Guerilla&Sony just Facepalmed as GTA will launch same day as Killzone Vita .

This topic is locked from further discussion.

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

Poor Vita can't seem to get a break. I thought Sept 17th was the perfect date as it gave just enough time to enjoy the game before the new consoles launch and it was in a window where there wasn't that many high profile games releasing . . . AND NOW THIS! GTA V will be launching the same day. Hardcore gamers will surely scramble to keep themselves busy with that game so they can be ready for the new consoles and their launch titles a month later. Poor little Killzone: Mercenary is going to get swallowed up in the chaos :shock: sales will suffer!!!

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Poor Vita can't seem to get a break. I thought Sept 17th was the perfect date as it gave just enough time to enjoy the game before the new consoles launch and it was in a window where there wasn't that many high profile games releasing . . . AND NOW THIS! GTA V will be launching the same day. Hardcore gamers will surely scramble to keep themselves busy with that game so they can be ready for the new consoles and their launch titles a month later. Poor little Killzone: Mercenary is going to get swallowed up in the chaos :shock: sales will suffer!!!

porkchopxp
Meh, I'll be buying Killzone and not GTA V.
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I don't think sales will suffer that greatly. Those interested in Killzone Mercenary will still probably purchase it, or at the worse purchase it later if GTAV is a priority. I think many Vita users are desperate for more games anyway, so I don't think the release of GTAV will hold them back from getting Killzone completely.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#4 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
It won't effect sales. Those wanting a new game for Vita will be hard pressed to say no to this one.
oddballrulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 oddballrulez
Member since 2004 • 1642 Posts
It won't effect sales. Those wanting a new game for Vita will be hard pressed to say no to this one.Rattlesnake_8
Hopefully this! (though I do believe it will have a slight impact!) If there's no PC GTAV then killzone without hesitation. If the PC version DID miraculously appear on the same day though... Both games shall be bought -.-
Avatar image for The_Golden_Age-
The_Golden_Age-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Golden_Age-
Member since 2012 • 172 Posts

It won't affect me at all as I don't care for GTA. You could be right though, about it losing some sales. On the other hand, I think the majority of the people who play GTA probably don't even know what Vita is.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Not going to stop me from getting Killzone Mercs day 1.

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts
They could just move the release of Killzone up a week.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

fight6kj4m.png

The Comment is *Cute* I don't its "Badass* at all. I just think their Idiots for releasing it on the same day, let alone the same week.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Toxic-Seahorse

fight6kj4m.png

The Comment is *Cute* I don't its "Badass* at all. I just think their Idiots for releasing it on the same day, let alone the same week.

Blake135

:lol: That's the best thing I've seen all day. Also, whoa re the idiots? Wasn't the Killzone release date announced first?

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#11 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
As the Vita's my only console at present, this really won't affect me.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Killzone isn't going to sell well either way and I doubt Rockstar even knew it was coming out on the date they picked for GTA.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blake135

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

fight6kj4m.png

Toxic-Seahorse

:lol: That's the best thing I've seen all day. Also, whoa re the idiots? Wasn't the Killzone release date announced first?

yeah my bad I didn't know GTA's release date was announced after Killzone's I don't really follow the GTA series. However I still think they should perhaps release it another week just to be sure, I rather the developer get as many Sales as possible.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

fight6kj4m.png

Blake135

yeah my bad I didn't know GTA's release date was announced after Killzone's I don't really follow the GTA series. However I still think they should perhaps release it another week just to be sure, I rather the developer get as many Sales as possible.

I think the markets are so different that it won't even matter. If Killzone Mercenary were on the PS3 it might make a difference but Vita owners aren't going to pass up Killzone to get GTA V, they'll either get both or just Killzone. Killzone looks way too good to miss on a system with almost no quality shooters. This is actually a case where I think the Vita's small game library will actually help Killzone. People are desperate (for a lack of a better term) for an actual good FPS and a great game all together that they will buy it even if they're not that interested in the Killzone universe.

lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts

It wont affect sales, but i don't think it will sell well either. Besides i won't buy GTA V. My brother will, i will cash in for Kizzy Mercenary :D

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

And what???

Its Febuary and the games will be out in September, so surely those tight on money can easily save up for 2 x games in 7 months :)

I'm getting both :)

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#17 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
I can bet that Rockstar didn't facepalm. They'd just steamroll any major release in sales, and they know it. :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#18 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I guess my view on the issue is that...  I don't think the games are really in direct competition anyway.

One is an FPS, one is a third-person sandbox game.  Right?

Both have lots of shooting and killing, I imagine, but I am sure the stories are probably very different.

I didn't even know there was a Killzone being made for the Vita, but I hope it turns out well since the system is in need of a good FPS.

DISSESHOWEDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DISSESHOWEDO
Member since 2010 • 1775 Posts

fight6kj4m.png

Blake135

Gettin both day one !

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
I think what some people meant to say was... "Killzone would sell a few extra copies more if there weren't other major titles being released around the same time." I for one would rather get Killzone...just my preference. I see GTAV getting some sort of discount promotions from retailers so I'll catch it then.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blake135

I just think The Buzz surrounding Killzone will be overshadowed by GTA. Just because WE know about Killzone doesn't mean others will, alot of *Gamers* that check Websites and Gaming Forums are a very small minority. What im saying is Maybe (Average Example) Someone doesn't have a Vita yet and Killzone could tip them over the edge, however I highly doubt they will even bother looking anywhere else when GTA is out with Retailers advertising the hell out of it most likely not bothering for for even a small ad for Killzone. Just seems like a Bad idea when Didn't the last GTA sell the Most Copes for a game in History so far ? Trying to go up against that is crazy, of course someone could say the games have *different auidences* but I recon most Vita Gamers and Just the General public won't even know Killzone Released when GTA comes around. They may not be competing directly but Retailers are sure as hell going to push GTA and forget about Killzone, just my 2 cents.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think sometimes people put too much stock in release dates.  I mean the release date is just the first day the game is available - it will be out long after that, and if it's a good game, people will still get it even after the first day.

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

I just think The Buzz surrounding Killzone will be overshadowed by GTA. Just because WE know about Killzone doesn't mean others will, alot of *Gamers* that check Websites and Gaming Forums are a very small minority. What im saying is Maybe (Average Example) Someone doesn't have a Vita yet and Killzone could tip them over the edge, however I highly doubt they will even bother looking anywhere else when GTA is out with Retailers advertising the hell out of it most likely not bothering for for even a small ad for Killzone. Just seems like a Bad idea when Didn't the last GTA sell the Most Copes for a game in History so far ? Trying to go up against that is crazy, of course someone could say the games have *different auidences* but I recon most Vita Gamers and Just the General public won't even know Killzone Released when GTA comes around. They may not be competing directly but Retailers are sure as hell going to push GTA and forget about Killzone, just my 2 cents.

Blake135

^^ This. What I meant for this post was not to claim that the games were in direct competition genre/scale-wise but I was inferring that they are in direct competition for the money in our wallets. If KZMerc has system selling potential as a top-notch, 1stperson, handheld game then there would be quite a few tempted, non-Vita-owning gamers out there that might have taken the plunge. However, a game like GTA crosses demographics and a large number of those gamers will pass on their curiousity for the Vita if GTA's out there grabbing their attention. Another thing, money's tight and time is valuable and I personally see a ton of gamers who like GTA(myself not included in that camp) that will have to make a choice: save money for the next-gen and maybe have enough for a game or 2 before the new consoles hit. No way KZmerc is going to move hardware when in a month's time the console-propers are going to launch. Sure, we here at the Vita forums have a vested interest in it's survival and know it's potential but for the mass of gamers that are luke-warm about it(the Vita), having Vita's "killer app," launch the same day as an industry blockbuster such as GTA is a losing proposition and bad news for the Vita any way you look at it.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

porkchopxp

^^ This. What I meant for this post was not to claim that the games were in direct competition genre/scale-wise but I was inferring that they are in direct competition for the money in our wallets. If KZMerc has system selling potential as a top-notch, 1stperson, handheld game then there would be quite a few tempted, non-Vita-owning gamers out there that might have taken the plunge. However, a game like GTA crosses demographics and a large number of those gamers will pass on their curiousity for the Vita if GTA's out there grabbing their attention. Another thing, money's tight and time is valuable and I personally see a ton of gamers who like GTA(myself not included in that camp) that will have to make a choice: save money for the next-gen and maybe have enough for a game or 2 before the new consoles hit. No way KZmerc is going to move hardware when in a month's time the console-propers are going to launch. Sure, we here at the Vita forums have a vested interest in it's survival and know it's potential but for the mass of gamers that are luke-warm about it(the Vita), having Vita's "killer app," launch the same day as an industry blockbuster such as GTA is a losing proposition and bad news for the Vita any way you look at it.

I never really viewed Killzone Mercenary as a system seller game. The brand just isn't strong enough. I could see how the release date might affect people thinking about buying the console as well but I was only talking about people buying the game.
The_King82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_King82
Member since 2009 • 47 Posts

All I know is that I'm getting KZM day one.  GTA is dead to me after the abomination that was GTA4.  Plus there are better alternatives(open-world game).  

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

By that logic they should dodge the quarter entirely.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I'd rather go for KZ at this time, as GTA IV was a disappointment, so unless something awesome is shown for GTA V I will hold off for a price drop/sale.  Now, if they'd make a GTA for the Vita, that would be something worth looking into (they did it for the PSP, it can't be that out of the question).

n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
[QUOTE="porkchopxp"]

Toxic-Seahorse
Meh, I'll be buying Killzone and not GTA V.

THIS :D