Most Overrated and Underrated Games since 2010

This topic is locked from further discussion.

conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 conmbo2
Member since 2012 • 112 Posts

My list -

Most overrated

1) Gears of War 3- I think by far is the most overrated game by far

2)Killzone 3 - I am not sure why people enjoy the game so much

3) Black Ops 1 & 2 - and I was a sucker and I bought the second one... I do enjoy zombies

4) Modern Warfare 3/ BF3 - Both could of been great but were not

5) Halo Reach/ Halo 4 - Getting a 9.8 was insane

(I could of missed a couple so feel free to swap, Halo 4 will be the quickest off the list)

Most Underrated

1) Heavy Rain I originally had the orange box here but that came out in 2007 :)

2) Silent Hill Downpour

3) Dark Souls - I can not beat it because im stuck and its frustrating but what a fantastic game

4) Max Payne 3 - Thought it was brilliant

5) Fifa 13

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
More suited to System wars as it's not PS3 games only
DoctorWho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 DoctorWho88
Member since 2011 • 214 Posts

My list -

Most overrated

1) Gears of War 3- I think by far is the most overrated game by far

2)Killzone 3 - I am not sure why people enjoy the game so much

3) Black Ops 1 & 2 - and I was a sucker and I bought the second one... I do enjoy zombies

4) Modern Warfare 3/ BF3 - Both could of been great but were not

5) Halo Reach/ Halo 4 - Getting a 9.8 was insane

(I could of missed a couple so feel free to swap, Halo 4 will be the quickest off the list)

Most Underrated

1) Heavy Rain I originally had the orange box here but that came out in 2007 :)

2) Silent Hill Downpour

3) Dark Souls - I can not beat it because im stuck and its frustrating but what a fantastic game

4) Max Payne 3 - Thought it was brilliant

5) Fifa 13

conmbo2
Not bad, the only ones I disagree with: 1) BF3 - please explain what the problem was so that it didn't meet its potential? 2)Dark Souls - don't see how this is underrated, fantastic reviews and hugely popular (at least at Gamespot) 3) Max Payne 3 - don't see how this is underrated, should be overrated if anything, what was so attractive about being able to watch your bullets IN SLOW MOTION. Wow, I'm so impressed
Avatar image for Rioichi21Cooper
Rioichi21Cooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Rioichi21Cooper
Member since 2012 • 246 Posts

Heavy Rain

conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 conmbo2

Hey Doctor, I love the BF series... I was disappointed with RUSH and Conquest... When there are planes in Conquest.. they just dominate....I also thought the campaign was a huge letdown! The audio and Physics engine are insane.. frostbite 3 I thinki its called... TDM was fun but I thought BFBC 2 was just a much better game

Dark Souls- I just thought that when I am at work or at a friends... no one has even heard about it, all they know is the typical games on commericials.... After playing it I just raved about it...

Max Payne 3- The campaign and story I thought were fantastic, unlike many people who hated the game.. I enjoyed the cut scenes and it really made it hard to put down.,.. Ive actually gone back and got all the golden guns :D

I forgot to add Alan Wake to the underrated list :)

Heavy Rain

Rioichi21Cooper

:D

Fear-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fear-
Member since 2012 • 499 Posts
Overrated Dishounored, Dear God... I just don't get all the fuss about that game.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
opinions etc, I'd take it to system wars.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
underrated - 3d dot game heroes / yakuza 3 & 4 / resistance 3 / motorstorm apocalypse
glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 glitch2424
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts

Most overrated:

LittleBigPlanet - it's just a boring game, with poor control (floaty physics) and lack of challenge.

Mass Effect 3 - disappointing compared to the previous 2. ME1 had great plot and universe development, ME2 had great characters. ME3 offered NOTHING.

Uncharted 2/3 - Have you tried playing the single player again? It's just boring, and the gameplay is simply not more than what Uncharted:DF offered back when it first came out (those of you who are level-minded will agree with me, ESPECIALLY if you played DF).

Heavy Rain - If I want to watch a movie, I go to the theatres.

Portal 2 - honestly, people don't notice this, but the way interaction with the enviroment is limited (ie, grey vs white blocks) makes the game turn into a trial and error type of game (ie, it leaves open-ended puzzles out of the equation). Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game, but it totally sucks the replay value out of the game. Once a puzzle is finished, the magic is completely gone.

COD [treyarch games] - W.A.W and Black ops are significantly choppy/unbalanced compared to the infinitiy ward games. Really bad.

MGS4 - though a great game, it does NOT deserve a 10/10. At most, an 8.

Persona 4 - this has one of the worst gameplay pacing ever. The game is designed in such a way (ie, limited days that's constantly getting thrown in your face from day to day) that you're forced to either do long periods of monster grinding OR long periods of NPC talking to max out your time. Overall, 8/10. Just b/c it's a JRPG with a solid story/ decent battle system doesn't mean it should be highly rated. Game design counts too, and this game's design just lends itself to be an only decent experience. Like I said, 8/10, not 9 or 10/10.

Most underrated / Not played or talked about enough:

Xenoblade Chronicles - highly rated, but not played/talked about enough. Excellent game AND experience (music/world/gameplay is amazing).

World of Goo - in terms of indie games, all I hear about is super meat boy, braid, and limbo, and bastion - but honestly, in terms of fun, addictive gameplay, and also in terms of atmosphere and mature story telling, this game is on the top of my list (indie AND non-indie).

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts
Overrated: CoD, Max Payne 3 Underrated: Dishonored, Dragon's Dogma, Counter-Strike: Source
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

underated - max payne 3, kameo, condemned, sleeping dogs

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Most overrated:

LittleBigPlanet - it's just a boring game, with poor control (floaty physics) and lack of challenge.

Mass Effect 3 - disappointing compared to the previous 2. ME1 had great plot and universe development, ME2 had great characters. ME3 offered NOTHING.

Uncharted 2/3 - Have you tried playing the single player again? It's just boring, and the gameplay is simply not more than what Uncharted:DF offered back when it first came out (those of you who are level-minded will agree with me, ESPECIALLY if you played DF).

Portal 2 - honestly, people don't notice this, but the way interaction with the enviroment is limited (ie, grey vs white blocks) makes the game turn into a trial and error type of game (ie, it leaves open-ended puzzles out of the equation). Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game, but it totally sucks the replay value out of the game. Once a puzzle is finished, the magic is completely gone.

COD [treyarch games] - W.A.W and Black ops are significantly choppy/unbalanced compared to the infinitiy ward games. Really bad.

Persona 4 - this has one of the worst gameplay pacing ever. The game is designed in such a way (ie, limited days that's constantly getting thrown in your face from day to day) that you're forced to either do long periods of monster grinding OR long periods of NPC talking to max out your time. Overall, 8/10. Just b/c it's a JRPG with a solid story/ decent battle system doesn't mean it should be highly rated. Game design counts too, and this game's design just lends itself to be an only decent experience. Like I said, 8/10, not 9 or 10/10.

Xenoblade Chronicles - highly rated, but not played/talked about enough. Excellent game AND experience (music/world/gameplay is amazing).

World of Goo - in terms of indie games, all I hear about is super meat boy, braid, and limbo, and bastion - but honestly, in terms of fun, addictive gameplay, and also in terms of atmosphere and mature story telling, this game is on the top of my list (indie AND non-indie).

glitch2424

If you think Uncharted 2 and 3 played like the original, then you are not very smart. The gunplay felt a lot tighter in sequels. The rapid fire guns did not feel like they had substance in the first game. The stealth combat made melee combat a lot better. There was a lot more variety in location instead of just running through a jungle and caves. There was also more variation in the types of bad guys that were fought in the Uncharted sequels. Not every gun fight was fought in a square like area. Not every bad guy was fought on an even level playing field.

Little Big Planet is not supposed to be a Mario type of platformer. It might not be your type of game, but it is not boring. The jumping is supposed to be floaty. The developers purposely built the game that way.

How is Xenoblade and World of Goo underrated? Those games received high marks around the web. The reason World of Goo was not talked about was because it was on Wiiware. A lot of people that owned the Wii never went online with it due to Nintendo's restrictive nature and lack of Ethernet Jack support. Xenoblade could been talked about more if Nintendo actually had solid plans to release the game instead of claiming that it would never see the light of day in America, but then finally making it available in limited quantities.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Overrated : Mass Effect 3, GOW3, Skyrim, GTA4

Underrated: Enslaved, Max Payne 3, Spec Ops: The Line, Alan Wake, Metro 2033

DoctorWho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DoctorWho88

Hey Doctor, I love the BF series... I was disappointed with RUSH and Conquest... When there are planes in Conquest.. they just dominate....I also thought the campaign was a huge letdown! The audio and Physics engine are insane.. frostbite 3 I thinki its called... TDM was fun but I thought BFBC 2 was just a much better game

Dark Souls- I just thought that when I am at work or at a friends... no one has even heard about it, all they know is the typical games on commericials.... After playing it I just raved about it...

Max Payne 3- The campaign and story I thought were fantastic, unlike many people who hated the game.. I enjoyed the cut scenes and it really made it hard to put down.,.. Ive actually gone back and got all the golden guns :D

I forgot to add Alan Wake to the underrated list :)

[QUOTE="Rioichi21Cooper"]

Heavy Rain

conmbo2

:D

None of my friends have heard about Dark Souls either, but none of them are gamers and they only play Fifa, CoD, and a bit of BF3
DoctorWho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DoctorWho88
Overrated Dishounored, Dear God... I just don't get all the fuss about that game.Fear-
People like it cuz it was made by Bethesda :P jk
conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 conmbo2

I will have to check out these sleeping dogs game... Thats the second time i have heard that its a decent game..

Thanks for all the input. Although I dont agree with the uncharted being overrated :D

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

Am more of a rpg gamer so

Underrated:

Resonance of fate, disgaea 3 for the ps3

Radiant historia for the DS

Earthbound (old stuff i know, but it is a killer game which just wasnt appreciated for some reason. IMO better than chrono trigger)

Overrated:

FF13 and FF13-2. (ff13 desrved a 5 at best and the next one arond 6 would be on the mark) dark souls (difficulty is a cheap trick. dragon's dogma is a much better game in every aspect.)

conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 conmbo2

Underrated:

Earthbound (old stuff i know, but it is a killer game which just wasnt appreciated for some reason. IMO better than chrono trigger)

Overrated:

FF13 and FF13-2. (ff13 desrved a 5 at best and the next one arond 6 would be on the mark) dark souls (difficulty is a cheap trick. dragon's dogma is a much better game in every aspect.)

voljin1987

Never even heard of it :)

DoctorWho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DoctorWho88

[QUOTE="voljin1987"]

Underrated:

Overrated:

conmbo2

Which one?
PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

Heavy Rain is definitely underrated.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Overrated DarkSouls/Demon Souls - Dark Souls is my favorite game of the generation, but it's difficulty is overstated. Every other praise is basically spot on. Uncharted 3 - The pacing was pretty bad. It was almost unbearable during my second playthrough.
187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

Underrated:

Rayman Origins

Sonic Generations

Binary Domain

The Amazing Spider-man

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

F1 Race Stars

Overrated:

Mass Effect 2 and 3

MW3

Skyrim

Dragon Age 2

Starhawk

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

OVERRATED:

• Mass Effect 2
  • Heavy Rain
  • Skyrim
  • Modern Warfare 3

UNDERRATED:

• Saints Row The Third
  • Just Cause 2
  • Mafia II
  • Sleeping Dogs
RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RageQuitter69

PinkiePirate
underrated, how on earth is it underrated?
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#25 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Overrated: Heavy Rain. Poorly written and acted story that's B-rated movie quality at best, not fun to play. Very little to play actually. Other than the atmosphere and soundtrack, I find it hard to say anything good about it.

Underrated: Spec Ops: The Line. People love calling games art, bashing shooters, and bragging about stories and here we have a shooter that's more artistic than a lot of games and actually has a great story that uses the fact that it's a video game to its advantage to tell it. That deserves credit, but no one seems to talk about it.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#26 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I don't think you understand what underrated means, because very clearly, Max Payne 3, Heavy Rain and Dark Souls are not underrated, have you seen the reviews?

For me, overrated:

• Dark Souls
  • Mafia 2
  • Outland
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Infamous 2
  • Resident Evil 6

Underrated:

• Dead Island
  • Prototype 2
  • Syndicate
  • Shadows of the Damned
  • Saw 2: Flesh and Blood
  • The Darkness 2
DoctorWho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DoctorWho88

I don't think you understand what underrated means, because very clearly, Max Payne 3, Heavy Rain and Dark Souls are not underrated, have you seen the reviews?

For me, overrated:

• Dark Souls
  • Mafia 2
  • Outland
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Infamous 2
  • Resident Evil 6

Underrated:

• Dead Island
  • Prototype 2
  • Syndicate
  • Shadows of the Damned
  • The Darkness 2
Venom_Raptor
Overrated and underrated do not literally refer to "ratings", they also refer to general critical acclaim, popularity with fanbases and gamers, sales and advertisments
XereoWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 XereoWarrior
Member since 2012 • 135 Posts
Underrated: Darksiders Bayonetta Kingdoms Of Amalur Reckoning Overrated: Modern Warfare 3 Deus Ex Human Revolution Mass Effect 2 & 3
glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 glitch2424

[QUOTE="glitch2424"]

Most overrated:

gamenerd15

If you think Uncharted 2 and 3 played like the original, then you are not very smart. The gunplay felt a lot tighter in sequels. The rapid fire guns did not feel like they had substance in the first game. The stealth combat made melee combat a lot better. There was a lot more variety in location instead of just running through a jungle and caves. There was also more variation in the types of bad guys that were fought in the Uncharted sequels. Not every gun fight was fought in a square like area. Not every bad guy was fought on an even level playing field.

Little Big Planet is not supposed to be a Mario type of platformer. It might not be your type of game, but it is not boring. The jumping is supposed to be floaty. The developers purposely built the game that way.

How is Xenoblade and World of Goo underrated? Those games received high marks around the web. The reason World of Goo was not talked about was because it was on Wiiware. A lot of people that owned the Wii never went online with it due to Nintendo's restrictive nature and lack of Ethernet Jack support. Xenoblade could been talked about more if Nintendo actually had solid plans to release the game instead of claiming that it would never see the light of day in America, but then finally making it available in limited quantities.

1) Uncharted's gameplay hasn't actually changed much, believe it or not. Do some more analyzing. All the devs did was throw different types of enemies at you (ie: those with shields, so you'd HAVE to aim at their feet). It's the same with the climbing mechanics, they just forced you to scale buildings/structures differently. That all aside, shooting, cover, and climbing mechanics are IDENTICAL to that DF. Also, enemies are bullet sponges, making the gunplay very weak. Open your eyes.

2) LBP was boring TO ME. Holy shoot, that is my opinion (and actually most of my friends' opinions as well). Also, if you're a fan of platformers AT ALL, floaty physics is a terrible idea. What you want in platformers is total control.

3) I mentioned in the subsection title that "not played or talked about". Please learn to read. I'm aware of all those facts, and also WoG was released on the smartphones and steam, therefore it should be talked about more than it should be. However, I do acknowledge one thing, and that is that I have the european version of xenoblades actually (not the actual hardcopy...but that's another story), so I guess others haven't had the opportunity to own and play it like I have, so that's my mistake.

supern0va9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 supern0va9
Member since 2012 • 35 Posts

conmbo2

"these sleeping dogs games" and never even heard of Earthbound. GTFO

BTW he said underrated games since 2010.

supern0va9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 supern0va9
Member since 2012 • 35 Posts

[QUOTE="PinkiePirate"]

RageQuitter69

underrated, how on earth is it underrated?

Because it doesn't sell nearly as much as your CoD or Halo.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#32 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Playstation All Stars is pretty underrated here at gamespot. So much fun
punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

over rated

Gears of war

God of War

Every mario game

under rated

sleeping dogs

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gamenerd15

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

[QUOTE="glitch2424"]

Most overrated:

glitch2424

1) Uncharted's gameplay hasn't actually changed much, believe it or not. Do some more analyzing. All the devs did was throw different types of enemies at you (ie: those with shields, so you'd HAVE to aim at their feet). It's the same with the climbing mechanics, they just forced you to scale buildings/structures differently. That all aside, shooting, cover, and climbing mechanics are IDENTICAL to that DF. Also, enemies are bullet sponges, making the gunplay very weak. Open your eyes.

2) LBP was boring TO ME. Holy shoot, that is my opinion (and actually most of my friends' opinions as well). Also, if you're a fan of platformers AT ALL, floaty physics is a terrible idea. What you want in platformers is total control.

3) I mentioned in the subsection title that "not played or talked about". Please learn to read. I'm aware of all those facts, and also WoG was released on the smartphones and steam, therefore it should be talked about more than it should be. However, I do acknowledge one thing, and that is that I have the european version of xenoblades actually (not the actual hardcopy...but that's another story), so I guess others haven't had the opportunity to own and play it like I have, so that's my mistake.

Your complaints about Uncharted could be used for any franchise. A character does not have to hav 50 billion different moves to make things interesting. If you played Prototype 1,, then you will see that making characters have a bunch of different moves might actually hurt the overall game. From your standpoint, I could say that all Sidescrolling Mario games are the same. It is just run, jump, run jump. The developers just changed the platforms in each level to force you to use the same two mechanics differently. I could also say that F-zero is crap because I all you do is accelerate and boost. The developers only changed tracks around to force you to use those two moves differently. Every game has only a few core mechanics it uses over and over again. The rest is always up to level design. I could argue that the whole first person shooter genre is crap because all you do is run around and shoot enemies. The developers only changed the structures in each level forcing you to use those attributes differently. Welcome to the world of video games. Hi my name is Lauren. I will be your tour guide.

If Little Big Planet played like a Mario game, then there would not have been the possiblity any type of creation tools to make levels. Each level in a Mario game was built around the way Mario moves. When giving creation tools to people that do not understand programming, you cannot have the main character have tight control because then you have to limit what kind of platforms people can create as well as how characters respond to them. Media Molecules wanted to make the possibilities of creation endless, so they gave the main character a bit of a floaty in order for it to react to different types of objects. Anyone from watching gameplay footage of the first game can tell that it was not meant to be a Mario game at all. It is fine to not like the game, but to criticize it because it does not play like a Mario or Rayman is being unfair. Your complaint against Little Big Planet would be akin to saying that a hamburger tastes bad because it does not taste like a hot dog. Hamburgers are not supposed to taste like hot dogs because they are their own thing. Little Big Planet is its own game. It is not a Mario game. If every platformer played like Mario, then the genre would be pretty stale. Why would want to play a knock off of something else? Why not play the real thing?

I did read what you wrote and my comment still stands. How many apps or games are released on smart phones a day? Probably a good bit. How many people actually continue to play smart phone games again and again. Sure, there are some good ones out there that might bring people back again and again. There is also a reason most of those games only cost a dollar. Games purchased for smartphones are bought on impulse. Xenoblade is not talked about simply because it came out on the Wii in 2011 in Europe and 2012 in North America. The interest in Wii pretty much died after Donkey Kong Country Returns came out in November of 2010. People came back for the new Zelda, the system has been dead since early 2011. Even Nintendo failed to Mention Mario Party 9 at E3 that year. Since the Wii was branded as a family system, RPG players did not look to the machine for a fix. Nintendo of America also stated on numerous occasions that it had no plans to release Xenoblade in the USA. When Nintendo finally did release the game, it was only available to purchase at Gamestop and Nintendo's website. Xenoblade did not have a proper release like every other game. Nintendo basically did not have faith in the game at all and only put out limited quantities to appease people.

DoctorWho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DoctorWho88

[QUOTE="glitch2424"]

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

gamenerd15

Your complaints about Uncharted could be used for any franchise. A character does not have to hav 50 billion different moves to make things interesting. If you played Prototype 1,, then you will see that making characters have a bunch of different moves might actually hurt the overall game. From your standpoint, I could say that all Sidescrolling Mario games are the same. It is just run, jump, run jump. The developers just changed the platforms in each level to force you to use the same two mechanics differently. I could also say that F-zero is crap because I all you do is accelerate and boost. The developers only changed tracks around to force you to use those two moves differently. Every game has only a few core mechanics it uses over and over again. The rest is always up to level design. I could argue that the whole first person shooter genre is crap because all you do is run around and shoot enemies. The developers only changed the structures in each level forcing you to use those attributes differently. Welcome to the world of video games. Hi my name is Lauren. I will be your tour guide.

If Little Big Planet played like a Mario game, then there would not have been the possiblity any type of creation tools to make levels. Each level in a Mario game was built around the way Mario moves. When giving creation tools to people that do not understand programming, you cannot have the main character have tight control because then you have to limit what kind of platforms people can create as well as how characters respond to them. Media Molecules wanted to make the possibilities of creation endless, so they gave the main character a bit of a floaty in order for it to react to different types of objects. Anyone from watching gameplay footage of the first game can tell that it was not meant to be a Mario game at all. It is fine to not like the game, but to criticize it because it does not play like a Mario or Rayman is being unfair. Your complaint against Little Big Planet would be akin to saying that a hamburger tastes bad because it does not taste like a hot dog. Hamburgers are not supposed to taste like hot dogs because they are their own thing. Little Big Planet is its own game. It is not a Mario game. If every platformer played like Mario, then the genre would be pretty stale. Why would want to play a knock off of something else? Why not play the real thing?

I did read what you wrote and my comment still stands. How many apps or games are released on smart phones a day? Probably a good bit. How many people actually continue to play smart phone games again and again. Sure, there are some good ones out there that might bring people back again and again. There is also a reason most of those games only cost a dollar. Games purchased for smartphones are bought on impulse. Xenoblade is not talked about simply because it came out on the Wii in 2011 in Europe and 2012 in North America. The interest in Wii pretty much died after Donkey Kong Country Returns came out in November of 2010. People came back for the new Zelda, the system has been dead since early 2011. Even Nintendo failed to Mention Mario Party 9 at E3 that year. Since the Wii was branded as a family system, RPG players did not look to the machine for a fix. Nintendo of America also stated on numerous occasions that it had no plans to release Xenoblade in the USA. When Nintendo finally did release the game, it was only available to purchase at Gamestop and Nintendo's website. Xenoblade did not have a proper release like every other game. Nintendo basically did not have faith in the game at all and only put out limited quantities to appease people.

Well this is a heated debate
conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 conmbo2

All of your games I dont know

conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 conmbo2

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

For me, overrated:

• Dark Souls
  • Mafia 2
  • Outland
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Infamous 2
  • Resident Evil 6

Underrated:

• Dead Island
  • Prototype 2
  • Syndicate
  • Shadows of the Damned
  • The Darkness 2

DoctorWho88

Overrated and underrated do not literally refer to "ratings", they also refer to general critical acclaim, popularity with fanbases and gamers, sales and advertisments

o yeah dead island? worth the 20 dollars?

O and Saw 2... I was interested in those games because I loved the original saw but those games also got killed... think thats worth picking up? Expecially if I like RPG and silent hill downpour?

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gamenerd15

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

[QUOTE="glitch2424"]

DoctorWho88

Not really. I was just responding to what the poster said. Why bother posting a response at all if you are not going to go into details? The poster had criticisms against a few games, and I tried to answer them. I could have been a bit nicer about it, but the poster's criticsm against Uncharted could be used for any game, so it does not hold that much weight. If a person believes that a game is not good because it uses the same core mechanics over and over again for the entire franchise, then I would say that this person should just quit playing games as a whole. He or she is going to find that sequels do tend to use the same core mechanics as the original game. This is due to the fact that the original game is where everything was put into place. Developers are not going to start from scratch for every iteration of a franchise. I cannot think of one franchise that does not reuse some mechanics in its sequels. I would love to know if such a franchise exists.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Might be 2009 but w/e. FF13 has been the subject of many tears and gnashing of teeth from the FF fanbase. I've been playing it a lot lately and considering the first 8 chapters or so they are absolutely right in criticizing the game. It's paced horribly, characters are lame and mostly annoying, dialogue is cheesy and is repetitive, battles have no strategy and simply require a few paradigm shifts. Going on to later chapters though the game opens up immensely. Lots of sidequesting to be done, the player is given complete freedom as to how to setup and fight battles, the party really comes together and the cheeze is still there but it's the good kind. Shame the earlier portions of the game weren't quite there.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RageQuitter69

See my blog, most of the games listed are from 2010-2011

glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 glitch2424

[QUOTE="DoctorWho88"][QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

gamenerd15

Not really. I was just responding to what the poster said. Why bother posting a response at all if you are not going to go into details? The poster had criticisms against a few games, and I tried to answer them. I could have been a bit nicer about it, but the poster's criticsm against Uncharted could be used for any game, so it does not hold that much weight. If a person believes that a game is not good because it uses the same core mechanics over and over again for the entire franchise, then I would say that this person should just quit playing games as a whole. He or she is going to find that sequels do tend to use the same core mechanics as the original game. This is due to the fact that the original game is where everything was put into place. Developers are not going to start from scratch for every iteration of a franchise. I cannot think of one franchise that does not reuse some mechanics in its sequels. I would love to know if such a franchise exists.

Ugh, big wall of text. I'll put it nice and sweet:

1) That statement that you can use that for any franchise is false. Mario always did something differently, and the 2d and 2.5d mario games feel totally different in terms of control and gameplay type. Super mario 1 (SM1) was very basic run and jump, SM3 added ALOT more powers that totally changed up the gameplay (eg, flying?), which added more room for tranversal and degrees of freedom. SMW added yoshi and different controls as well to how mario flies and handles (eg, running up walls, floating, fence climbinb [where mario will be hanging middair on a gate], sucking up things with yoshi [ie, totally eliminating a sprite from the field-of-view only to reintroduce the sprite as bullet back into the game world]). Same with Halo series, a big relevant shooter. Halo 1: innovative interms of gameplay mechanics, such as introducing unique weapons that act differently, and reintegrating melee attacks and vehicle handing in console games. It was the first to introduce a really EXCELLENT AI that made the player react instead of getting reacted to, making all the game mechanics mentioned above all the more significant. Halo 2: introduced dual wielding, and the "innovative" regenerating shield that changed the flow of combat, and a higher jump that introduced some platforming elements. Halo 3: refined all the rest of the gameplay mechanics, including how you CONTROL dual wielding. Hi, I'm a REAL game designer, and I'll be your guide that will show you how to REALLY analyze games, instead of using a general statement "ohhh that argument can be used for any game!".

2) I don't know why you're still trying to convince me LBP is fun when TO ME it's not. This topic is done, and my arguement still stands that the jumping mechanics are not tight. NOTICE my arguement was about the mechanics, NOT about the identity of the LBP series. Got that? Good.

3) I don't know what you're even argueing there. I guess you're trying to "educate" me there, but my arguement still stands that Xeno Chronicles was not talked about enough. Got that?

Also, the argument about uncharted pretty much still stands. Like the 2 great examples above (Super Mario series and Halo series), you'll notice for sure how each entry in the series FEELS different in terms of control (ie, game mechanics of the player - notice how I did not even delve into game design). Now contrast Uncharted with the series mentioned, and you'll see that uncharted 2/3 added nothing significant except a cinematic movie boost. Of all honesty you know some things about gaming, but simply don't go in depth enough. Son, I've been playing games almost my entire life, and I also design, and until you can stand back and see how I analyzed the games above (which took literally ~2 minutes - i literally picked the 2 frachises that game to mind first), then come back to me and we'll have a REAL arguement (not sure if I should use the word son or not, just cuz you said your name was Lauren, and I beleive that is a female name - ummm no offense if you're a guy :/ ). I'm done here, if you truly did read this post than maybe you'll be smart enough not to post back.

And @DoctorWho: I know eh? ;) As bad as this convo sounds, it's really just a battle between 2 keyboard warriors, b/c admittedly at this point this is what we both are.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gamenerd15

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

[QUOTE="DoctorWho88"] Well this is a heated debateglitch2424

1) That statement that you can use that for any franchise is false. Mario always did something differently, and the 2d and 2.5d mario games feel totally different in terms of control and gameplay type. Super mario 1 (SM1) was very basic run and jump, SM3 added ALOT more powers that totally changed up the gameplay (eg, flying?), which added more room for tranversal and degrees of freedom. SMW added yoshi and different controls as well to how mario flies and handles (eg, running up walls, floating, fence climbinb [where mario will be hanging middair on a gate], sucking up things with yoshi [ie, totally eliminating a sprite from the field-of-view only to reintroduce the sprite as bullet back into the game world]). Same with Halo series, a big relevant shooter. Halo 1: innovative interms of gameplay mechanics, such as introducing unique weapons that act differently, and reintegrating melee attacks and vehicle handing in console games. It was the first to introduce a really EXCELLENT AI that made the player react instead of getting reacted to, making all the game mechanics mentioned above all the more significant. Halo 2: introduced dual wielding, and the "innovative" regenerating shield that changed the flow of combat, and a higher jump that introduced some platforming elements. Halo 3: refined all the rest of the gameplay mechanics, including how you CONTROL dual wielding. Hi, I'm a REAL game designer, and I'll be your guide that will show you how to REALLY analyze games, instead of using a general statement "ohhh that argument can be used for any game!".

2) I don't know why you're still trying to convince me LBP is fun when TO ME it's not. This topic is done, and my arguement still stands that the jumping mechanics are not tight. NOTICE my arguement was about the mechanics, NOT about the identity of the LBP series. Got that? Good.

3) I don't know what you're even argueing there. I guess you're trying to "educate" me there, but my arguement still stands that Xeno Chronicles was not talked about enough. Got that?

Also, the argument about uncharted pretty much still stands. Like the 2 great examples above (Super Mario series and Halo series), you'll notice for sure how each entry in the series FEELS different in terms of control (ie, game mechanics of the player - notice how I did not even delve into game design). Now contrast Uncharted with the series mentioned, and you'll see that uncharted 2/3 added nothing significant except a cinematic movie boost. Of all honesty you know some things about gaming, but simply don't go in depth enough. Son, I've been playing games almost my entire life, and I also design, and until you can stand back and see how I analyzed the games above (which took literally ~2 minutes - i literally picked the 2 frachises that game to mind first), then come back to me and we'll have a REAL arguement (not sure if I should use the word son or not, just cuz you said your name was Lauren, and I beleive that is a female name - ummm no offense if you're a guy :/ ). I'm done here, if you truly did read this post than maybe you'll be smart enough not to post back.

And @DoctorWho: I know eh? ;) As bad as this convo sounds, it's really just a battle between 2 keyboard warriors, b/c admittedly at this point this is what we both are.

Clearly, you have an attitude for no reason. You think that you know better because you feel that you have been playing games longer than everyone else. Uncharted added stealth mechanics, which changed the way firefights could play out. The melee controls were simplified, which allowed people to engage in hand to hand combat. The areas in the Uncharted sequels were not just a box. You could actually throw people that were higher up than you.. In Uncharted 3, the developers added the ability to use the environment against the enemy. For example during the firefights in the desert, you were able to shoot columns causing the structures that enemies were on to collapse. The third game also added the ability to throw grenades back at opponents. Granted, throwing grenades is not a brand new mechanic, but the way iit was used in Uncharted 3 made it feel different than in the other two games. You seem to be under the impression that sequels have to add in brand new mechanics to bring about gameplay changes. Games can bring out about changes by using the same mechanics in different ways.

Most of the suits in Mario Bros 3 did not have long term uses. The frog suit was only good for water levels. The P wing was only good for levels that were straight forward (start from the left) move to the right formula. Not all levels followed that same typical setup. There were some levels that were more puzzle oriented, so flying in the sky would not help much in those levels. This is probably why Nintendo chose to cut back on suits for Mario world and just stuck with the fireflower and cape.

I understand that you do not like Little Big Planet, I stated that it was fine for you to not like the game. I was not trying to make you enjoy something you do not. The so called "floaty" jumping is part of what makes Little Big Planet the game that it is. The way the jumping feels is part of its idenetity. If you tightened the mechanic up to the point of a Mario game, it would cease to be a Little Big Planet game. The platforming has a different feel to it than a Mario or Rayman game.

From your latest response, it appears that you have a lot to learn about treating people decently and about being a designer as whole. Saying that X genre should always control a certain way makes you look closed minded. As a designer/artist/developer, you should be able to see the value in almost all games even if you yourself disagree with the decisions made on a given title. Saying that Little Big Planet was crap because it did not have tight jumping mechanics is a bit shallow. You should be able to look at the Little Big Planet and say, "I do necessarily agree with the way jumping was handled in the game, but I can understand why other devlelopers chose to implement it the way that they did. "I also understand why people get enjoyment out of the franchise."

Talking down to people bragging about how long you have been doing a particular craft is not something a good designer would do. A good designer would want to share his knowledge in a helpful way and not explain things with such a pompus attitude. You acted like your view of things is the correct way and any other train of thought is dead wrong. Hopefully you will learn to control your temper in the future

Nophoria88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nophoria88
Member since 2010 • 410 Posts

Damn, take it to messages, no one cares who is wrong or right. Also, MARIO doesn't feel different

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

[QUOTE="DoctorWho88"] Well this is a heated debateglitch2424

Seriously, we're comparing innovation of 2D Mario to Uncharted? How about compare what the 3D Mario's did differently (in the same console generation no less)rather than the 2D ones that were releasing at a time when you could add just about anything at that point and call it innovative.