Movies To Games , Books To Games - Whats next?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 Zack-X-X
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts

Ahh, Good old movies.. Well I have observed some things so let me enlighten you, I have baught Tom Clancys, Rainbow 6. Book & Game. As interesting as the book was, the game was suppose to be based on the book. So why was it completely different? Why do they have the same name without much relevance to each other.

Also, The Godfather II never even went to Cuba in the real movie. But in the game high ranking GF Family members get killed. Then, you are the Don called dominic of whom I HAVE never hered of in the movie. You collect racket debts of which a Don would never do in the movie. his soldiers would. I am yet to play the Bourne Ultimatum but I hope thats not the same.

So my question is, Do you think that Movies or books made into games are totally different in most cases?

Thanks

Zxx

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
[QUOTE="Zack-X-X"]

Ahh, Good old movies.. Well I have observed some things so let me enlighten you, I have baught Tom Clancys, Rainbow 6. Book & Game. As interesting as the book was, the game was suppose to be based on the book. So why was it completely different? Why do they have the same name without much relevance to each other.

Also, The Godfather II never even went to Cuba in the real movie. But in the game high ranking GF Family members get killed. Then, you are the Don called dominic of whom I HAVE never hered of in the movie. You collect racket debts of which a Don would never do in the movie. his soldiers would. I am yet to play the Bourne Ultimatum but I hope thats not the same.

So my question is, Do you think that Movies or books made into games are totally different in most cases?

Thanks

Zxx

I think a book would be better as a game than a movie because most movies are from books and they have to rush through the story else the movie would be 10-12 hours long but a game CAN and should be long like that so a book to game would be great IMO
Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zack-X-X
[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="Zack-X-X"]

Thanks

Zxx

I think a book would be better as a game than a movie because most movies are from books and they have to rush through the story else the movie would be 10-12 hours long but a game CAN and should be long like that so a book to game would be great IMO

Well It didnt Seem to work in this case did it?
hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

books to games cuz u can do anything in a video game. movie u are very limited compared to a game

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

Just because something is based off another doesn't mean it's going to be the exact same. Rainbow Six is based off the book but that's all it is - they're just using the name. You shouldn't expect all adaptations to be pinpoint accurate, otherwise there would be no point to them.

alone_i_play

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 alone_i_play
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
When you do a game from a movie, you have to add content, otherwise it wouldn't take longer than the movie... Which is lame... Books to games is different, cause a book have ALOT more than the movie... just think about Da Vinci Code...
Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zack-X-X

Just because something is based off another doesn't mean it's going to be the exact same. Rainbow Six is based off the book but that's all it is - they're just using the name. You shouldn't expect all adaptations to be pinpoint accurate, otherwise there would be no point to them.

Scianix-Black
Mm But I never said pinpoint, Just get the Ideas RIght.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

Zack-X-X

The idea was to take the book's characters and loosely create a video game world around them based on what's written in the book, not translate each and every page into a video game.

Isn't Rainbow Six about a counter terrorist military unit? And aren't the video games based around the same group?

Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zack-X-X
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

[QUOTE="Zack-X-X"][QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

The idea was to take the book's characters and loosely create a video game world around them based on what's written in the book, not translate each and every page into a video game.

Isn't Rainbow Six about a counter terrorist military unit? And aren't the video games based around the same group?

I guess I'm beat. kk
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

It's a simple answer.

It's all to milk the franchise name further.

Want a way to make a few extra mill on Tom Clancy's name? Make military games and slap his name on it.

Want to get that little "extra" with a movie release? Rush a mediocre game with marketing counting on "that impulse buy because you saw the movie". It's a lot easier with kids as well.

It doesn't matter if it's relevant to the story or not. You could have a game about German bears take a crap in a space toilet. But slap "TERMINATOR" as the title and you'll have instant buys on the title alone. Because people see "TERMINATOR".

Manipulation is quite easy...

Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zack-X-X
[QUOTE="Denji"]

It's a simple answer.

Want a way to make a few extra mill on Tom Clancy's name? Make military games and slap his name on it.

Want to get that little "extra" with a movie release? Rush a mediocre game with marketing counting on "that impulse buy because you saw the movie". It's a lot easier with kids as well.

It doesn't matter if it's relevant to the story or not. You could have a game about German bears take a crap in a space toilet. But slap "TERMINATOR" as the title and you'll have instant buys on the title alone. Because people see "TERMINATOR".

Yeh thats true, Its about Reputation Like ' Pepsi ' its a brand name. When they drink it they think Of 'pepsi'. I make the mistake of doing that but I no longer do so as I have found Gamespot to get some extra information on what I am purchasing. SR2 was a mistake for me.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

[QUOTE="Denji"]

It's a simple answer.

Zack-X-X

Yeh thats true, Its about Reputation Like ' Pepsi ' its a brand name. When they drink it they think Of 'pepsi'. I make the mistake of doing that but I no longer do so as I have found Gamespot to get some extra information on what I am purchasing. SR2 was a mistake for me.

I do that every time. Especially with a new franchise. I always look around and research. Not just for the whole "brand name" thing, but also because I don't exactly have money to burn either. So I would rather make what I buy "count". I'd rather spend $60 ~ $70 elsewhere if it's going to be a bad game. Movie games are well known for being horrible since the NES days. So I avoid them like the plague:lol:

Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zack-X-X
[QUOTE="Denji"]

[QUOTE="Zack-X-X"][QUOTE="Denji"]

It's a simple answer.

I do that every time. Especially with a new franchise. I always look around and research. Not just for the whole "brand name" thing, but also because I don't exactly have money to burn either. So I would rather make what I buy "count". I'd rather spend $60 ~ $70 elsewhere if it's going to be a bad game. Movie games are well known for being horrible since the NES days. So I avoid them like the plague:lol:

Haha, I have the money to burn so it doesnt worry me, I write some reviews for external sites so I buy to write..
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#14 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

Unfortunately most movies to games don't work out

play_thegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 play_thegame
Member since 2008 • 3630 Posts
i played the jason bourne demo and it was surprisingly good. the great sound track and tough enemies really kept me on my toes. if i wasnt already getting so many games for crimbo i would get the full game.
Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zack-X-X
i played the jason bourne demo and it was surprisingly good. the great sound track and tough enemies really kept me on my toes. if i wasnt already getting so many games for crimbo i would get the full game.play_thegame
Yeh, But that is exactly what the Demo is for to make you buy the game. They make the demo really good, but not the game.