_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

I've heard this phrase a couple of times, and it has me a bit worried. I am not too tech savvy, but I do know that the PS4 supposedly will "last" for 4-5 years (give or take a year?).

It took a while before we started seeing some truly beautiful-looking games for the Ps3. I remember one of the earliest FIFA-games had pretty good graphics and made the gameplay choppy. The next iteration removed the "too good" graphics and replaced it with a more frame-rate friendly. "The Last of Us" is a great example of what the console was capable of.

Now, with the PS4 celebrating year one, I've heard the phrased being used with games already.
Should I worry that the developers speak of maxing out the console already after year one, or is this
over-exageration from the devs to advertise the game?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

who knows, there isn't as much optimising to be done with the ps4 compared to the ps3, its just under powered.

Noblecowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Noblecowboy
Member since 2014 • 44 Posts

Don't worry about it; let the devs worry about this. Lol. The devs will continue to optimize the games on the PS4 as much as they can. That's why updates are constantly being downloaded for the games. Some updates fixes bugs while other updates improve performance. You won't have 10fps experience on the PS4 for the shelf life of the PS4 if that's what you are worried about. You can't change the main hardware on the PS4 so it's much easier for devs to optimize games for a good gaming experience.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _Judas_

Yeah, I understand. I guess I want the PS4 to "grow" for a period and "remain" longer. Although "The Witcher 3" might end up being a fantastic game, I don't want it to be "the end". I'll let the devs worry about it, sure -- I just hope the PS4's library will evolve and prosper.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Dude, this is the day and age where you have to question everything that you read and hear, whether it's good or bad! How credible is the source, what is their agenda and who are these so-called experts making these statements?

It's great that we live in a time where we all can express our opinions, but don't get an opinion confused with actual facts.

Well just have to wait and see what the PS4 can do, but have fun during the process.

Noblecowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Noblecowboy

@_Judas_: Games are still evolving on the PS4. Graphic wise, I am satisfied with the graphics on the PS4; it may not be a GTX 970 on the PC, but some games look phenomenal on a giant screen TV. I wouldn't mind seeing games looking similar and better throughout the shelf life of the PS4. Also, it seems that many of the games are being rushed out as beta to meet a deadline. I'm pretty sure some of the games can look better and perform better if there was no deadline. Library wise, there are plenty of good games on the PS4 and the PS4 has only been out for like a year. The PS3 didn't really have a good library of games until the middle of its shelf life. 2015 looks even more promising for the PS4 with all the upcoming games. Plus, Sony said the PS4 will have a shelf life of 10 years so that is reassuring to know.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By _Judas_

@MarcRecon: I am aware of what times we are living in :p I am merely seeking the opinions and assurances from my fellow Gamespoters :) If this thesis is the truth : the PS4 is close to being maxed out -- I then feel a bit disappointed. NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG -- there can still be made plenty of amazing games, I just hoped the PS4 took longer to "max out" thus, ever so slightly, prolonging the console. What do you feel? If "The Witcher 3" is the graphically best game that can be produced on the PS4, how does that make you feel? I am not questioning the quality of the game, just the prosperity of the PS4, and I do want it to prosper.

@noblecowboy : I remain positive to 2015. Hopefully it will be a year blessed with man great games and game reveals :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

For starters I woud state that "maxing out a console" is nothing but marketing Bull. I am willing to bet that early game Development on prior consoles also usually used most if not all of the hardware to how far it could take it, but engines evolve and new ways of rendering shows up.

So yeah the PS4 will have better looking games, and better running games, it has Jack shit to do with "maxing out" the console, but rather optimizing any given game engine.

trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#9 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts

I just want Team ICO to release something.

What they did with Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2, that game truly maxed out the graphics and how big a game can be. It blows that we've been waiting for The Last Guardian for so long, and who knows if it's even a PS3 game anymore.

At this point I almost just want to see a Shadow of the Colossus 2 on the PS4. Team ICO could make that game massive and beautiful.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Games will obviously get better over time on them, but the machines aren't that powerful so don't be expecting things to move past graphics that you'd seen a few years ago produced by pc's with things like crysis 3.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I still think PS3 games look great, this gen they should focus more on the gameplay and try to evolve that.

Noblecowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Noblecowboy

@BattleSpectre I do agree that devs should focus on the gameplay as much as they do with the graphics. PS3 vs PS4 graphics may not be like night and day, but it's still a major improvement. I first didn't notice the huge difference right away, but the clarity, textures, lightning, 1080p resolution, etc. on the PS4 makes it look like I was playing through a blurry, dirty window on the PS3. To me, graphics also affect the overall gaming experience.