Is there any news on a 1tb PS4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

supposedly there were rumors about a 1 tera bite HDD PS4 more than 2 months ago.

M$ is already coming out with a 1T X1, so of course there should be a 1T PS4 too especially when there has been rumors before anyone knew about the X1 1T HDD.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@Nengo_Flow: Why would you want a 1TB console when you can very easily change the HDD in your PS4 ? It's super easy and you can even choose which kind of HDD you want, I purchased a 1 TB SSS ( semi solid state ) and it took me perhaps 15 min to change the HDD and the saved game data.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nengo_Flow

@raugutcon said:

@Nengo_Flow: Why would you want a 1TB console when you can very easily change the HDD in your PS4 ? It's super easy and you can even choose which kind of HDD you want, I purchased a 1 TB SSS ( semi solid state ) and it took me perhaps 15 min to change the HDD and the saved game data.

cuz im not tech savy, and I saw a video comparing highter HDD for PS4 and most of them made games load slower.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Nengo_Flow:

There will probably be a 1TB COD:AW bundle just like MS has with the X1 or another game.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

From what I hear the solid state HD's only shave 2-3 seconds off load times. Apparently the PS4 is not optimized to use them. Could this be changed? Idk.

We're probably in the same boat Nengo Flow. I don't trust non-Nintendo launch consoles so I'm waiting for Sony to drop it's new SKU on us for the Holidays. It's a fact that Sony applied to the FCC for a new model in May and it will have an improved Wi-Fi antenna. What we don't know is will the HD be increased? Probably, considering the difference between the price of a 500gb and a 1 TB HD is about only $20. And you know Sony would be getting a deal for buying in bulk.

I'd expect an announcement by the end of October. Diablo 3: UE is calling my name.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nengo_Flow

@GTR12 said:

@Nengo_Flow:

There will probably be a 1TB COD:AW bundle just like MS has with the X1 or another game.

no. there cant be a COD 1T PS4 bundle, becuz M$ has the rights to promoting COD and doing COD bundles.

Just like Sony has the rights to doing a Destiny bundle and doing Destiny commercial/advertisements.

Gaming Industry 101 son

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

@raugutcon said:

cuz im not tech savy, and I saw a video comparing highter HDD for PS4 and most of them made games load slower.

Strange, I put a Samsung 2TB 5400rpm drive in and that hasn't made games load slower. In fact I noticed a slight speed increase. The video is full of it, I would go either a 1TB SSHD or the Samsung 2TB. And changing it does not void your warranty.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

You don't need to be tech Savvy to change it, it's as simple as slipping a cover off and unscrewing the old one sticking the new one in and there you go, you do have to put the software off of sonys website but it's as simple as sticking it on a usb stick and your done, 1tb doesn't even seem enough if you consider games going to be around 40-50gb, I'm thinking of getting the 2tb one just to be on the safe side.

seriously tho I'm expecting there to be one to come out for Christmas

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTR12

@Nengo_Flow said:

@GTR12 said:

@Nengo_Flow:

no. there cant be a COD 1T PS4 bundle, becuz M$ has the rights to promoting COD and doing COD bundles.

Just like Sony has the rights to doing a Destiny bundle and doing Destiny commercial/advertisements.

Gaming Industry 101 son

I never mentioned the word "promoting", having a PS4 with a 1TB HDD and with COD for example is not against the rights, Sony don't have to advertise at all, they just put a black console saying "new with 1TB HDD and COD: AW", that is not promoting the game at all, it is promoting their 1TB console.

Just adding COD to the bundle and NOT advertising the game but a bigger console is perfectly legal.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Nengo, I´m the absolut least tech savy person you can imagine, when it comes to technology if any of my high tech stuff begins ti malfunction I want to cry. Changing the disc is so easy that even my 10 year old can do it. Heck, if I´m high tech impaired and was able to do it you can do it. And no, games don´t delay in loading, that´s not true, you´ll spend maybe 120-140 dollars in the HDD ( depending upon Brand, capacity and type, SSDs cost more ), you don´t need to wait for Sony to come with a higher capacity console ( which ends up being a limited edition or some sort of crap like that ). It´s more complicated to change the HDD in the PS3 than it is in the PS4 ( also changed the HDD in my PS3, from 160 GB it went up to 500, guess from where the HDD came from, yup, from the PS4 ! ).

AzNaLaN15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 AzNaLaN15
Member since 2003 • 73 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

@GTR12 said:

@Nengo_Flow:

Gaming Industry 101 son

I never mentioned the word "promoting", having a PS4 with a 1TB HDD and with COD for example is not against the rights, Sony don't have to advertise at all, they just put a black console saying "new with 1TB HDD and COD: AW", that is not promoting the game at all, it is promoting their 1TB console.

Just adding COD to the bundle and NOT advertising the game but a bigger console is perfectly legal.

Doesn't the bundle mean having the CoD paint on the system itself like the M$ bundle?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GTR12

@AzNaLaN15:

I never said paint the system in COD colours, all I said was include COD in a "new and improved 1TB PS4"

I'm not advertising COD in anyway, I'm advertising the PS4 which is perfectly legal and just including COD.

Example, "A NEW AND IMPROVED 1TB PS4, with COD included" Sony would be highlighting the strengths of the PS4 and just giving a free game or discounted game.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Boddicker

Sony needs to announce this already so I can atleast preorder it.

Diablo 3:UEE is calling my name and I'm tired of putting money into my PS3.

*goes back to playing Rogue Legacy*

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Eventually Playstation 4 consoles with larger HDD's will be released. The PS3 console came in 20GB/60BG/40GB/80GB/160GB for the first phat versions. Then Slim 120GB/160GB/250GB/320GB finally the top loader superslim PS3 250GB/500GB HDD's

So without a doubt PS4 will eventually be coming with larger HDD's 1TB and 2TB it is just a matter of time. Even though you can change the HDD size yourself. Third parties even released HDD upgrade kits for the PS3. Same will be with the PS4.

So be patient as slimline PS4 with larger HDD's will be coming. The Xbox one is kinda stuck since that 500GB HDD is not user upgradeable unlike the 500GB PS4, finally The PS4 gives you 407GB of usable HDD space. Xbox one only gives you 378GB of usable HDD space.

So Xbox One had to increase the HDD to 1TB sooner. As there 500GB is less than PS4 and is not user replaceable without voiding the warranty. So eventually larger HDD's will be coming to PS4 at some point. PS3 has had 9 official HDD sizes. PS4 have more official SKU's

conals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 conals
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Depending on the price of a potential 1TB console I'd probably just opt to buy a 1 or 2TB hdd separately. I'm not tech savvy (at least when it comes to taking things apart etc.) but I had no issues whatsoever upgrading to 2TB and managed to re-use the original PS4 hdd as a portable 500GB drive which is handy. I've noticed no loading increases (or decreases) so I wouldn't be overly concerned in that regard. The console should have been launched with 1TB as standard imo but the solution is inexpensive and easy enough to not be a major issue.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

A 500 GB hard drive for the ps4 is beyond ridiculous especially considering the mandatory game downloads and considering how fast my 500 GB ps3 filled up. Sony must come out with a 1 TB hard drive model as soon as possible. An additional $70 hard drive upgrade is a big expense for a $400 system. There are plenty of customers like myself holding off from buying the ps4 because of the low 500 GB hard drive. Sony would sell way more by improving the hard drive.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

thought I'd message again because I remembered way back when these consoles were announced and heard about DRM and then hearing about both will have 500gb and right then saying no way is 500gb enough if your thinking about DRM or making people install the full game, it's just not enough, and now were seeing it, a X1 already coming out with better storage and i guarantee a PS4 will be out for Christmas which is a 1tb

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

@BH14 said:

A 500 GB hard drive for the ps4 is beyond ridiculous especially considering the mandatory game downloads and considering how fast my 500 GB ps3 filled up. Sony must come out with a 1 TB hard drive model as soon as possible. An additional $70 hard drive upgrade is a big expense for a $400 system. There are plenty of customers like myself holding off from buying the ps4 because of the low 500 GB hard drive. Sony would sell way more by improving the hard drive.

Considering they are doing fantastic as is on PS4 sales I doubt it would make that much of a difference.. Also, I would assume it is far to early for a price drop, so a 1tb model would probably be 450-500.. It is so easy to swap hard drives (in general too) on the PS4 people really have no excuse.

I got a 1tb WD HDD for ~50 bucks on a newegg sale a few months back.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

@MethodManFTW said:

@BH14 said:

Considering they are doing fantastic as is on PS4 sales I doubt it would make that much of a difference.. Also, I would assume it is far to early for a price drop, so a 1tb model would probably be 450-500.. It is so easy to swap hard drives (in general too) on the PS4 people really have no excuse.

I gotta believe that many people think 500GB is way too low of a hard drive and they are holding off from buying it. You may have gotten a special deal a few month back on newegg for around $50 but on newegg site as of right now, a WD 1TB hard drive is $69.99..... Samsung $69.99, Toshiba $64.99, etc. I don't wanna spend an extra $70 on top of the $400 system. Adding the 1 TB hard drive is so necessary it really is a must expense. As for installing the hard drive, I think everyone can easily do that. I think a 1 TB playstation 4 will happen very soon. They better not increase the price for it. No reason to have a $400 500GB version and a more expensive 1 TB version. I believe there will be a 1 TB version bundle with game very soon for $400. Black Friday?

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Upgrading the HDD was a pain in the genitals with the PS3. The screws were utter crap and easily stripped both times I did it. It's not necessarily the quick and easy job some people would tell you it is. Perhaps they just got lucky. I'm hoping Sony will stop being cheap and release at least a 1TB SKU soonish, before Bloodborne.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Boddicker

@Floppy_Jim said:

Upgrading the HDD was a pain in the genitals with the PS3. The screws were utter crap and easily stripped both times I did it. It's not necessarily the quick and easy job some people would tell you it is. Perhaps they just got lucky. I'm hoping Sony will stop being cheap and release at least a 1TB SKU soonish, before Bloodborne.

All signs are pointing to them releasing a new SKU for the holidays. I hope it comes bundled with a year PS+ and a free game download OF OUR CHOICE.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

@Boddicker said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

All signs are pointing to them releasing a new SKU for the holidays. I hope it comes bundled with a year PS+ and a free game download OF OUR CHOICE.

A nice idea but one dreaded word resonates in my brain:

Knack

KNACK

KNACK

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MethodManFTW

@Floppy_Jim said:

Yeah, I changed the hard drive on my OG PS3 and what was a pain because of shit screws. Sony could not of made it easier to change the hard drive on the PS4 though.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5107/~/upgrade-ps4-hdd

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MethodManFTW

@BH14 said:

@MethodManFTW said:

@BH14 said:

I gotta believe that many people think 500GB is way too low of a hard drive and they are holding off from buying it. You may have gotten a special deal a few month back on newegg for around $50 but on newegg site as of right now, a WD 1TB hard drive is $69.99..... Samsung $69.99, Toshiba $64.99, etc. I don't wanna spend an extra $70 on top of the $400 system. Adding the 1 TB hard drive is so necessary it really is a must expense. As for installing the hard drive, I think everyone can easily do that. I think a 1 TB playstation 4 will happen very soon. They better not increase the price for it. No reason to have a $400 500GB version and a more expensive 1 TB version. I believe there will be a 1 TB version bundle with game very soon for $400. Black Friday?

yeah it was on sale, newegg, tigerdirect, and to a lesser extent, amazon all have sales on different pc components every day.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Boddicker

@Floppy_Jim said:

@Boddicker said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

A nice idea but one dreaded word resonates in my brain:

Knack

KNACK

KNACK

Naaaaaaaaah. There's no way Sony would force that steaming pile down our throat again.

The X1 had a similar promotion about a month or two ago but I don't remember if it was for a physical copy or a DD of any game available at that time (not much).