How often do you turn off your PS4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TexasBoi98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 TexasBoi98
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

i just discovered that turning my tv off automatically puts my ps4 into standby mode. usually i turn my ps4 off at night, but i can see myself going long stretches without ever turning it off completely, if start just turning off my tv instead. just curious as to how often people turn off their ps4 versus putting it in standby mode. are you mainly influenced by energy costs or it just better overall for the console (in terms of turning it off).

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

I try to turn it off unless I am charging a controller. It's probably OK, but I'm paranoid of it breaking. I already had two PS3s break on me.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

@SpiderLuke said:

I try to turn it off unless I am charging a controller. It's probably OK, but I'm paranoid of it breaking. I already had two PS3s break on me.

Same here. Especially since launch consoles tend to have more issues. Coincidentally I left my PS4 on standby last night charging my DS4 and when I turned it on this morning there would be no sound output on the TV. No app or game would have sound so I turned it off and left it like that for a few minutes. Fortunately it worked fine after that.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I turn it off abou 4 out of every 5 times.

JChowCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JChowCH

I have a separate charger for my DS4 controllers by the way. When I replaced my hhd day one it would refuse to go on stand by and even would lock up. Holding down the power button wouldn't work and the only way to get it to turn off was to pull the power plug :(. Put back the original hard drive and standby works really well now. Afraid of leaving it on standby too much because of all that Foxcom craziness and supposedly using cheap solder.

TexasBoi98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TexasBoi98

hmm, i'll probably keep my same routine then and just use standby sparingly or for charging a controller. thanks for the input.

JChowCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JChowCH

Foxconn, sorry. And here's a link: http://corruptedcartridge.com/ps4-sabotaged-news/

Swedish_Chef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Swedish_Chef
Member since 2003 • 623 Posts

I've yet to turn mine off since launch. Guess I'll be the test subject on how long it lives if it's only ever in standby.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

I turn it off instead of standby if I know I'm not going to turn it on for a few days. More of an energy wasting thing than a worrying thing though.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#10 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@texasboi98 said:

i just discovered that turning my tv off automatically puts my ps4 into standby mode. usually i turn my ps4 off at night, but i can see myself going long stretches without ever turning it off completely, if start just turning off my tv instead. just curious as to how often people turn off their ps4 versus putting it in standby mode. are you mainly influenced by energy costs or it just better overall for the console (in terms of turning it off).

you can make it so that the PS4 goes into standby mode after 5-10 minutes or 5 hours. The default is 10 minutes i believe. I have put it on standby mode to either charge my controller or if i have downloaded something. But i am going to turn it off when i don't have to do either

ZeusCannon087

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZeusCannon087

I put it on standby, and take off automatic downloads. I just use it to charge it overnight, and boot it up faster. I do sometimes turn it off.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

:S listen ps4 is designed to be in stand by mode all the time, just like how your tv is always in stand by mode, just like how the ps3 was always in stand by mode, the only thing whats happened is how sony has worded the reasons behind it, it's actually safer to live it in stand by than it is to turn the thing off all the time. my ps4 is in stand by all the time as this is the mode that every electronic thing normally is ie - hi-fi, tv, dvd player, ps3 etc

ps the turn off mode in ps4 is like the switch you used to have on the ps3

RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

I charge my controller on my laptop. I turn my Ps4 everytime. I used stand by mode one and it gave me sound problems and wouldnt connect to the my wifi for half an hour. So no Standy By for a long time.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I always turn it off when im done playing it.

scarpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 scarpad
Member since 2005 • 300 Posts

Of course if you want to use the remote play feature n the vita you have to keep It in standby

redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts

@texasboi98: The only time you should completely turn it off, is if you have to unplug your console or if you aren't going to play for a few days. That's goes for all of your electronics. Just looks at your television when you press the "off" button, their is a red light on your television indicating it is in standby mode. Turning your devices off completely and turning it back on puts alot of stress on the device, because of the amount of power that is needed to turn the device on.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I turn it off when I'm done using it. I work a lot so I see no point keeping it on while I'm not home.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I always leave it in standby. I think it's been fully shutdown maybe once.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Unless I'm downloading a game or an update, I always turn it off completely.