I played the vita today and I was disappointed.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Safc4life88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Safc4life88
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hey guys. I play the Playstation Vita today at my local game store. I was sadly disappointed with it. The handheld is huge, The analogue sticks are way to small to play serious games. it just felt like I was holding a brick at times. Although the features and graphics was quite amazing on the vita it just didn't grab me. I played 2 demo games on the vita and yeah they were not bad but I feel the vita needs to slim down its way to big to be a handheld.
DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 DGonlag
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

Hm, that's too bad. Hopefully i'll like it though.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
I disagree. The Vita feels great. It may be big size but its weight is light. The analog sticks aren't as good as console sticks but I got used to the feel after a few hours on it. Sucks it's not for you aw well.
gedi20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gedi20
Member since 2006 • 217 Posts
I also played the vita today at gamestation an no it didnt feel any were near like a brick it weighs the same as my iphone 4 (it dosent but just sayin) and it fits perfect in you hands im realy excited to get this!!!
GamejunkieUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GamejunkieUK
Member since 2012 • 332 Posts
Hey guys. I play the Playstation Vita today at my local game store. I was sadly disappointed with it. The handheld is huge, The analogue sticks are way to small to play serious games. it just felt like I was holding a brick at times. Although the features and graphics was quite amazing on the vita it just didn't grab me. I played 2 demo games on the vita and yeah they were not bad but I feel the vita needs to slim down its way to big to be a handheld.Safc4life88
I have to disagree and I'm sure a lot of other people will too. Sure it's big for a hand held and bigger then the PSP but to me that's not an issue. I never keep my portable consoles in my pocket. I always have a bag with me and keep them in there. It doesn't in Amy way feel like a brick and the buttons, analogue sticks and d-pad are all just fine. The screen is awesome and even the rear touch pad is a very innovative idea. All in all it's a fantastic portable console and will get far more use then my 3DS.
Avatar image for looseyourself87
looseyourself87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 looseyourself87
Member since 2004 • 307 Posts

Disagree as well... it seemed very light to me. Graphics and power obviously impressive. And i don't know why everybody's complaining about the size. personally i thought the psp needed to be bigger to feel more comfortable in the hands and obviously for that bigg beautiful screen i'd sacrifice any kind of size. The only thing which i'll need getting a bit used to is that the triangle, square X and circle buttons are a bit smaller and placed closer together than the psp. Thats all. loved it.. cant wait

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts
Riiiight. 4 posts huh? You didn't play the Vita. But nice try. Keep on trollin' trollin' trollin'.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Riiiight. 4 posts huh? You didn't play the Vita. But nice try. Keep on trollin' trollin' trollin'.ispeakfact
Just give him the benefit of the doubt... Anyway, I think I'll pass on the temptation to find a demo unit so I can enjoy the launch of my Vita more.
Safc4life88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Safc4life88
Riiiight. 4 posts huh? You didn't play the Vita. But nice try. Keep on trollin' trollin' trollin'.ispeakfact
4 posts means nothing. This is a new account for gamespot anyway. I went into my local gamestation where they have one available to play.
androflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 androflash
Member since 2005 • 1034 Posts

[QUOTE="ispeakfact"]Riiiight. 4 posts huh? You didn't play the Vita. But nice try. Keep on trollin' trollin' trollin'.JustPlainLucas
Just give him the benefit of the doubt... Anyway, I think I'll pass on the temptation to find a demo unit so I can enjoy the launch of my Vita more.

He comes in to the PSP/Vita forums to tell us how the Vita is a disappointment? Then poses no kind of question to debate? I'll go with troll, too. Even if he wasn't trolling this would still be more suited for a blog.

But I agree with you, I don't want to try a demo unit. I don't want to spoil my first hands-on with the Vita.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
The bigger size is better, easier to hold, less cramp and more space for tech and innovation... It's light as well definitely not as heavy as it looks. The only thing annoying me is there are only about 4 games at launch i really want, and one of them has no MP so i can't simply connect to wifi and play people in a different country, they need to be local which blows(Modnation Racers).
terafumos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 terafumos
Member since 2004 • 405 Posts

That's interesting. I felt just the opposite when I played it at the game store. It was impressive. The only complaint that comes to mind might be the size of the console as a whole, but that's minor. The graphics were excellent. Having two analog sticks was definitely appealing. The screen is exactly what I wanted.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I'll try it out some day when I can be bothered going to Game/Gamestation :P If I like it I might get it when it drops in price.

lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 lge777
Member since 2003 • 2507 Posts

HMM I felt different, I thought it was to light, and the size was perfect for me.The sticks will take some getting use to i am heavy handed and hope i don't break them.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

no need for troll calling here as this is a legit complaint for some people. OP it will probably feel lighter when you play one not hooked to the wall at a store.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

LOL at the morons linking a user's post count to the credibility of his complaints. :lol:

Every preview I've read has stated that the system is perfectly fine in terms of its size and weight. I don't think it will be a problem at all. This probably isn't a handheld that will easily slip into your pocket, but I don't think it will be overly large, either.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

no need for troll calling here as this is a legit complaint for some people. OP it will probably feel lighter when you play one not hooked to the wall at a store.

Ghost120x
Yeah those in-store units always tend to bog a system down due to usually being hooked up to some sort of cables or tethers. That's why I never bother testing out handheld consoles in a store.
foxfacer2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 foxfacer2d2
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

ps vita is great and all but the price is just not right.

ATARI_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ATARI_ROCKS
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I tried it out today and I'm sold I paid for the first edition bundle. Maybe down the road you'll change your mind
Avatar image for TwighlightBlade
TwighlightBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TwighlightBlade
Member since 2012 • 872 Posts

The size doesn't matter to me; I'll keep it in a bag. Plus: bigger handheld = bigger screen and more tech.:)

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Aren't displays usually a cheaper version of the retail version.

I remember playing a PSP display and it was denitally smaller, with smaller buttons. Same goes for the display controllers, they were usually different. Not sure if they still do this today.

GoreObsessed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GoreObsessed
Member since 2004 • 8883 Posts
I got to play it today at Best Buy and here are my impressions. Interface- Responsive and clean Form Factor- Its a lot larger then I thought it would be. I know this should be a possitive but to me it seems pretty big for a portable.. IDK maybe I'll get used to it. Screen- Very sharp. Really does put out close to ps3 quality graphics. Controls- D-pad was great, thumbstick were okay.. They felt a little flimsy to me. I tried the rear touch panel with little deviants and diddnt like it that much. It was a pain to get the little guy to move exactly how I wanted it to. So In conclusion, I still want one but I was left slightly put off. The system was very light which I also diddnt like that much. I know they made it plastic due to the wi-fi and stuff but I still wish it was metal and not plastic. A metal casing would of given it a much more sturdy and solid feel and would of added a little more weight to it. Just my thoughts...
No_DRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 No_DRM
I thought the Vita looks very nice. And I've always thought the PSP had a nice design and was very light. And I was hoping for something great with the Vita. But due to the DRM I currently have no plans of purchasing one. I'm tired of these companies trying to limit what software I can run on the hardware and limit what I can do with it. Especially when I've legitimately purchased all of the above and supported them. These same companies like Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, all supported SOPA and PIPA which gives the government the same if not more power to censor than even China has. Until they start to respect my freedom I can't see myself supporting them. Does anyone else feel this way? I always wonder if others out there care about this or if they simply want a slick system to play games on and don't even think about any of the 'politics' behind it.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JustPlainLucas

He comes in to the PSP/Vita forums to tell us how the Vita is a disappointment? Then poses no kind of question to debate? I'll go with troll, too. Even if he wasn't trolling this would still be more suited for a blog.

But I agree with you, I don't want to try a demo unit. I don't want to spoil my first hands-on with the Vita.

androflash
Forums don't exist for the sole collection of gleaming praise and shiny rainbows. People will complain when they find something they don't like. This guy has a valid complaint, regardless of of his post count, and he did it in a civil way. He could have just said "the VITA flatout SUCKS GUYZ!" Ok, then you'd have a point. But no, although he did list some negatives (which others in this thread have repeated), he also said he liked the graphics. As for the blog comment... This thread just hit the second page, meaning people are discussing it. The TC is also brand new, meaning blogging his sentiment would be pointless, as no one would read it. Is he a troll? Maybe.. maybe not, but feeling the need to call him one puts you a bit on the defensive...
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="No_DRM"]I thought the Vita looks very nice. And I've always thought the PSP had a nice design and was very light. And I was hoping for something great with the Vita. But due to the DRM I currently have no plans of purchasing one. I'm tired of these companies trying to limit what software I can run on the hardware and limit what I can do with it. Especially when I've legitimately purchased all of the above and supported them. These same companies like Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, all supported SOPA and PIPA which gives the government the same if not more power to censor than even China has. Until they start to respect my freedom I can't see myself supporting them. Does anyone else feel this way? I always wonder if others out there care about this or if they simply want a slick system to play games on and don't even think about any of the 'politics' behind it.

If you let your politics come in to play, then you should find yourself another hobby. Boycotting will not slow down the way the industry is moving, so either bite your lip, adapt and enjoy your games, or take up knitting or something.
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ghost120x
I also wouldn't trust the controls sticks on a demo unit because a lot of little kids would ruin the sticks and make them feel loose. At my local GameStop the 3d doesn't even work on the 3ds demo unit anymore lol
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghost120x
[QUOTE="No_DRM"]I thought the Vita looks very nice. And I've always thought the PSP had a nice design and was very light. And I was hoping for something great with the Vita. But due to the DRM I currently have no plans of purchasing one. I'm tired of these companies trying to limit what software I can run on the hardware and limit what I can do with it. Especially when I've legitimately purchased all of the above and supported them. These same companies like Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, all supported SOPA and PIPA which gives the government the same if not more power to censor than even China has. Until they start to respect my freedom I can't see myself supporting them. Does anyone else feel this way? I always wonder if others out there care about this or if they simply want a slick system to play games on and don't even think about any of the 'politics' behind it.

I'm against drm but game development is starting to be a high budget business and publishers don't like hearing that their game was pirated over a thousand times from the media. How would you feel if people were stealing something you made and you weren't getting paid for it?but i do agree drm is a bad and greedy solution.I believe strongly that the market defines itself and if it gets bad enough consumers will back down, this will make publishers change and the market will correct itself. And sopa, I don't think it has any chances of passing not with all the negativity surrounding it and big corporations like google against it.the Internet is the last free media form for the public and if companies get control, it will be just like radio which the only people who can make radio broadcast/stations are people with a ton of money.which radio didn't used to be this way but is now with expensive licensing fees and strict regulation.
androflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 androflash
Member since 2005 • 1034 Posts

[QUOTE="androflash"]

JustPlainLucas

Forums don't exist for the sole collection of gleaming praise and shiny rainbows. People will complain when they find something they don't like. This guy has a valid complaint, regardless of of his post count, and he did it in a civil way. He could have just said "the VITA flatout SUCKS GUYZ!" Ok, then you'd have a point. But no, although he did list some negatives (which others in this thread have repeated), he also said he liked the graphics. As for the blog comment... This thread just hit the second page, meaning people are discussing it. The TC is also brand new, meaning blogging his sentiment would be pointless, as no one would read it. Is he a troll? Maybe.. maybe not, but feeling the need to call him one puts you a bit on the defensive...

I never acknowledged his post count because I don't believe it matters. Also, his post count doesn't matter but the length of the thread does? Ok. As for the blog, they are difficult to start and it's a process, but this isn't the solution. And if I'm defensive (which I am) what are you? My first post was to be taken lightly, and even though I feel like this thread is of questionable purpose I still stayed on-topic and tried to add something, but your response? Well...

Just my two cents

kianboon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kianboon83
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Why are people always so fast to jump conclusions? He is just plainly stating his opinions, I don't find anything wrong with it.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 THA-TODD-BEAST

[QUOTE="No_DRM"]I thought the Vita looks very nice. And I've always thought the PSP had a nice design and was very light. And I was hoping for something great with the Vita. But due to the DRM I currently have no plans of purchasing one. I'm tired of these companies trying to limit what software I can run on the hardware and limit what I can do with it. Especially when I've legitimately purchased all of the above and supported them. These same companies like Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, all supported SOPA and PIPA which gives the government the same if not more power to censor than even China has. Until they start to respect my freedom I can't see myself supporting them. Does anyone else feel this way? I always wonder if others out there care about this or if they simply want a slick system to play games on and don't even think about any of the 'politics' behind it.JustPlainLucas
If you let your politics come in to play, then you should find yourself another hobby. Boycotting will not slow down the way the industry is moving, so either bite your lip, adapt and enjoy your games, or take up knitting or something.

Amen.

No_DRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 No_DRM
Because I don't like the DRM and the ways the companies are trying to restrict me when I purchase legitimate games from them I should either just not care about it or start knitting?.. I'll keep gaming. But I won't support companies that don't respect my freedoms. An easy solution for me actually. :)
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I played the Vita every day in the past month and I'm pretty happy with it :P Yeah the analoges are smaller than the ones on the PS3 controller, but you just need to get used to them. In fact it was weird to have those big thing under my thumps when I came back to my Ps3 after the first few weeks ^^ Oh and I don''t care that it's huge, i can still take it with me all the time :S

ddlcpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ddlcpc
Member since 2007 • 887 Posts

too bad 4 u then.....

GamejunkieUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GamejunkieUK

ps vita is great and all but the price is just not right.

foxfacer2d2
It would be nice if it was cheaper but for what you get it's a reasonable price and value.
GamejunkieUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GamejunkieUK
[QUOTE="GoreObsessed"]I got to play it today at Best Buy and here are my impressions. Interface- Responsive and clean Form Factor- Its a lot larger then I thought it would be. I know this should be a possitive but to me it seems pretty big for a portable.. IDK maybe I'll get used to it. Screen- Very sharp. Really does put out close to ps3 quality graphics. Controls- D-pad was great, thumbstick were okay.. They felt a little flimsy to me. I tried the rear touch panel with little deviants and diddnt like it that much. It was a pain to get the little guy to move exactly how I wanted it to. So In conclusion, I still want one but I was left slightly put off. The system was very light which I also diddnt like that much. I know they made it plastic due to the wi-fi and stuff but I still wish it was metal and not plastic. A metal casing would of given it a much more sturdy and solid feel and would of added a little more weight to it. Just my thoughts...

I agree if there is one thing I don't like its that it's too light and doesn't feel as solid as it should. Even the 3DS feels more solid and heavier to me.
damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

I played the vita at a vita hill event in atlanta and I think the size and thumbsticks are rightly proportional to the system intended use. Sure its not the same size or as responsive as the dual shock but its still retains the relative layout. However for me the build was the only disappointing part. The plastic feel made it feel really light in my hands which is good since I will keep it in my pockets, but i feel that I should never take it out of its case.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 THA-TODD-BEAST

I played the Vita every day in the past month and I'm pretty happy with it :P Yeah the analoges are smaller than the ones on the PS3 controller, but you just need to get used to them. In fact it was weird to have those big thing under my thumps when I came back to my Ps3 after the first few weeks ^^ Oh and I don''t care that it's huge, i can still take it with me all the time :S

ArchoNils2

Although the thumbsticks are obviously much shorter/smaller than their PS3 controller counterparts, do they still have nearly the same range of motion? In other words, can you still slowly shift from walking to jogging to running in a game like Uncharted or Gravity Rush, or is that range of motion compromised so that it's more or less black and white - walking or running?

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
I don't make judgements from tied down demo units they are often limited Like. I tried 3ds at gamestop but I could only play street fighter which isn't my thing.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

androflash

There's a huge difference between "LOL Vita is a failure!!" and commenting on the actual device through personal experience, i admit it's more blog material but it's better than all the other threads of people asking questions that google could answer in 0.00034 seconds.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#40 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Its the perfect hand held gaming system.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I don't make judgements from tied down demo units they are often limited Like. I tried 3ds at gamestop but I could only play street fighter which isn't my thing.p4s2p0
I couldn't use the demo one since it had frozen at the main menu. I got to try the managers instead :P
I don't think it's worth £230 currently, I think the original PSP is better for now.

Sophette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sophette
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts

The best way to play the Vita is at those Playstation Vita Hill Social Club events. There are only a few of them around the country, fortunately they had the Atlanta one near my job. It's a nice environment and the Vita's aren't bolted down. They're tethered to 10 foot plugs so you have plenty of room to move around, especially with the AR games like Reality Fighters.

I had fun with it, and I was really impressed at how light the system is, despite the size. Plus they had multiple units with different games, not just whatever game Gamestop or BestBuy will have in the bolted down demo unit. If there's a Vita Hill location in your state, I definitely recommend checking it out, if you can. I really hope there are a lot more rpg's this time around.