Is "The Last of Us" overrated?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Farty_Fartsalot
Farty_Fartsalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Farty_Fartsalot
Member since 2013 • 192 Posts
Thoughts? I think it's praise was warranted but I suppose some wouldn't agree with me.
marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I think it's a great game. Reminds me a little bit like Uncharted. But I like Uncharted a little more. I was expecting a 9/10 but really 8/10 isn't that bad either.

It deserved all the pre release hype. Naughty dog knows how to produce games.

Supes_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Supes_24
Member since 2013 • 87 Posts
[QUOTE="Farty_Fartsalot"]Thoughts? I think it's praise was warranted but I suppose some wouldn't agree with me.

Overrated? Heck no man! This is one of, if not the nest game I've played this generation. Graphics, voice acting, character development, story, emotions, and attachment to characters. I've literally never felt attached to two characters before, ever! And I'm 33 and been gaming since the Atari my man.
Bluette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bluette
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Definitely not overrated, the game was full of suspense, the story never got dull and I didn't want to let go of the remote until it was over. And like the person above said, the character development really was amazing, I have never loved characters of a game this much, and their actions were very realistic. We need more games like it =)
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Looks a lot like Uncharted for me to care - might get it once it hits the bargain bin.
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

No way! It would be great for gaming if all games could be made great like The Last of Us. 

ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
I think it deserves all the praise.
i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 i_noseworthy
Member since 2003 • 1585 Posts
Worth all the praise, although I'd say it took a while for that to sink in for me. When I first finished it, I was disappointed by the ending. Not disappointed, maybe just let down. I won't state why obviously. Then a couple of days later, I was STILL thinking about the entire game. And I realized the end never mattered. After that, settling in and playing again, all of the game's major events had more... weight. I've never played such an emotional game before, and I've definitely never experienced a game where a second play-through made me think not only differently, but even more about the game's events than before. I love this game.
porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

Looks a lot like Uncharted for me to care - might get it once it hits the bargain bin. Fightingfan

I'd like to say that I admire your patience but you're just thinking small . . . Then again you might get lucky on Black Friday!

This game may share the same assets and talented devs as an Uncharted game but it's a completely different animal with better combat and a stronger story . . . you're JUST, PLAIN DENYING YOURSELF. Get over yourself and enjoy :roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-58e448fd89d82
deactivated-58e448fd89d82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-58e448fd89d82
Member since 2010 • 4494 Posts

Overrated, still prefer Silent Hill over this.....

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Yeah, it's somewhat overrated.  There were a few little things that got annoying.  The clickers seemingly had no pattern most of the time and would randomly turn around for no reason to kill you.  There was a big disconnect between gameplay and AI, as Ellie would run around and talk while trying to avoid clickers while all I would do is accidently move a little too fast and die.  The friendly AI always gets in the way and doesn't move out of the way, which since they can't die wouldn't be an issue.

I also found a lot of the beginning of the game to be kind of boring, and not until fighting human enemies (not the first encounter against humans) did the game begin to pick up and not until a while after that did the enemy AI seem to actually think.

I'd still give the game between an 8 and 8.5 (there are quite a few things I like about the game), but it's definitely not a 10.

Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts
I feel it brought life back to a genre of gaming that was starting to become stale. I feel like Tomb Raider was a great game as well but if you play TLOU it just blows it out of the water. Naughty Dog are VERY talented and are the most consistent video game developer.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I would say it was. It was a good game, but it had some glaring problems that really took you out of the experience. It also felt dragged out at times, where certain sequences were just too long or could have been bypassed completely.

pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pickettsticket
Member since 2012 • 193 Posts

No, i have never played a game and got so invested in characters as i did playing TLoU

visualy it is stunning, vocie acting is the best ive seen, game play is fantastic and thoroughly enjoyable, It has fear factor but also wow factors, and most importantly the story invoked so many emotions that you feel mentally drained having experienced it.

Best game i have played behind the MGS series.

Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#15 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts

Opinions are opinions, but absolute no for me. One of the best EVER. Coming from a guy (me) who didn't enjoy the game very much at first.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

no its not overeated.

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

I'd give it a 9.5, so no I don't think its overrated. It's arguably the best game of the generation, second only to MGS4.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
It's a great game, but it's a bit overrated.
krayzieE99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 krayzieE99
Member since 2010 • 544 Posts
Looks a lot like Uncharted for me to care - might get it once it hits the bargain bin. Fightingfan
TLOU is nothing like uncharted.
krayzieE99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 krayzieE99
Member since 2010 • 544 Posts
[QUOTE="Supes_24"][QUOTE="Farty_Fartsalot"]Thoughts? I think it's praise was warranted but I suppose some wouldn't agree with me.

Overrated? Heck no man! This is one of, if not the nest game I've played this generation. Graphics, voice acting, character development, story, emotions, and attachment to characters. I've literally never felt attached to two characters before, ever! And I'm 33 and been gaming since the Atari my man.

I feel exactly the same dude. This was the first game to ever make me care for a video game character. I will destroy anybody in my way. ELLIE....i'm coming for you!!!!!
DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

It makes my Top Ten this gen, but it's towards the bottom of it. It's a classic for sure.

Azzurri22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Azzurri22
Member since 2011 • 168 Posts

It really isn't much like Uncharted at all, other than the class leading graphics and ridiculously high production values, but that's to be expected as it's from the same developer. The gameplay and tone are significantly different.

You need to stop being lazy and ignorant, and perhaps actually read a few reviews. Not one decent review states it's too similar to Uncharted, you only hear that 'Uncharted with zombies' crap from trolls.

On topic...No, not overrated in the slightest. Game of the generation in my opinion.

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Looks a lot like Uncharted for me to care - might get it once it hits the bargain bin. Azzurri22

It really isn't much like Uncharted at all, other than the class leading graphics and ridiculously high production values, but that's to be expected as it's from the same developer. The gameplay and tone are significantly different.

You need to stop being lazy and ignorant, and perhaps actually read a few reviews. Not one decent review states it's too similar to Uncharted, you only hear that 'Uncharted with zombies' crap from trolls.

On topic...No, not overrated in the slightest. Game of the generation in my opinion.

The gameplay is similar to Uncharted. The way the characters move (in a more realistic fashion than most shooters) is similar, and the targetting is very similar. Yeah the tone and story and crafting is different though.

Azzurri22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Azzurri22
Member since 2011 • 168 Posts

[QUOTE="Azzurri22"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Looks a lot like Uncharted for me to care - might get it once it hits the bargain bin. DaRq_MiNoS

The gameplay is similar to Uncharted. The way the characters move (in a more realistic fashion than most shooters) is similar, and the targetting is very similar. Yeah the tone and story and crafting is different though.

I can agree that the movement is similar and perhaps the targetting, although it is a lot looser with a lot more kick back for added realism and tension, but gameplay isn't dictated solely by movement and targetting. The gameplay in general really isn't too similar at all. Uncharted is a straightforward cover shooter, whilst TLoU is much more slow paced, stealthy and survival-esque, particularly on the higher difficulties.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Its presentation is superb - story, music, acting, pacing are virtually flawless.  My only criticisms lie with the gameplay, but they are slight and hardly worth mentioning.  The mechanics are unique but not anything I'll get wrapped up in quite like other genres.

Like I've said before, I don't doubt that TLOU will win many GOTY awards as it rightfully should (I'll likely even vote for it), but I'll still personally prefer Bioshock Infinite.

Avatar image for InstantKlassick
InstantKlassick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 InstantKlassick
Member since 2010 • 1161 Posts

This!

big_boss1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 big_boss1988
Member since 2008 • 1241 Posts

Thoughts? I think it's praise was warranted but I suppose some wouldn't agree with me. Farty_Fartsalot

no, it's not. on the contrary it's underated.

0Hamburgher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 0Hamburgher
Member since 2010 • 957 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Looks a lot like Uncharted for me to care - might get it once it hits the bargain bin. Azzurri22

I know a couple guys who loved the game and said it was worth full price- and they still said that it was like uncharted.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts
[QUOTE="Azzurri22"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Looks a lot like Uncharted for me to care - might get it once it hits the bargain bin. 0Hamburgher

I know a couple guys who loved the game and said it was worth full price- and they still said that it was like uncharted.

It's using the same engine, more or less. And there are noticeable similarities and even some assets were reused for TLOU. But the games are wholly different in function.
badlalo59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 badlalo59
Member since 2007 • 901 Posts

Overated? Not in the slightest. One of the best games you'll ever play. If I got 1 gripe about this game it's "Listening mode". Turn that crap off and play without it.

SoulSnare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SoulSnare
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

i think its a great game, best game i played so far in these past 6 month. 

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
no its not overrated TLOS one of the best game this gen for me
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#34 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
High hype doesn't always end well, but this game was definitely an exception. Just finished it yesterday and am still thinking about it constantly. I haven't touched the multiplayer yet, and I need to give my mind a break before playing through it again. But, man, it was something else.
Je5usPiece

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Je5usPiece
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts
It lives up to its praises in my opinion, I honestly can't find anything wrong with the game, but I'm also not that critical on games.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#36 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I think it deserves all the praise.ez_moneymaker
Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
It's is a great story. Character development is second to none, story keeps you entertained, exciting to the finish. The gameplay, however, is where these game tend to lack. They rely on the amazingness of the story and characters to keep you playing (and it works really well). But I tend to like games where the gameplay is front and center rather than the story (or combine both like STALKER lol) That being said I would give it an 8/10 myself as the game is very enjoyable.
Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

People comparing this game to uncharted are either drunk or share the same ignorance with an hillbilly. Not even once when playing this game did i think ''Uncharted''. Just because the developers signatures are written on it does not make it the same, instead of watching videos, why not play a demo

XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 XenoNinja
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts
I think it is. the game had some pretty bad AI. gamespot actually gave it the score it deserved, because it definitely wasn't a 10/10 game.
pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pickettsticket
Member since 2012 • 193 Posts

I think it is. the game had some pretty bad AI. gamespot actually gave it the score it deserved, because it definitely wasn't a 10/10 game. XenoNinja

did you play it on normal? anything above that ad i found the AI to be excellent and very challenging

SSlater413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SSlater413
Member since 2008 • 514 Posts

No!  This game is worthy of all the accolades it receives.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#42 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

No it's not it deserved the praise it got.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

I dont think so.

I normally dont buy games at full MSRP, but I got the survival edition of this when it came out and it was worth every penny to me. I loved the game and thought it was great.

Avatar image for KaguyaHouraizan
KaguyaHouraizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KaguyaHouraizan
Member since 2013 • 61 Posts

ND deserves every bit of praise, but people gotta stop saying this is the best game ever.

XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 XenoNinja
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts

[QUOTE="XenoNinja"]I think it is. the game had some pretty bad AI. gamespot actually gave it the score it deserved, because it definitely wasn't a 10/10 game. pickettsticket

did you play it on normal? anything above that ad i found the AI to be excellent and very challenging

Yeah, I did. might have to give hard mode a try then.
dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts
Definitely not overrated. One of the most enthralling games I've played in a long, long time.
daveydark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 daveydark
Member since 2007 • 315 Posts

I loved the game and didnt want it to end. Just beat it yesterday and its my second favorite game i ever played right under ff8

DenzelFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DenzelFreeman
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts
This game is not over hyped at all. It really is probably the best plot driven game that has ever been created. The way they draw you in and build emotional connections with the characters is unparalleled.
flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts
I don't think so. While I won't call it the best PS3 game I've ever played, it's definitely in my top 5. The story is the best that I've experienced in any video game that I've played. Never in my life have I been so emotionally attached to characters in a story in any type of video game or movie. It's an amazing game that's for sure.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
I wouldn't say it was perfect by any means, I would say its 95/100.