LA Noire ending *complete spoilers*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

So does anyone else feel completely gyped by the ending of LA Noire, I love almost the entire game, interesting story twists and development with lots of colorful chararcters, and then it just felt like the last 30 minutes of the game was like Team Bondi just went "oh crap, this thing is due tomorrow, lets make the ending as completely anti climactic as possible" I mean they spent the whole game building up Phelps as a character and trying to show how important his job was to him and his personal and moral beliefs and then its like they just said "f*** it!" and opted out for a BS cliche ending in which nothing was resolved..

I was expecting some grandiose gunfight/exit with corrupt cops and him going down in the line of duty or something along the lines of a Noir/Gangster film, but instead I'm left with this turd ending that had absolutely no emotion or meaning and the end villain was introduced and killed in the same scene.. I mean what the hell. I'm totally fine with Cole dying, but the way they killed him off just gave such a feeling that this amazing story and forgot to give it an ending..

So disapointed, it was on the verge of the perfect merging of video games and film, only to have it stripped of its credibility with a single mission..

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I agree with you completely. The ending was a MAJOR letdown. But let me back up first.

The first part of the story that really had me aggravated was when Cole slept with the German singer (I can't recall her name at the moment). Then the next thing you know we see his wife angry and him and kicking him out of the house. At this point, why should I care about her? I've never been introduced to Phelp's wife once and now all of a sudden I'm supposed to feel bad for her? I was also thinking, in plainest terms, WTF? Here Cole is this righteous, good detective who is trying to help make the world a better place. And the next thing I know is all of a sudden he is sleeping with someone other than his wife. Where did this woman come from? What was her relationship to Cole prior to their night together? We are left no answer.

Then, concerning the ending, as I will reiterate it was shockingly poor, in my humble opinion. While the moments playing as Jack leading up to the finale I thought were good and intriguing (a lot of it having to do with the corruption of the department), the ending left me more than perplexed. Tex was traumatized by the war, but as far as I know his burning of houses had no connection to the previous case, in which the man Leland more was part of a scheme to construct houses, then burn them down and collect the insurance money.This to me didn't make much sense.

Cole's death (which I had a feeling was coming anyway) was also very unsatisfying. While Cole was swept away by the waters in the sewers to his death, Ihad having a hard time enjoying the ending. His funeral in particular was very unsatisfying as 1) I felt like the corruption I had been fighting against all game was still present and that I had not been rewarded for my work, 2) I didn't get to go after any of these people in the police force I knew were corrupt and 3) that jerk Roy Earle was giving a speech about how Cole was a great person, while days before he had threatened Cole (and then later Cole told him to "shut his f***ing mouth). This just aggravated me to no end.

Needless to say, the ending was a major letdown.

TwiddleChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TwiddleChimp
Member since 2011 • 1878 Posts

The first part of the story that really had me aggravated was when Cole slept with the German singer (I can't recall her name at the moment). Then the next thing you know we see his wife angry and him and kicking him out of the house. At this point, why should I care about her? I've never been introduced to Phelp's wife once and now all of a sudden I'm supposed to feel bad for her? I was also thinking, in plainest terms, WTF? Here Cole is this righteous, good detective who is trying to help make the world a better place. And the next thing I know is all of a sudden he is sleeping with someone other than his wife. Where did this woman come from? What was her relationship to Cole prior to their night together? We are left no answer.

Vari3ty

Yeah, that whole thing felt a little forced. The story just went downhill from there.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#4 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

My only disappointment to the ending was the gameplay segment that led up to it, there was an average couple of shootouts and that was it. But I didn't mind the actual ending. In fact I liked how the game concluded.

chewy130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chewy130
Member since 2006 • 643 Posts

Yeah, I totally agree. It was evident from the quality of the cutscenes and the environments of the last level that they rushed it. I remember watching the cutscene before they entered the tunnel and how the voice quality sounded like garbage and the characters moved like blocky robots.

chewy130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chewy130
Member since 2006 • 643 Posts

I honestly thhink the developers were like " F it, msot players wont even make it to the end so lets jsut do a half ass job on it. Who cares if the story has a ton of plot-holes".