is 500gb enough for you on ps4 ???

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by mooooo99 (1243 posts) -

500gb is not enough for me. i prefer to purchase physical copies but i do have a number of digital titles as well.. i have a 1tb disk in my ps3. i would rather have excess space than not enough..

#52 Posted by demonzoo (4 posts) -

@nysea said:

So let's say I hold off on a new HDD for a few months and rack up about 200GB of stuff, since we now know PS4 doesn't support external storage, how the f**k am I supposed to back up my data and get it onto the new drive?

Take a look at how it works on PS3... The PS4 will definitely provide backup and restore features as well.

For me, I'm gonna wait until the 2TB 7200rpm HDD arrives.

#54 Posted by ItsEvolution (2593 posts) -

I don't think a lot of you guys saying it'll be enough are realizing that every game will have to be installed, even if you buy the disc.

#55 Posted by biscuits3 (538 posts) -

Seeing as mandatory installs are now the case, it definitely won't be enough for me. Speaking of which: anyone know where I can find a decently priced 1 TB (or more) hard drive that will fit in my new PS4 for a decent price? I'm woefully inept at stuff like that, even though switching them out should be a cinch.

#56 Posted by clr84651 (5364 posts) -

Time will tell. Probably will upgrade my 2 PS4s down the line.

#57 Posted by phoenix5352 (57 posts) -

buying a new hdd is a proper solution for this issue, because I don't like deleting the games . so ill buy a extra 1TB hdd at the launch itself.

#58 Posted by vacaS5oi (18 posts) -

It will be more than enough for me for a couple years. I do not play that many games at once, and plan to back up saves to PS+. I currently just use a 20gb PS3 and while I do have to shuffle at times, it is not that big of a deal. It will also depend on how long it takes a game to install. If it is painfully slow, I may upgrade the HD sooner than planned.

#59 Posted by Glitter (353 posts) -

I feel it will be more than enough for me, because I will not be downloading anything onto the the PlayStation 4 that I do not need. If I can purchase the video game as a non-download, then I most likely will. If I need downloadable content, I will make sure it is downloadable content I actually need and plan to use. Unless someone just needs more than 500GB of space or they are wasting space, I feel it is more than enough.

#60 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3685 posts) -

500GB is way too small... however, I will probably drop in a 2TB sooner or later... as long as I have a way to transfer everything and NOT destroy my warranty... however, I heard that changing hard drives WILL NOT render you warranty invalid now with the PS4. Seeing game installs of 48GB, 42GB, 36GB, etc... Mine will be full in less then one full year from time of purchase...

#61 Posted by zouky_24 (11 posts) -

how about higher then 1tb? Travelstar 1.5TB 5,400 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard Drive?

#62 Posted by Ovirew (6308 posts) -

500gb is a ton of space for me. As someone above said, if you buy physical copies of your games then that kind of space will go a long way.

#63 Edited by s_h_a_d_o (1288 posts) -

@Ovirew said:

500gb is a ton of space for me. As someone above said, if you buy physical copies of your games then that kind of space will go a long way.

Apart from the fact that the next-gen wave of consoles/games seem to be leaning towards mandatory installation (or as they put it, "caching").

#64 Edited by Ovirew (6308 posts) -

@s_h_a_d_o: Oh, really? Hmm, how much space are we talking for this caching? It doesn't do a mandatory install of the full game, does it?

#65 Posted by s_h_a_d_o (1288 posts) -
#66 Posted by The_Rick_14 (9937 posts) -
#67 Posted by s_h_a_d_o (1288 posts) -

@s_h_a_d_o said:

@Ovirew said:

@s_h_a_d_o: Oh, really? Hmm, how much space are we talking for this caching? It doesn't do a mandatory install of the full game, does it?

Apparently so...

http://kotaku.com/next-gen-games-will-fill-our-new-consoles-hard-drives-1457593456

What Kotaku doesn't seem to mention is that Sony has made it sound like the caching is done in the background for the user and frees up space from the cache as necessary. Only a few more days and we'll know for sure.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/knack/news/knack_playable_on_ps4_just_10_seconds_after_mandatory_blu-ray_install.html

"Cerny also noted that Sony had considered allowing cached/installed game data to be automatically deleted after a period of inactivity, but in the end it was decided that gamers would feel "blindsided" so it was deemed best to leave such data management down to the user."

#68 Edited by gta50419 (334 posts) -

Way too small. Even 1tb isn't enough if games are 50gb.eventually games will be 100gb's as the gen goes on and only 10 games will fit.

they need a 2tb system

#69 Edited by gta50419 (334 posts) -

I don't think a lot of you guys saying it'll be enough are realizing that every game will have to be installed, even if you buy the disc.

So even if you buy the disk it'll take hours to install/download lke the same as digital copies? well that sucks.

Look like ill let kz install while im at work

#70 Posted by ziggyww (835 posts) -

It will be each to their own I spose. The average person that will play on the PS4 500GB might be enough but to a hardcore gamer that will be installing games to the drive and want a lot of them saved at a time maybe not...I for one used up pretty much all of the 640GB drive in my PS3 on games and didn't upgrade again to as it is close to PS3 but I shall be investing in a 2TB drive for my PS4 when I get it in the new year.

#71 Posted by haze_blaze (3907 posts) -

@phoenix5352: I'll be putting a 1.5 TB drive in there by December... the first full retail digital game I'll be buying is inFamous: Second Son. So I will take my time upgrading the hard drive.

#72 Edited by The_Rick_14 (9937 posts) -

@gta50419 said:

@ItsEvolution said:

So even if you buy the disk it'll take hours to install/download lke the same as digital copies? well that sucks.

Look like ill let kz install while im at work

Background downloads. It may take hours to complete the install/download, but you should be able to play within minutes.

@The_Rick_14 said:

@s_h_a_d_o said:

@Ovirew said:

Apparently so...

http://kotaku.com/next-gen-games-will-fill-our-new-consoles-hard-drives-1457593456

What Kotaku doesn't seem to mention is that Sony has made it sound like the caching is done in the background for the user and frees up space from the cache as necessary. Only a few more days and we'll know for sure.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/knack/news/knack_playable_on_ps4_just_10_seconds_after_mandatory_blu-ray_install.html

"Cerny also noted that Sony had considered allowing cached/installed game data to be automatically deleted after a period of inactivity, but in the end it was decided that gamers would feel "blindsided" so it was deemed best to leave such data management down to the user."

Good find. Guess I'll have to be managing that myself then. Thankfully I tend to only play a handful of games for long periods of time.

#73 Posted by haze_blaze (3907 posts) -

@ItsEvolution: This is not true... There are game installs now even on the PS3... Those will remain on the PS4. But we won't be required to install a full disc copy of the game like on the Xbox.

#74 Edited by phoenix5352 (57 posts) -

even though installing a new hdd is the best solution , but still it costs a lot , and on the other side the games which has been launched with the ps4 are about 50gb , that means the games like mgs, uncharted , elder scrolls( if it comes later) they will require even more space and then we have to upgrade the hdd again . and for the people who prefer downloading the game its a bigger issue.

so I still think the ps4 must have a bigger hdd by default then later upgrading will be a good option , and sony should even sell the separate hdd with an affordable price.

#75 Posted by yokofox33 (29359 posts) -

I'm good with 500gb for now. I don't intend on using digital purchases much at all other than free PS+ games and obviously digital-only games. I much prefer hard disk copies.

It's good to know you can easily upgrade the HDD if I need to do though.

#76 Posted by Zidaneski (8451 posts) -

500GB will be fine for a while because I usually complete all my games and delete them, if I play them again I'll install it again no biggie. Unless there's a game that takes up over 100GB (Uncharted 3's 40GB was pushing it) 500G will suffice for now.

#77 Posted by BattleSpectre (5963 posts) -

Lol he wants Sony to produce a model with a bigger HDD and to pass the time he'll go and buy an Xbox One? Rigggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggght

#78 Posted by redskins2156 (2553 posts) -

The ps4's hard drive is upgradeable. And it literally takes no more than 5 minutes.

when I bought my ps3 I thought the 80gb hard disk will be more than enough for the games, but later when so many games came out I realized that it wasn't enough . and now with the ps4's memory and the big games coming on the next gen I don't think it will be enough . And this is the reason am gonna wait till there is an improvement in the ps4's memory and till that comes out I will buy a xbox one for passing out time.

#79 Edited by spetrario (8 posts) -

If you want to go big get a HGST Travelstar 5K1500 1.5TB 2.5-Inch Mobile 5400 RPM 9.5mm Internal Bare Hard Disk Drive 0J28001

This is the top storage drive on the market and works seamlessly with the ps4 (1.5TB)

Heres a link at amazon- http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelstar-2-5-Inch-Internal-0J28001/dp/B00EDIU5IW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390585832&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=ps4+teraflop+drive

Also the second best drive is the HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive

This drive is the second best on the market made by the same company (1TB)

Here is a link at amazon- http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelstar-2-5-Inch-7200RPM-Internal/dp/B0097LG9U8/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

*Note a 1GB flash drive/thumdrive is needed to transfer the Sony firmware for the system installation of the drive. It can be obtained on the playstation website*

BOTH WORK WITH THE PS4

#80 Edited by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

Nope. The first thing I did with my PS4 out of the box was upgrade the hdd to the travelstar HGST 1TB hdd spetrario lists above. Considering how big games are now (and they ain't getting any smaller, either) I doubt that even a 1tb hdd will be enough storage after a year or two.

#81 Posted by dethtrain (384 posts) -

If you go all digital it won't be enough. I have a 500gb SSD on my PC, and it's nearly full with about 15-20 games installed on it (AAA games that were released on the console). And given that these newer consoles will be able to display higher resolution textures, you can expect much much larger install sizes. 500GB will probably eat up 20 games or less.

#82 Edited by H_M_1 (1150 posts) -

Plenty for me, considering the rip off digital prices I think I'll stick to physical copies, might pinch one or two games from the playstation now service but 500gb is well enough for me.

#83 Posted by Bigboi500 (29310 posts) -

I'll be just fine with the standard HDD.

#84 Edited by bezza2011 (2380 posts) -

No everyone just check what memory you have left because 500gb does not go far i thought it would be it does not and i didn't realise until i looked on the storage part,

Now the games i have are

Fifa14

NBA 2K14

Assassin Creed 4

KNACK

I've also downloaded the free to play games which are

Warthunder

Warframe

DC Universe

Blacklight

Resogun

Don't Starve

Contrast

I have now only got 177gb left for some reason, now that isn't many games at all to be fair, and i'd advise everyone to check, i mean the next lot of games are going to be around 50gb install, so for me thats only 3 more games i can buy before i'm struggling for space, and there is no doubt by the end of the year i'll have at least another 5 games. it's a bit of a joke to be fair,

glad ps4 is a changable harddrive, i mean how was xbox one going to cope if it was always online with a built in unchangable harddrive if only 9 games fill up your harddrive

also i think people are forgetting even if you buy retail games it still INSTALLS THE WHOLE GAME onto your system. so the people who are going no i'm good i'm just buying retail games so it be ok are completely wrong in what they are saying due to this fact.

it actually makes me believe that the ps4 was going to be an always online system in the first place.

#85 Edited by Toro_Nev (1074 posts) -

Absolutely not, I have a 1TB ready for when I buy it so that I can immediately upgrade. With all the PS+ content, and media I download I can see it getting filled up very fast.. My PS3 filled up in less than two years (without PS+)

#86 Posted by jetjetjaguar (242 posts) -

I always want bigger HD's. Having tons of free space is a great feeling.

#87 Posted by Shmiity (5038 posts) -

It is not enough. Especially if games are 30-60gb a piece with mandatory installs. This might be the first time I have ever said "I will wait for a 1TB"

#88 Edited by Bigboi500 (29310 posts) -

No everyone just check what memory you have left because 500gb does not go far i thought it would be it does not and i didn't realise until i looked on the storage part,

Now the games i have are

Fifa14

NBA 2K14

Assassin Creed 4

KNACK

Warthunder

Warframe

DC Universe

Blacklight

Resogun

Don't Starve

Contrast

I have now only got 177gb left for some reason, now that isn't many games at all to be fair, and i'd advise everyone to check, i mean the next lot of games are going to be around 50gb install, so for me thats only 3 more games i can buy before i'm struggling for space, and there is no doubt by the end of the year i'll have at least another 5 games. it's a bit of a joke to be fair,

glad ps4 is a changable harddrive, i mean how was xbox one going to cope if it was always online with a built in unchangable harddrive if only 9 games fill up your harddrive

also i think people are forgetting even if you buy retail games it still INSTALLS THE WHOLE GAME onto your system. so the people who are going no i'm good i'm just buying retail games so it be ok are completely wrong in what they are saying due to this fact.

it actually makes me believe that the ps4 was going to be an always online system in the first place.

You can simply un-install games when you're not playing them and then re-install them again later if you want to re-play them in the future.

#89 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2396 posts) -

More than enough.

i will only be using the ps4 for exclusives.

#90 Posted by TheFlush (5510 posts) -

it's definitely not enough. Since I go all digital this generation.

#91 Edited by Puckhog04 (22606 posts) -

Manage your games and you'll be fine.

#92 Posted by Sokol4ever (6304 posts) -

At the moment, for me personally, it's good enough. Down the road however, i will definitely upgrade to minimum 1.5 TB HDD.

#93 Posted by dalger21 (1046 posts) -

The very first thing I did when I got my PS4 was upgrade the HDD to a 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD.

#94 Posted by bezza2011 (2380 posts) -

@bezza2011 said:

Now the games i have are

Fifa14

NBA 2K14

Assassin Creed 4

KNACK

Warthunder

Warframe

DC Universe

Blacklight

Resogun

Don't Starve

Contrast

You can simply un-install games when you're not playing them and then re-install them again later if you want to re-play them in the future.

thats very true but i feel as tho, it's only been a couple of months and the next 3months the games are comin and i'll prob run out of space, and as well with the uninstalling i quite like having the games ready and waiting to play, I may upgrade my harddrive but i think i'll need a bigger hiddrive than a 1tb, anyone know if we can put 2tb in the ps4 yet or are we having to wait

#95 Posted by mooooo99 (1243 posts) -

nope, but im waiting until a 2TB hdd is released before i upgrade mine though..

#96 Posted by bezza2011 (2380 posts) -

@mooooo99 said:

nope, but im waiting until a 2TB hdd is released before i upgrade mine though..

Yes i'm in agreement with you, i just think i've pretty much filled my hard drive upgrading to a 1tb hhd just wouldn't really do much good, so 2TB sounds about right is there any news or if we can get one yet

#97 Edited by meluvulongtime8 (1388 posts) -

Probably will be enough. I'll just delete disc based game installs as I need more space. Also not planning on buying many PSN titles. Bought too many and regretted too many on PS3. This time around I'll ride out the PSN + offerings instead and mainly buy disc based releases. The updates download automatically and you can play while installing so a lot of the issues that the PS3 has about installing/updating are more of a none issue this time around.

#98 Posted by jsmoke03 (12743 posts) -

500gb is the equivalent to the 20gb model on the ps3. i wish i upgraded my hdd but i couldnt afford it because i wanted games for black friday

#99 Posted by jukev2424 (244 posts) -

wish i had more space, but i will manage. Pretty sure when you delete a game it doesn't delete saved data so you can reinstall and have all your saves still.