Need a new HDD, any recommendations from somebody who upgraded as well???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nitroRCman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nitroRCman
Member since 2004 • 147 Posts

I've never replaced an HDD but I'm sure it's fairly simple like a PC. Any thoughts on purchasing/tips/etc.??? My 40G is full (of course) so it's time to switch! Thanks a lot :)

zero3one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 zero3one
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts

Any 2.5" HDD will work. I tend to stick to Seagate as a brand for all my HDDs.

Just make sure to back up your data before the upgrade. It's fairly simple and you'll love the extra space! Good luck!

jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

Any 2.5" HDD will work. I tend to stick to Seagate as a brand for all my HDDs.

Just make sure to back up your data before the upgrade. It's fairly simple and you'll love the extra space! Good luck!

zero3one
All I'll add to this is go to newegg.com. They have good prices, and free shipping a lot of the time. I would also suggest sticking with 5400rpm though it's not necessary... I've read about overheating issues with 7200rpm HDD's.
nitroRCman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nitroRCman

Thanks a lot both of you. Say I didn't have an external HDD to back my stuff (my cuz may have one I could borrow regardless) is there any other process I could utilize to back up my info? Much appreciated!

-Matt

halogenic_sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 halogenic_sky
Member since 2010 • 55 Posts
individual game save data/media can be manually transferred to almost any type of usb/flash drive, including digital music players - just highlight whatever you're interested in moving, press triangle and choose what you need to do - should work for everything except copy protected saves (playstation plus has a cloud type system for game saves too, including those which are copy protected)
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I got a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB drive from Amazon. 2.5 Inch, 8 MB Cache, 5400 RPM. It's been working great for over a year now.

To back your stuff up, I just used an 8 GB USB thumb drive, copied 8 MB worth of stuff onto it from the PS3, then transferred it to my PC. Then I deleted that 8 MB off the PS3, and copied another and transferred another 8 GB of stuff, etc. There is some copy protected stuff on the PS3, so once you've got it down to less than the capacity of your thumb drive, you can just do a backup of the remainder onto the thumb drive.

You also need to go to Sony's website and download the latest firmware upgrade and put that on a USB drive, because your PS3 will ask for it after you've put your new drive in.

And sync your trophies before you begin, just to be on the safe side.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts
Not much to add, excellent info by everyone. If you can try to get higher HDD space, at least 320gb or 500gb. You might think its too much but as time goes on it will be used. Having both of my PS3 upgraded with 500gb drives for almost two years now, i recommend Western Digital and Seagate brands. Have fun with your new storage, upgrading it is easy. ;)
Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
i have used western digital. I think seagate is decent too. make sure you use the correct RPM.
nitroRCman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nitroRCman

Thanks for getting me started in the right direction guys!

minglis0913ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 minglis0913ca
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Hi I just upgraded mine to 1TB. I got it from newegg. $105. It went great. Just have to remember it HAS to be 9.5mm thickness. Some of the bigger gb drives in the 2.5" sata are 12.5mm and won't fit in the tray. Give yourself overnight to back up your PS3 on an external drive and then most of the next day to restore back to your new one.