAndras1984

Jack Tretton said that he will give the guy $1200 if he can find a PS3 ons tore shelfs back in the begining of JANUARY.  I would give you $1200 if you could find a PS3 on any storeshelf at the end of December or beginning of January.  He didn't say that the CGI trailer was actual gameplay footage, he said that it's almost the same... 90% is what he said.  That's from his point of view. Also he said that MotorStorm looks the same as the CGI movie they showed us 2 years ago about MotorStorm. This was in Electronic Gaming Monthly

Where did he say almost? http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/vids_1.html
HunAndras1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HunAndras1984
[QUOTE="HunAndras1984"][QUOTE="VonGak"][QUOTE="DylanDJK"]

VonGak

Where did he say almost? http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/vids_1.html[/QUOTE]

I don't belive anything that ign sais...they said too much BS lately....for example....RAM problem with oblivion.  Go adn read Electronic Gaming Monthly "march" edition....and than you will see!!!

VonGak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VonGak
[QUOTE="VonGak"][QUOTE="HunAndras1984"][QUOTE="VonGak"][QUOTE="DylanDJK"]

HunAndras1984

I don't belive anything that ign sais...they said too much BS lately....for example....RAM problem with oblivion.  Go adn read Electronic Gaming Monthly "march" edition....and than you will see!!!

Um that was not IGN but 1UP and IGN was the very first to deconfirm the memory lack rumour. And if you had bothered to click my link you would have seen that it's actually a video interview on G4 TV.
Vojkan80001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#24 Vojkan80001
Member since 2005 • 3621 Posts

Who else here thinks Phil Harrison is doing a wonderful job right now with promoting the PS3 and tqalking to the media? Kaz gets WAY to technical and Ken is hard to understand. Phil has been showing off some of the great PS3 games, Like Motorstorm. The video at the end of my post is a GT interview with him and they ask bout Motorstorms Mud, where they had to turn it DOWN because it made the game hard to play(ie, LOTS of blurryness amd mud splatter) then says they will show killzone when ready, and at the end of this interview says he has a "surprise" at his GDC keynote, what could it be?

DylanDJK

Everything was great except the part where he said "Motorstorm is better now that it was in cgi trailer from 2005" and at the same time as he is saying that they run split screen comparasion where he actually owned him self a little bit.

I mean Motorstorm is AWSOME looking but please don't try making fool out of me telling that crap that its better looking now when it obviously is not. I would respect him more if he said something like "Well guys that made that famos video back in 2005 based on probable "spec" over done it a little but nevertheless it looks awsome, like nothing else on the market, dont you agree(asking that reporter and at the same time us questioning ourself and saying "yes i agree") Srry for spelling in the rush...

VonGak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VonGak
[QUOTE="DylanDJK"]

Vojkan80001

Everything was great except the part where he said "Motorstorm is better now that it was in cgi trailer from 2005" and at the same time as he is saying that they run split screen comparasion where he actually owned him self a little bit.

I mean Motorstorm is AWSOME looking but please don't try making fool out of me telling that crap that its better looking now when it obviously is not. I would respect him more if he said something like "Well guys that made that famos video back in 2005 based on probable "spec" over done it a little but nevertheless it looks awsome, like nothing else on the market, dont you agree(asking that reporter and at the same time us questioning ourself and saying "yes i agree") Srry for spelling in the rush...

Textures and lighting are better, also the mud ruds. But the IMO important parts like the whole inside view, animation of character models and car dame are very far from the target video. :(
HunAndras1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HunAndras1984
[QUOTE="HunAndras1984"][QUOTE="VonGak"][QUOTE="HunAndras1984"][QUOTE="VonGak"][QUOTE="DylanDJK"]

VonGak

Um that was not IGN but 1UP and IGN was the very first to deconfirm the memory lack rumour. And if you had bothered to click my link you would have seen that it's actually a video interview on G4 TV.

Your right!! it was 1up! Sorry about that. But I didn't click on your link because I'm at work and I ahve to serv costumers when they come!! Anyways.....point to point.  Just read Electronic Gaming Monthly "march" issue.

Also, I don't have speakers here at work so I wont even understand what they are saying! but as soon as I get home I check it out! thx for the link btw!

MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#27 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
Phil is one of the only guys I've watched who can make something as dry as a business presentation into something entertaining

That's his job
Brendruis
Amen to that.
Xanog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 Xanog1
Member since 2004 • 12332 Posts

I feel that he is great at marketing his product, while not going off of the course of reality.

Plus, his accent makes "Motorstorm" sound like something sophisticated.

HunAndras1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HunAndras1984

I feel that he is great at marketing his product, while not going off of the course of reality.

Xanog1

Yes....it's Mothostom !!:D

Shu76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Shu76
Member since 2006 • 913 Posts
It's Motahh Stoorm!!! Anyhow, I like Phil alot more than I like J Alread, He gives off this desperate vibe to sell his console that I just don't like.Phil Harrison is just like, well, this is what this is,this is what it does,this is what you can do and we're very excited about it. Just kind of a laid back way of telling consumers what he's trying to sell. J Alread tries to shove it down your throat cause they despreatly want to beat Sony. 
VonGak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VonGak
[QUOTE="Xanog1"]

HunAndras1984

Yes....it's Mothostom !!:D

LOL, so true
Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts
PHIL IS THE BEST :)
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
Kaz to me, sounded more like a walking talking text book of corperate guide lines. I like Phil better aswell. I don't like when people play this childish "fanboy game".
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts
I like Phil too, but I have a question. How do you get to work for Sony like that? I want to be in that position.