Having a display problem with Resistance FOM or my PS3, HELP!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ultimameteora
Member since 2003 • 2573 Posts

Im having a problem with Resistance FOM or my PS3, in the "Conduits" area along the railroad tracks there are white specs and lines, I tried switching the HDMI cord, that cleared it up in another stage but it's still in the "Conduits" area, I wonder is it some glitch in the game or is somthing wrong with my PS3 or the game, I read about another console having this problem and someone said that its usually the video card.

any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated, I just got my ps3 so I can return it for another one if its that.

Hyper_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Hyper_52
Member since 2005 • 1340 Posts

I was one of the very few unlucky people to have a defective unit (I have since had it replaced at no cost).

My graphical problems where insignificant at first but over a period of a week started getting worse.

At first the sky textures in Resistance where getting white spots, then it was black and white spots.  Other textures started getting the same "snow" effect.  The main Sony menu when you boot up was getting red, green and black spots all over it.  When I took it back to the shop the owner told me that it was indeed faulty (I had tried 3 different televisions, 2 component leads, 1 composite lead, 1 hdmi cable, 2 power leads, 3 power boards).  He also exlaimed that the unit seemed to be producing more heat than usual (Not sure if thats true or not).  Anyhow, he swapped it over for another unit and it's been smooth sailing ever since.  It took me about 6 hours of surfing forums to find someone with the same problem, so it seems to be very rare.  I would strongly urge you to take your unit back and swap it as soon as possible.

ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ultimameteora
So you don't think it's the game itself, even though it's just one area?
choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts

So you don't think it's the game itself, even though it's just one area?ultimameteora

Does the problem occur anywherre else in Resistence ? or does it occur in any other games ?
      if not it could be Resistence -- if the problem occurs on multiple levels / games then its defietly PS3 ...

ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ultimameteora

Well I just tried using component cables in 480i and it still occurs.

the problem was occuring on two levels at first, now it just occurs on one level no matter what connection.

your thoughts?

Resistance is the only PS3 game I own, doesn't seem to occur in PS2 games.

ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ultimameteora
No scratches at all on the game, the PS3 is close to the wall but its close on the left side( the side you can sit it on), plus I read if it overheats the lights blink a certain way.
Crazy87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Crazy87
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts
wait i get the red green blue etc dots in my ps3 start menu thats normal no? in games looks fine
NickinAround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NickinAround
Member since 2003 • 3430 Posts
Those sound like symptoms of a overclocked video card that's overheating on the computer when you play games.
I couldn't tell you much...but when you overclock a card to much on the computer, it produces too much heat, and starts displaying "artifacts" on screen in games. Perhaps you aren't giving your PS3 sufficient ventilation? Otherwise, I couldn't tell you.
sm66612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sm66612
Member since 2004 • 453 Posts

Can you guys tell me about this problem a little more? I think I might have this problem too.:cry: Mostly all of my games have it.

They look white and kind of like static. They appear mostly on edges and on a far distance.

I'm worried.

If I have to return it, can someone tell me how an extended warranty works? Is my 3 year warranty void if I exchange my PS3 for a new one?

ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ultimameteora
"They look white and kind of like static. They appear mostly on edges and on a far distance" THATS EXACTLY WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!
Crazy87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Crazy87
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts

"They look white and kind of like static. They appear mostly on edges and on a far distance" THATS EXACTLY WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!ultimameteora

i get that to i think thats normal like on the ps3 menu its static i can see blue reg green white dots some times but when i go to another part of the menu or to psu store or a game there gone 

sm66612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sm66612
Member since 2004 • 453 Posts

[QUOTE="ultimameteora"]"They look white and kind of like static. They appear mostly on edges and on a far distance" THATS EXACTLY WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!Crazy87

i get that to i think thats normal like on the ps3 menu its static i can see blue reg green white dots some times but when i go to another part of the menu or to psu store or a game there gone

It only happens in games for me. The static part. :cry: 

ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ultimameteora
[QUOTE="Crazy87"]

[QUOTE="ultimameteora"]"They look white and kind of like static. They appear mostly on edges and on a far distance" THATS EXACTLY WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!sm66612

It only happens in games for me. The static part. :cry: 

SAME HERE, im thinking whether to try another PS3 game or to switch out my system??
Hyper_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hyper_52
Member since 2005 • 1340 Posts

I have replied directly via PM but for others here is my story.

I picked up a Honk Kong PS3 early March. Component Cable, Resistance and some other goodies. I hooked up the PS3 via the component cable and everything was all good. After a few days though I started getting a white snow effect, white pixels in horizontal lines in the sky textures on some levels. It wasnt too bad to begin with. It got worse with time. By the end I had black and white snow all through the sky and on certain other light coloured textures. I was getting polygon deformation on the Auto Assault 2 Demo, the boxers in Fight Night 3 had black pixels all through their skin textures. The XMB had green, black and red strobe lights all through it (Like flashing christmas lights). Even when I changed to a HDMI cable the problems persisted. I tried several different cables, televisions, power leads, power points, to no avail. I even stayed up for 6 hours one night searching the net and forums for someone with a similar problem. I took the unit back to the shop and tried my discs on another machine, they worked fine.  

I returned the console and swapped it for an Australian unit. Since then I have had no problems whatsoever. The shop owner and his supplier confirmed it was a defective unit.  I have since been told the odds are about 1 in 10,000.

If you are experiencing similar problems, I strongly urge you to return your console and have it replaced as soon as possible.

On a side note the store owner believed that my machine was running hotter than others. The console had been in a air conditioned room with plenty of breathing space (The new console is in the same location and running fine). I also noticed that our digital set top box was experiencing heavy interference even when the old PS3 was not turned on (But still connected with the read light on). Possibly the machine had an electrical fault? Im not sure.Â