psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By psx2514
Member since 2008 • 425 Posts

Hey, everyone, my topic title maybe a little ambiguous, so please read this post in its entirety before responding rather than responding to the thread title alone.

I'm going to list off a few PS2 games that I own, and you tell me if it would be worth the HD upgrade. I don't need you to sell me on the actual games. I know they're great games, that's why I have them still. I just need to know if buying the HD remasters is worth the upgrade, or if I'd be better off sticking with my PS2 copy, and playing that. Oh, and please base your answers off of personal experience and first hand knowledge rather than what you read on the internet. Thanks.

The games are:

Silent Hill 2

Devil May Cry 1 & 3

Ratchet and Clank (plus Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal)

Okami

A few of the HD upgrades really enhanced the experience for already amazing games. One major example for me was the Team ICO collection (especially ICO). The original Ico just looked terrible on an HDTV (blurry and muddy textures, no widescreen). The difference in quality between the PS2 and HD versions were night and day. I'm telling you all this so you have an idea of what I'm looking for. Take into consideration of whether or not the HD versions of the games I listed enhance the experince like the Team ICO collection did.

GamerNerdTalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 1

#2 GamerNerdTalk
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

I always like the hd remakes, but I always keep the original. I know buying the hd ill like the game, so it's always a plus

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#3 WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

@psx2514: Silent Hill HD games are dreadfull. No fog, no atmosphere. Dont waste money on it. Others are fine.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By psx2514

@GamerNerdTalk: Do you have personal experience with the games and their HD collections I mentioned? If so, would you mind answering my question regarding them?

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By psx2514

@WolfgarTheQuiet said:

@psx2514: Silent Hill HD games are dreadfull. No fog, no atmosphere. Dont waste money on it. Others are fine.

So you'd say that those HD collections are worth my hard earned money even though I have and could play the original PS2 version?

WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WolfgarTheQuiet

@psx2514: If you care about graphics being better go for it. Besides the looks core game is the same. I actually bought first 3 Jak games on PS2 for 6 bucks, even tho i could have gotten HD versions.

If you dont mind PS2 graphics dont spend your money on HD versions :)

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#7 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

The DMC HD collection is worth it, there's definetly an upgrade in the graphics! I can't speak on the other games because I don't own them.

Christiaan1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Christiaan1996
Member since 2014 • 98 Posts

Just get the PS2 versions and a PS2 secondhand...

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By psx2514

@christiaan1996: I already have the PS2 versions. Didn't you read my post?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I didn't play it, but I can still say the Silent Hill HD collection is terrible. Messed up visuals, bugged audio, framerate issues, etc. It is the worst HD collection ever made. Just play the PC versions if you want to play the games in HD.

GamerNerdTalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 1

#11 GamerNerdTalk
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

@psx2514: With the silent hill collection I would watch out for, compared to the PS2 version, the HD remake is nearly unplayable because Konomi lost the original file.

Okami HD was great if not better than the original in terms of frame rate and graphical presentation. Plus it is always nice playing games with a wireless controller.

I know you never listed these games, but

Zone of Enders, Jak, Sly, and Metal Gear Solid were all great Hd remakes of games

The biggest thing to look for is if you enjoyed the game before, and if you would ever want to play the game again

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

There is a bigger reason for a HD Remaster for a classic PS2 game than these remasters were getting for PS3 games.

the only problem I had with them, were the controls were still clunky, and however way you look at it, back when that game came out, the controls were amazing for the time but as we have grown, it just makes it real hard to play knowing the controls of todays games are so much smoother.

Christiaan1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Christiaan1996
Member since 2014 • 98 Posts

@psx2514:

No I didn't...sorry...but I still think the PS2 is better...it's the system those games were meant to be played on...

WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WolfgarTheQuiet

@WolfgarTheQuiet: Just got Hitman HD triligy because it was free on PS Plus and i have all 3 games on PC.

Now i started playing Contracts and it seems game looks on par with PC version (original). Colors look slightly better but it could be my TV settings which are different from HDM1 (PC) and HDMI2 (PS3,PS4).

I guess there is no concrete answer. Most games are best in original form unless there are other improvement besides graphics that will improve playing experience.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By psx2514

Will you all PLEASE stick to my topic, and not mention games I didn't ask about. I really don't care about the games I didn't ask about. This is a pretty specific question about specific games.

On that note. I'm really hoping someone can sell me on the Ratchet and Clank collection. I'm on the fence about getting it. I already own the PS2 versions of the 3 games (and a PS2 to play them on), and I want to know if the upgrade is worth my money when I could just play the originals. Please base your answer for that on personal experience with BOTH the PS2 versions and the HD collection. On the other hand, if the collection is terrible, you could also persuade me not to buy it if you give me evidence based on personal experience with both the PS2 versions AND the HD collection. I'm on the fence about this, and I need your all help deciding. Which ever side gives me the best argument (buy it, or don't), that's what I'll ultimately choose. And remember, I'm not asking about how good the games are. I'm asking if the HD upgrade is worth it.