Keeping PS3 from over heating

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Haseokicksass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 Haseokicksass
Member since 2006 • 4604 Posts

I got the YLOD on Thursday, and Sony told me it was probaly because of over heating. I dont wnat this problem to happen again, so I need to do everythign I can to keep the new or repaired PS3 that I will soon get from over heating.

Here are my questions.

1. Does keeping things plugged into the USB ports contribute to over heating? I had 2 things plugged in. A recharging headset and the light on my vertical stand.

2. Will my verticle stand cover any vents or disrupt them in anyway?

3. My PS3 is kept behind my TV, about a foot away from the wall with nothign covering its sides. IS this a good place to keep it?

4. About how many hours a day od you guys play your PS3's? How many hours od you think is too much?

I always thought that the PS3 was very reliable and was impossible to over heat ( not impossible, you know what I meen), but now Im getting kind of worried. I would DIE if this happened again.

pokerchamp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 pokerchamp1
Member since 2005 • 1419 Posts
I feel your pain. Mine kinda burnt out on me today too. :( I'm going to let it cool off overnight, and then try it in the morning.
mamkem6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mamkem6
Member since 2007 • 1457 Posts

Well TV also emits haet especially lcd and plasma, so the air around tv is also heated so if your ps3 is behind tv - something like this, put it on another place

Haseokicksass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Haseokicksass

I have 1 more place to put it. Its like that spot that is left of that TV ( in the picture), is that a better spot? Or is that too enclosed ?

mamkem6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mamkem6

Well my is also in cabinet. Left of ps3 is about 6-7cm from wall, right is about 15-20cm, behind is open space because cables are going out, in front is open space because I open glass doors when playing, height is about 50 cm.

where I live is about 35 Celsius degrees during summer so i always put a table fan in front of ps3 about 30-40cm in front of ps3 so it can blow fresh air around ps3 and into front ps3 vents ( below disc tray )

Ihuntmilfs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ihuntmilfs
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
According to the picture that looks like a good spot your ps3 wont be in a condensed area you'll should also think about getting a NYKO intercooler it has five fans and you can adjust the speeds to help prevent over heating and enable you to play longer.
mamkem6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mamkem6

The fan is in front of vents 1 and 2 and the most heat is coming from vent 3 so that side of ps3 need room

Vent 4 is the hottest one and when you blow air with your mouth into vent 1 you will feel it comming out of vent 4, (3 little) if you put your hand there

Haseokicksass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Haseokicksass
Are intercoolers loud? Do they look stupid? Is there any chance that they might do harm to my PS3 instead of help?
mamkem6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mamkem6

Well they can harm if they are not working properly so they disrupt airflow.

For me is better to direct strong fan into PS3 because it gives mass volume of fresh air around PS3.

My PS3 fans are not working so hard and it is not heating like when I was not using the fan.

Haseokicksass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Haseokicksass
I just moved my PS3 to the top of my dresser. its twice as high as my TV stand, so I set it horizontaly, but now every vent has room, and the TV wont be giving off hot air to bother it. So, does plugging things into the USB ports help the PS3 over heat? I have this thing that recharges 2 controllrs with one USB port, and was wondering if this would cause the PS3 to over heat.
Ihuntmilfs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ihuntmilfs
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Are intercoolers loud? Do they look stupid? Is there any chance that they might do harm to my PS3 instead of help?Haseokicksass

The whole point of the intercooler is to blow away heat from your PS3 and the (faster you adjust) the speed the louder the intercooler last but not least, do they look stupid? i'll leave that up to you too judge.

mamkem6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mamkem6
Well it should not cause overheating because USB ports are not using any processors when they charging controllers. Processors and AC to DC converter are main heat distributors
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
The best thing is have the console sitting in a open area. I have my PS3 standing vertical on top of my TV hutch instead of in one of the shelves. By doing this I never worry about overheating and I haven't turned my system off in months. I don't even need a cooler of any kind. There is a ceiling fan running all the time in the room where the system is though.
danome01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 danome01
Member since 2008 • 211 Posts
keep it vertical. it stays cooler.
kreestoph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kreestoph
Member since 2007 • 442 Posts
alot of people have said this, but i'll say it again, stand it vertically. and vacuum the dust out of the vents every now and then.
kreemghandour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 kreemghandour
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts
I think setting the PS3 vertically is better then horizontally. Heat rises faster and vertically it can just rise faster with a straight formation instaled of horizontal where it may be slower for the heat to come out imo.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

If your tv cabinet is similar to mine, leave the glass open. I tried playing it closed. After just an hour my PS3 is scorching hot. Hehe.

hippnfunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 hippnfunk
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts

I have a ps3 and my is next to my tv and cupboard each 5 cm apart. Mine is in the shade though. I sometimes leave it on or play on it 7 hours straight. It gets a bit hot but i leave it for five minutes and it cools down. It never burns or overheats.

A little tip, dont leav it in class cabinets or enclosed areas. It will get much hotter!

Ithrewupfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ithrewupfire
Member since 2008 • 129 Posts
What kind of ps3 do you have? cause ive read that early 60gb and 20gb are the ones that expirience this problem more frequently. I would leave it vertically, with no coolers and in an open area.
Haseokicksass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Haseokicksass
I have a 60GB from launch. Do you guys think its safe for me to set it up verticly? I had it verticly on my TV stand, but the TV stand was only about a foot off the ground, my dresser is about 4 feet off the ground. I have a verticle stand for my PS3, and that helps, but Im still afraid of it falling. And wont a couple air vents be covered if I set it verticly? The ones near the Hardrive opening..
Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

I'm not too sure abouth keepign it vertical. I tried that once and the bottom of the PS3 got really friggin' hot. The surface of the shelf that it's on also got pretty warmed up. I was worried because that's where the HDD is and I don't want any damage to get done to that.

I honestly don't know where to keep it either. I've grown acustom to playing for no more than 2 hours. My PS3 gets extremly hot and I start to get worried.

itwiz90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 itwiz90
Member since 2003 • 3037 Posts

I got the YLOD on Thursday, and Sony told me it was probaly because of over heating. I dont wnat this problem to happen again, so I need to do everythign I can to keep the new or repaired PS3 that I will soon get from over heating.

Here are my questions.

1. Does keeping things plugged into the USB ports contribute to over heating? I had 2 things plugged in. A recharging headset and the light on my vertical stand.

3. My PS3 is kept behind my TV, about a foot away from the wall with nothign covering its sides. IS this a good place to keep it?

4. About how many hours a day od you guys play your PS3's? How many hours od you think is too much?

I always thought that the PS3 was very reliable and was impossible to over heat ( not impossible, you know what I meen), but now Im getting kind of worried. I would DIE if this happened again.

Haseokicksass

YOu PS3 requires good airflow. What type of TV di you have it sitting behind? Does thqa TV emit a rgeat amount of heat, if so move your PS3. The USB doesnot generate enough heat to warrant overheating, overheating usually comes from:

1) Poor airflow

2) Using the console over a great deal of time (6 - 8 hrs)

3) Poor maintainence (vents blocked by dust)

Even in an A/C environment you need a small fan to push the air arounf the unit.

only play on it up to 4hrs max and not during the heat of the day during the summer (12 - 4:30pm).

Keep the vents clear at all times, vacuum regularly.

Turn you system completely off after shutting it down remotely (turn off red light in front, by using toggle switch in the back)

Remember limit your playing time especially during the heat of the day during the summer months, and your system should last.

8)

SollidSnake_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 SollidSnake_
Member since 2008 • 2991 Posts

Here are my questions.

Haseokicksass

ylod, lol. well best solution? turn a big fan towards your ps3, problem solved ;)

Haseokicksass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Haseokicksass
Ive never vaccumed my air vents before. Is it really that important? Is there any risk of moving something out of place or sucking somthing important out? Now I have a fan left of the PS3, I think that should be able to keep the PS3's air cold.
Ithrewupfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ithrewupfire
Member since 2008 • 129 Posts

well since u dont want to keep it vertical I would suggest you to get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-NOTEBOOK-COOLER-USB-Powered-Notebook/dp/B0000BVYTV/ref=pd_sim_e_2

ive used one a couple of times with my ps3 and it keeps it cool, i think its a good solution but u decide.

Haseokicksass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Haseokicksass

Im keepign it verticle now. Hopfully this will be my last question.

Am I suppost to leave the PS3 on standby or off? I usualy leave it on standby, but I keep getting diffrent awnsers.

horseboyken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 horseboyken
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Yeah, mine quit working to the point i cant get my RDR out of it I had to send it to a 3rd party in Texas to fix it maybe 2.5 hours of play and .5 of rest should be good I was 3-5 hours of playing but I could not stop the game was that good, good luck
Axcalay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#28 Axcalay
Member since 2008 • 197 Posts

My first PS3 died after about 2 months after I bought it. This was also because if overheating. 2 years on my new ps3 is in the same place and has never overheated , so I beleive it just boils down to a faulty system. My Ps3 is horizontal about 8 cm from the wall lol and is surrounded by other consoles plus I can sometimes play for up to 12 hours and then watch a movie and then play some more, listen to music and it's like the fan doesn't even break a sweat. It's the way their made.

FLYEboi50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 FLYEboi50
Member since 2007 • 518 Posts
Are intercoolers loud? Do they look stupid? Is there any chance that they might do harm to my PS3 instead of help?Haseokicksass
i bought one and it ended up just making the room i was playing in 10 degrees hotter and the ps3 was still getting hot....-___- (also they are pretty loud) my advice is to turn on the fan in the room you are playing in or have a window or door open. the heat will escape giving your ps3 a constant air flow. it will still get hot but it won't burn out unless you don't dust it out every now and then.
lion640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lion640
Member since 2006 • 46 Posts
try a nyko intercooler
bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts

Trade it in for a slim... if they give you back the same ps3... it will happen again... whats happening is the ps3 is getting so hot thesauder is melting... the slim has a better design...