HDTV Guide V2.0 (No Other HDTV Threads Allowed)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Truth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Truth01
Member since 2005 • 2732 Posts

***PLEASE READ GUIDE BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS***

Introduction

A new generation is upon us and like many, we are not prepared. Many of you have heard of this thing called HDTV and are wondering if it’s worth all the hype. The simple answer is yes. HDTV creates an image so amazing and so clear that it can be compared to going from black and white to color. Although, the technology is still developing, it’s still a good idea to understand some the key aspects of this new generation and this is where this guide comes in. It will cover the most important elements of HD and give you an edge over others when finally buying the TV.

FAQ

Q: Do I need to buy a HDTV to play PS3?
A: No, you can use the A/V ports and connect your old TV, but you will have a significantly lower quality image.

Q: Can I use my PC monitor to play the PS3?
A: Yes, to use your PC monitor as your screen you will need to find a HDMI to VGA converter or HDMI to DVI converter, depending on what PC monitor you have. (Please see HDTV or PC monitor).

Q: What is EDTV?
A: EDTV is the same thing as HDTV, but it does not have the resolution to provide a true HDTV image.

Comparison

For those that have never experienced HD, here is a comparison.

SDTV Image

HDTV Image

As you can see the image is greatly increased this is because HDTV has four times the resolution of a SDTV (standard resolution television).

Types

There are four main types of televisions you can purchase. Each of them has its own pros and cons so you will have to pick the one the suits you.

The CRT (Cathode-Ray Tube)

Pros
-Cheap.
-If set up correctly and placed in the right area they have the best display out of the four types.
-
They produce an excellent black

Cons
-Do not work well in bright rooms
-
Need regular maintenance
-Most cannot display computer signals
-Narrow viewing angle
-Softer images then the other four types
-Smaller screen sizes

Final Say

The CRT is an old technology and it’s dying out. Nevertheless if you are on a low budget and don’t need a huge screen, then CRT will is a good choice.

LCD (Liquid Crystal Display)

Pros
-Light and thin compared to CRT
-Bright
-No maintenance to keep sharpness
-Most are computer capable
-Prices are dropping

Cons
-More expensive then CRT
-Are not worth the price after 32’’
-Lowest black compared to all four types
-Regular Lamp replacement
-Narrow viewing angle

Best Brands
Sony, Hitachi, Panasonic, LG

Final Say
LCD’s are a developing technology. The prices are always dropping, while the quality is increasing. If you are looking for a TV lower then 32’’ and are on a medium budget, the LCD is for you.

Plasma

Pros
-Can be as thin as 3”
-Wide viewing angle
-High quality image in the best cases

Cons
-Expensive
-Burn-in is a possibility (Burn-in is when an image becomes stuck on the screen for a long period of time. After the 1st 100 hours of watching Burn-in is highly unlikely)

Final Say

The Plasma technology has come a long way in the last few years and it continues to develop. Plasma is the best type to buy when looking at screens larger then 32’’. 

DLP (Digital Light Processing)

Pros
-Good black level
-No maintenance to keep sharpness
-Computer capable
-Large screen size

Cons
-Expensive
-Needs Lamp replacement
-Makes video noise in dark places
-Have a habit of breaking down (costly repairs)

Best Brands
Samsung, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, LG, RCA

Final Say
The DLP is a new technology that still needs to develop for a few years. They may one day rule the TV world, but not today.  

HDTV or PC Monitor

There are a lot questions surrounding whether to buy an HDTV or a PC monitor. The answer is really quite simple. The ps3 is a multimedia device, that will suit all your entertainment needs, but some people will only use it as a gaming console. So, if you only want to play games on your ps3, then go with the monitor. You won’t lose resolution quality and you’ll be paying less. If you want to use your ps3 as multimedia device, then buy the HDTV. You’ll pay more, but you’ll get more entertainment out of the ps3’s extras.

Resolution

Many people seem to have difficulty understanding resolution, but it isn’t as hard some people think.

There are two times of video display modes: Progressive and Interlaced. Progressive means that every single line on your TV is refreshed X number of times in one second. This will give you the sharpest image possible. Progressive is represented as a “p”. Interlaced means that every other line on your TV is refreshed X number of times in one second. This will give you slightly less sharp image. Interlaced is represented as an “i”. FPS (frames per second) determines the X. If your TV runs i at 60 fps then every other line on your TV will be refreshed 60 times every second.

Now the resolution means how many pixels are on the screen at one time. If you buy a 1080 TV then there are 1,920x1,080 pixels displayed and if you buy a 720 then there are 1280x720 pixels displayed. There are more resolutions, but these are the most used.

So, a 1080i TV running at 60fps will display 1,920x1,080 pixels and every other line will be refreshed 60 times every second.

This brings us to the question, which is better 1080i or 720p? The answer is simple, both. It all depends on what you are viewing. If you are watching or playing an image that moves slowly then 1080i is the best for that. For example, a golf game would look much better on 1080i then 720p. If you are watching an image that is fast paced then 720p is best for that. For example, a racing game would look much better on 720 then 1080i.

Make sure the TV you are buying has both capabilities, most TVs that support 1080i will support 720p, but it isn’t a guarantee so check first.

There is also a new resolution that combines both 1080i and 720p. It’s the 1080p. Now this is a new technology so not many TVs have it and like all new things it’s quite expensive. In addition, unless you are buying a giant TV (Around 40’’) then the 1080p will not make a big difference to you. The difference on a small set is almost impossible to notice.

There is one last thing you need to be aware of and that is native resolution. This is the resolution at which the TV was designed to operate on. It can still display images of higher and lower resolution, but it must convert the image making it slightly degraded.

Widescreen

If you are going to invest in a HDTV then you should also look into widescreen. What widescreen does is display an image in a 16:9 ratio. Meaning for every 16 inches of width it displays 9 inches of height. This will allow you to watch a more broad view of the image. Most movies are shot in widescreen and most games for the ps3 will have this as well, so getting it will only benefit you. When looking into buying a Widescreen make sure the TV has Panorama, TheaterWide, or Natural settings, otherwise the image you are watching will look distorted.

Truth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Truth01

Connections

Now that you have decided on your screen it’s time to look at all the ports you are going to need.

HDMI- will provide your ps3 with the highest quality of video and audio possible.

DVI/ HDCP- is much like HDMI except that it doesn’t send digital audio, so you will have to buy an optical cable and attach it to your ps3 to get digital audio. The other thing is that the ps3 doesn’t have a DVI connection, so you will have to buy an adaptor.

Blu-Ray recently announced that their Blu-ray players would not function properly without an HDMI or DVI connection. This is because the HDMI and DVI ports/ cables have copy protection technology in them, meaning that they will not display pirated discs. If you don’t have an HDMI or DVI port, then the resolution of your Blu-ray discs will be cut in half. Although it has not been confirmed that ps3 will function the same way as the Blu-ray players, it does seem to be heading in that direction.

What does this mean? Well simply, if you bought a HDTV and it doesn’t have a HDMI or DVI port, then you are screwed because you will not be getting HDTV signals out of your ps3. If you are going to buy an HDTV soon then make sure that it has either or both ports.

Now keep in mind if you are someone that has or wants more then just a PS3 connected to your TV, then get all of these. Your ideal connectivity should be this: one DVI (for PC, DVD, cable, or satellite receiver); one HDMI; at least three full-bandwidth component-video inputs; three S-Video inputs.

Extras

Here are a few things you might want to add while you are buying a HDTV.

TV Tuner- This will allow you to view channels that send HDTV signals in that form. It replaces the box you would need to pay for from your local service provider. TVs that have a TV Tuner will be marked “integrated HDTVs”, TVs that don’t have a TV Tuner will be marked “HDTV ready” or “HDTV compatible” You should only get this if you are in a largely populated area. If you are not then this is a waste of money because you will not be getting these signals anyway. A TV Tuner can also be called a Digital or ATSC Tuner.

Digital Cable Ready (DCR) – This works much like the TV Tuner. If you buy a Digital Cable Ready TV then you will be able to view Digital Cable channels in HD. TVs with integrated digital cable box will be marked “Digital Cable Ready” or “DCR” This replaces the Digital Cable Box you will need from your local service provider. If you don’t live in a highly populated area this is a waste of money, you will not get the signals anyway.

VGA (Video Graphics Array) – If you would like to connect your TV to your computer and use it as a screen then you will need a VGA port. You can also get an S-Video, but VGA has a much bigger resolution a image quality. (If you gey a TV with both a HDMI and DVI connetion then you can use the DVI for your PC, since the DVI provides a much better resoultion).

Credits

CNET.com- for providing most of the information

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-1.html?tag=nav

AfterDawn.com- for providing some of the definitions

http://www.afterdawn.com/

Gamespot- for providing the PS3 specs

http://www.gamespot.com/index.html

Lastly, all the people the both rudely and politly pointed out the correct answers.

Again please feel free to ask questions and suggestion/ corrections, no matter how dumb you think they are.

E-mail me at outsider@rogers.com and feel free to add me as your friend.

-Piotr

-Makaveli-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 -Makaveli-
Member since 2003 • 10222 Posts
*claps*
randy_123r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 randy_123r
Member since 2004 • 2482 Posts
Awesome!
Aeronautical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Aeronautical
Member since 2005 • 2039 Posts
You answered 3000 threads in 2 posts, someone give him a medal.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
That's great, but i already knew all that stuff and you forgot to mention Plasmas :)
KuramaKaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KuramaKaoru
Member since 2004 • 340 Posts

Wow, these posts are the most helpful for buying an HDTV I've probably ever read. Due to the fact that the language isn't put in a weird complicated way. I hope this thread does get a sticky. Well keep up the good work.

Edit: haha I'm going to open a new window and look for an HDTV so I can get it for my room. (Yes I'm going to keep it cheap haha)

-Makaveli-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Makaveli-

A little suggestion: you may want to compare HD's to SD's to show how they stack up to eachother.

KevinIsDaBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KevinIsDaBomb
Member since 2004 • 1303 Posts
I have a HDTV that can produce 1080i is that considered a true HD image?
-Makaveli-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Makaveli-
I have a HDTV that can produce 1080i is that considered a true HD image? KevinIsDaBomb
:lol: Yes
smokey_77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 smokey_77
Member since 2005 • 327 Posts

Q: How do I get Dobly Digital Sound from my PS3?
A: You will need a HDMI port.

it has an OPTICAL out port for 5.1.... DTS......PROLOGIC etc

KuramaKaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KuramaKaoru
I have a quick question. Do you know if any CRT TV's have HDMI but are still farely cheap? Or is that just a stupid question?(Which it probably is..)
-Makaveli-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Makaveli-
I have a quick question. Do you know if any CRT TV's have HDMI but are still farely cheap? Or is that just a stupid question?(Which it probably is..)KuramaKaoru
It depends on your concept of fairly. If you mean under a grand, then sure. But, no hdtvs are truly "cheap", just cheaper than the last few years. Check newegg.com. They have the best selection, prices, comparisons, reviews, etc. I swear by the guys.
KuramaKaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KuramaKaoru

[QUOTE="KuramaKaoru"]I have a quick question. Do you know if any CRT TV's have HDMI but are still farely cheap? Or is that just a stupid question?(Which it probably is..)-Makaveli-
It depends on your concept of fairly. If you mean under a grand, then sure. But, no hdtvs are truly "cheap", just cheaper than the last few years. Check newegg.com. They have the best selection, prices, comparisons, reviews, etc. I swear by the guys.

Thank you very much. Eh, sorry for the cheap thing. But at least you know what I meant. What I should've put is at a good deal I suppose or under a certain pricepoint.

Thanks again.

orenishi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 orenishi
Member since 2005 • 783 Posts
I can already see one question how do you hook your ps3 into your moniter.
-Makaveli-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Makaveli-
I can already see one question how do you hook your ps3 into your moniter. orenishi
Assuming you're talking about a computer monitor, you'll need an hdmi--->vga convertor. After that, it's just plug and play.
Truth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Truth01
Thanks a lot for all the nice comments and suggestions, a special thanks to Makaveli who has been handling most of the question while I've been sleeping.:)

The updated has
-plasma pros, cons, final say
-Dolby Digital connection FAQ
-how to use your monitor as your TV FAQ
-fixed grammar and spelling (post 1)

KuramaKaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KuramaKaoru
Agh another question. Does the DVI/HDCP connection look almost as good as HDMI? Or is it a barely noticable difference? I know the sound won't be as good though. But I just connect my PS2 to my stereo so I won't have to much of a problem with that I suppose.
mEtAL_t0ast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 mEtAL_t0ast
Member since 2005 • 4072 Posts
MY EYES!!!! MY BEAUTIFUL EYES!!!!!!!!!
Cgi-Chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cgi-Chris
Member since 2003 • 5593 Posts

I got some resolution pics you might want to add. I've been going around answering people questions all the time... This would more likely make a good thread for the hardware forum.... But here go your pics

Standard resolutions/Hd TV

Visual comparison of common TV display resolutions.

• 480i -  640x480
  • 720p - 1280x720 pixels progressive
  • 1080i - 1920x1080 pixels interlaced
  • 1080p - 1920x1080 pixels progressive

Televisionresolution / Frame Rates

• LDTV 240i60, 288i50 (CIF)

• SDTV 480i60 (NTSC), 480p30, 576i50 (PAL, SÉCAM), 576p25

• EDTV 480p60, 576p50, 720i50, 720i60, 720p24, 720p25, 720p30

• HDTV 720p50, 720p60, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30, 1080i50, 1080p60 1080p120  

• Progressive, Interlaced

Close-up view

HDTV

HDTV at four times the resolution of SDTV.

SDTV

Links dont work dont worry about clicking.

• http://en.wikipedia.org

Truth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Truth01
    Agh another question. Does the DVI/HDCP connection look almost as good as HDMI? Or is it a barely noticable difference? I know the sound won't be as good though. But I just connect my PS2 to my stereo so I won't have to much of a problem with that I suppose.KuramaKaoru

Well it all really depends on the sources you are putting it into and what source it's coming from. I don't believe that the difference will be huge, you may lose some sharpness and overall quality. You may want to try and buy high quality cables to even out any difference, but again it won't look bad. HD looks great no matter what connections you use.
    Kalzu0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kalzu0
    Member since 2004 • 159 Posts
    Nice threat ;)
    KuramaKaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KuramaKaoru

[QUOTE="KuramaKaoru"]Agh another question. Does the DVI/HDCP connection look almost as good as HDMI? Or is it a barely noticable difference? I know the sound won't be as good though. But I just connect my PS2 to my stereo so I won't have to much of a problem with that I suppose.Truth01

Well it all really depends on the sources you are putting it into and what source it's coming from. I don't believe that the difference will be huge, you may lose some sharpness and overall quality. You may want to try and buy high quality cables to even out any difference, but again it won't look bad. HD looks great no matter what connections you use.

Thanks for the answer. Right when I saw this post I found like the perfect HDTV for my room. Which is great considering it has HDMI, 16:9, HDTV, With a tuner box, and it's only 599! Most I've seen are over 700.

Truth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Truth01

Would you mind giving me a link, I'm looking for an HDTV myself.

KuramaKaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KuramaKaoru

Would you mind giving me a link, I'm looking for an HDTV myself.

Truth01

Sure, no problem.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BP4N5M/sr=1-7/qid=1136152127/ref=sr_1_7/103-5900331-3022216?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Truth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Truth01
    Alright here's what I saw. You said it's 16:9 I didn't, you said it has a HDMI I didn't see that either. Double check I maybe incorrect. If you want more specs for the TV put it's brand name and it's serial number into google
    KuramaKaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KuramaKaoru

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/SlimFitHDTV/TXR2779HKXXAA.asp

Ok, here's what it was. It says it has HDMI Input (I am assuming that meant it has HDMI) and I read in a review that it had 16:9. I may be wrong about the HDMI but I shall further research the 16:9 ratio.

Truth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Truth01

I did some research of my own and if you go to my link you'll see the specs. I see the HDMI port you are correct, my bad. Although I was correct on the 16:9, it does not have Widescreen. This doesn't mean that it's a bad TV though.
    http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/132971/originURLEncoded/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.circuitcity.com%252Fccd%252Fcategorylist.do%253FcatOid%253D-12868%2526Ns%253Daccm_num_unts_sld%257C1%2526N%253D20012866%252B20012867%252B20012868%2526c%253D1%2526cm_re%253Dmain%2Bmarquee-_-Save%2Bup%2Bto%2B%2524400%2Binstantly%2Bon%2BTVs-_-All%2Bconventional%2BTVs/rpem/ccd/productDetailSpecification.do#tabs

KuramaKaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KuramaKaoru

Ah ok I see. More likely I will buy this TV. I may be able to buy the higher version which does have the 16:9 ratio.

Either way I'll be happy with what I have.(If I do even get it that is.)

If you'd like to see the higher version it's on this link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009EXWJS/qid=1136152488/sr=8-3/ref=pd_bbs_3/103-5900331-3022216?n=507846&s=electronics&v=glance

Truth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Truth01
    Both TVs look really good, either one is a good choice, but obviously the one with widescreen is slightly better.
    damagooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 damagooon
    Member since 2004 • 3326 Posts

bump

EL_MEXICAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 EL_MEXICAN
    Member since 2003 • 1440 Posts
    *Bump

Hey, I have a question.
    I plan to get an HDTV that supports sorround sound.
    You said it should have HDMI for a good audio thing or whatever.
    So the HDMI is just a port, sort of like a USB port, is this correct?
    So if I get a TV that supports HDMI I would need my sound system
    to support HDMI or something like that?

Thanks!  And this faq is great!
    Truth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Truth01
    I don't know much about sound systems but it would make the most sense if your sound system had an HDMI port and yes the HDMI is basically like a USB.
    EL_MEXICAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 EL_MEXICAN
    Member since 2003 • 1440 Posts
    I don't know much about sound systems but it would make the most sense if your sound system had an HDMI port and yes the HDMI is basically like a USB. Truth01

But it aint really a cable right?

So what i would have to do is:
    Get the TV
    Sound System
    Connect them both and play?
    Truth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Truth01
    The HDMI is a port and a cable and yes connect them all together.
    d3kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 d3kar
    Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
    which plasma / lcd / beamer can really show 1080p?
    Truth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Truth01
    You probably couldn't find an LCD 1080p but i could be wrong. I think most 1080p is on Plasma. The 1080p is on the new larger scale modles.
    smokey_77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 smokey_77
    Member since 2005 • 327 Posts

the HDMIs are only small like USBs on this pic you can just read the print

d3kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 d3kar
    Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
    i found a LCD from sharp (LC-45 GD1E) that has a real resolution 1920x1080. but it is a little expensive.... :-(
    Sushimaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 Sushimaster
    Member since 2003 • 2671 Posts
    Q: Can I use my computer monitor to play the PS3? A: Yes, but again it will not provide the same quality as the HDTV. To use your monitor as your screen you will need to find a HDMI to VGA convertor. Q: How do I get Dobly Digital/ Surround Sound from my PS3? A: You will need a HDMI port or an Optical port, although the HDMI should give you higher sound quality. Q:What is EDTV? A: EDTV is the samething as HDTV, but it does not have the resolution to provide a true HDTV image. A few corrections... I would have quoted.... but i have no idea... ho w ... yeah... Okay.. anyways. The first, Computer monitors generally have decent HD quality resolution. Im not exactly sure how this works, but I would figure that a PC monitor would set itsself to the resolution of the Input. Computers put out resolutions such as 1024x768 800x600 & 640x480. TO the best of my knowledge, T.V.s only just caught up with PC monitors as far as resolution goes. But does it matter? Moving on. HDMI only carried 2 channel Digital audio. Such as Prologic 2 Not DTS or Dolby Digital. So, You MUST have a digital connection such as a coaxil or a optical cable. NExt, EDTV isnt HDTV Its just Uber Normal T.V.
    XMantixxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 XMantixxX
    Member since 2005 • 151 Posts
    Heres my baby (bought it for myself Xmas 2003)... http://www.800stereo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?store_code=8&screen=PROD&product_code=sony-kp-65ws510 It does both 720p and 1080i.. It has 7 inputs.... For gaming, I put the fibre into my sony surround sound (bypass tv altogether)..... Xbox 360 looks great on it and PS3 will look awesome as well.... Oh, and you forgot projection tv's in your faq.... Cmon Sony...LOL
    HowardB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HowardB
    Member since 2002 • 1689 Posts

DLP "makes noises in dark areas." That's hilarious.

You might want to find a better source of information than CNET and do a little more research on monitor technology.

Avatar image for AntonioMontello
    AntonioMontello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 AntonioMontello
    Member since 2004 • 2003 Posts
    What about S-Video? What exactly is it? Is it sort of like the component cables (input/out put) but one wire, or is it something totally different? Does it show better picture/sound or does it have nothing to do with it at all? Please help.
    SnakeEater410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SnakeEater410
    Member since 2004 • 1721 Posts

Thank You!!!

Thanos_of_MW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Thanos_of_MW
    Member since 2005 • 4642 Posts

What about S-Video? What exactly is it? Is it sort of like the component cables (input/out put) but one wire, or is it something totally different? Does it show better picture/sound or does it have nothing to do with it at all? Please help. AntonioMontello

S-video is a connection that carries the luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) signals in separate wires.  It is NOT like component video, and it is standard definition.  It is better than regular composite (yellow RCA connector) but not better than component.  Component can also be high definition.

Dthwish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 Dthwish09
    Member since 2005 • 1851 Posts
    nice post, very good :D
    Shu76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shu76
    Member since 2006 • 913 Posts
    OK Look.... HDMI is a port and you will need a HDMI cable to connect it to, Your reciever should also have one as well,But you can use a fiber optical cable as well which hooks up to the back of your reciever which will be able to bring it into 5.1 surround sound. DTS is better than dolby digital,and should be used when ever you can. Componet can in fact carry a 1080i signal,but you will get a better image quality with HDMI,Most of the newer HDTVs now have them but always best to double check before buying and always best to get more than one,some tvs have 2 hdmi ports. Don't bother with S-Video,it's junk. HDMI is your main concern for picture quality.
    fazares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 fazares
    Member since 2004 • 6913 Posts

OK Look.... HDMI is a port and you will need a HDMI cable to connect it to, Your reciever should also have one as well,But you can use a fiber optical cable as well which hooks up to the back of your reciever which will be able to bring it into 5.1 surround sound. DTS is better than dolby digital,and should be used when ever you can. Componet can in fact carry a 1080i signal,but you will get a better image quality with HDMI,Most of the newer HDTVs now have them but always best to double check before buying and always best to get more than one,some tvs have 2 hdmi ports. Don't bother with S-Video,it's junk. HDMI is your main concern for picture quality.Shu76

u can be fine with  a common dvi ingress and an hdmi to dvi cable as well....

P.S.in the case above, u have to use the classic rgb red and white jacks for the audio or an optical cable.....

fazares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fazares
    Member since 2004 • 6913 Posts

i found a LCD from sharp (LC-45 GD1E) that has a real resolution 1920x1080. but it is a little expensive.... :-(d3kar

it probly supports native 1080i....